Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

Relieved. Even if it's not entirely true.

I think a great way to distract from this debacle would be to release some mind-blowing cool movie imagery. But that's just my humble opinion.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Quote from: Stan on 13 October, 2011, 08:34:37 PM
Relieved. Even if it's not entirely true.

I think a great way to distract from this debacle would be to release some mind-blowing cool movie imagery. But that's just my humble opinion.

yeah, they should have released some cool new pics with the joint statement.

Goaty

Sounds like if any latest photos still exclusive to Empire?

IAMTHESYSTEM

Back to the waiting game for us boarders.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

vzzbux

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 October, 2011, 12:45:07 PM
At least it kept us busy for a week or so.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

SKD

Quote from: vzzbux on 15 October, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 15 October, 2011, 12:45:07 PM
At least it kept us busy for a week or so.

V

Yep, now back in the box till someone gets the pokey stick out again.

Stew. :D

Hoagy

Quote from: Anderson's Shame on 12 October, 2011, 11:24:48 AM
Quote from: GordonR on 12 October, 2011, 10:30:14 AM
You're kidding, surely? I don't think Karl Urban's starred in a hit film yet. (And that's starred - i.e. him as the lead actor playing the lead character, so no Star Trek, Red or Lord of the Rings.)  Doom, Pathfinder and Priest (although he was second fiddle in that) were all attempts to launch him as an action star, and all of them were flops.

On the basis of available evidence so far, he's pretty solid in second banana parts (his McCoy was good - although you could have taken that character out the film and it wouldn't have made the slightest difference to anything) and he makes a great villain (Red, Bourne Supremacy and maybe Chronicles of Riddick) but he's yet to prove he can open a film on his own, as lead actor.

The logic that Trekkers are going to go and see Dredd because he played McCoy doesn't hold up. They didn't go and see Chris Pine in the big budget flop Unstoppable - and he's only Captain friggin' Kirk,  - so why would this work for the guy who plays McCoy?

And all these women fans of his, who still couldn't make his other starring vehicles a success  - they're going to go and see him in a film where his face is covered up the entire time?

I like Karl Urban - I do - but it's a big jump to assume he's going to be an major audience draw.

Glass half full much?

The only real thing any of us can hope for in the way of the film doing well enough to deserve a sequel is for it to be entertaining. There are too many factors that make no rational sense when it comes to box office takings, so as long as it's good, it will find an audience somewhere. Remember Dredd is known and loved outside of America, and many films today are made hits by their performance in foreign territories. The beauty of it being so low budget is that it could easily do that.

At this point no one can  tell what will happen, but I find it pointless throwing in the towel and giving up at such an early stage, because a success definitely doesnt come from such defeatest talk. The more people like sc*j* do that without seeing the finished product, the more likely it is that lazy journalists will pick up on  a negative buzz.

Thing is in all respects he should be playing alongside Mega-City One. So more of a supporting role.
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I think an interesting point has been raised here. This movie isn't just relying on how well Dredd can be adapted to the big screen on a limited budget, it's also relying on how well Urban can carry a leading role. I enjoyed him as McCoy and he did a good turn in Lord of the Rings. This forum will no doubt put his upcoming performance through a wringer of intense scrutiny. I look forward to it.
You may quote me on that.

JOE SOAP

Anthony Dod Mantle (cinematographer) talks a small bit about shooting Dredd around the 4:30 mark in the video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXtL9a-WEUw

Goaty

Oh lovely, as Total Film got new feature about 50 Performances that ruined movies, guess what? Stallone as Judge Dredd is there!

But like this;

The Performance: What should have been the meanest mofo of Mega City One is reduced to a cuddly kids cartoon character in the hands of Stallone. He even takes his helmet off – pretty much the biggest Dredd no-no there is.

How It Could've Been Rescued: By revealing at the end of the movie that Stallone's Dredd was actually an imposter - and he's about to get the shit kicked out of him by the real Dredd.

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-performances-that-ruined-movies/sylvester-stallone-judge-dredd-1995

PreacherCain

A little word from the man himself, John Wagner... taken from Laura Sneddon's rather good series of articles 'Comic Studies' on CBR, the whole things worth a read and there's a lot more from Wagner about 2000AD and Dredd etc.! || http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35243

On Dredd ::
QuoteWagner was unable to say much about the upcoming new Dredd film, explaining, "the trouble about this is, I've signed a non-disclosure. I would tell you a lot, but I'm never sure what I'm allowed to say." After some thought, he added, "I think the story is better. I wish, perhaps, that the budget had been a little greater. I'm going up to see the final cut next week and I'm hoping that they've corrected some of the problems that existed in the first cut. I can't really say more than that, but in terms of the plot, the structure of the story, it's much more representative of Dredd as he is"

Hmmm... so it appears Wagner also had problems with the first cut...

Asked whether Wagner dreams of retiring, the creator responded with a laugh, "I would like to! I would like to retire, but at the moment I can't afford to. I'm still enjoying it, but things take longer. I've done so many Dredds now, what do I do that's new? Yes, I'd like to quit, but I probably won't."

On the Button Man film ::
"I hope to be dead when they have to decide [ho Dredd's story ends]," Wagner deadpanned. "When we started the comic, our idea in the way of DC Thompson's comics, [was] that no character should feature permanently...but it was the IPC way, if you've got a winner, keep it going. So when Dredd was created, I never envisioned there would be a problem with the year on year aging. And in actual fact, in terms of writing, I prefer it that way, because much of the character development [that] has come in Dredd has been through his aging and through his maturing as he's getting near retirement, I suppose. It won't happen in my lifetime."

Asked about the possibility of a Button Man film, Wagner responded, "Well, Button Man has been optioned to DreamWorks for 4 or 5 years now, and they've had trouble getting the script. I think they have difficulty getting out of the Hollywood cliché machine. The good thing about Spielberg is that he won't accept that, he's kept it on, he's determined to get something that reflects the darkness of the book and I'm glad of that, but I think this may be the last renewal. But there are several other people who want to run it. In fact, DNA, the people who are doing the Judge Dredd film, would like to do Button Man as well. Eventually it will come, when we get the right script."

Beaky Smoochies

John Wagner didn't actually say he had a problem with the early cut he saw, he just said he hoped they'd corrected some of the problems in the early rough cut, well almost every rough cut has problems, that's why the editing process lasts for several months on average, and it takes time to iron those problems out and settle on a final cut that pleases the production team... the most encouraging thing about John Wagner's comments are that he's going up to see "the final cut" next week, meaning NO RESHOOTS (sorry Michaelvk), which by extension means those (completely unsubstantiated) media reports last month of less-than-thrilling footage being turned in are clearly inaccurate, I'm pretty excited now I know the footage shot is just fine and that the post-production is pretty much done, wonder if this means we'll get a teaser trailer by Christmas...!? 
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

James Stacey

It's also good he clearly still has a voice in the process. I doubt he saw 95 Dredd before it was released. If he is being shown rough cuts to comment on we should hopefully end up with something fine tuned to be very Dredd.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 03 November, 2011, 08:25:13 AM
I'm pretty excited now I know the footage shot is just fine and that the post-production is pretty much done,

'Final Cut' doesn't mean post-production is done. It just means, the assembly cut has been tuned to a point where the film content is fully structured/edited and the story/acting is full and complete. There could still be a good few months of FX work on certain shots to be done on the plus mixing and scoring.

JOE SOAP

'nother Domhnall Gleeson snippet in print:

CLICK: If we can talk about Dredd for a minute – you shot earlier this year for a 2012 release. Can you talk about your character in that at all? I couldn't find much about it at all!
DG: Yea, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say anything, I think I signed some stuff! I only did two weeks on Dredd – it's not a huge role but I feel in some way he could represent the troubled heart of that kind of world. This awful society where Dredd's a figure of hope is really interesting. So I was really proud of working on this. I love Alex Garland [screenwriter on Dredd] as well. So my character is very important actually. Also I've got mad makeup and things.

Not this Dredd...

CLICK: And do you get to do any action?
DG: No not action stuff. I got to be dragged around and tortured a little bit basically but that's about it. I had a ball on it because the cinematographer was Anthony Dod Mantle [28 Days Later, 127 Hours] who is just gifted.

CLICK: I understand the film is shot in 3D – what was that process like on set – as an actor and possibly a future filmmaker?
DG: Yea I think 3D is really integral to how we're telling this story, it's actually really important in terms of the nature of the story – I think it will become clear when it comes out. And also because you've not just got a guy who know how to use 3D but you've got Anthony Dod Mantle in doing it. And the scope of his movies is just amazing, he's just really interested by light. Having an artist behind the camera is really important. It was kind of wonderful, it was really freeing. And I've just been working with Seamus McGarvey [Anna Karenina] and I've also worked with Roger Deakins! [True Grit] It's kind of amazing. So that's been really, really exciting working with all those guys.

http://www.clickonline.com/movies/interview-domhnall-gleeson/4000/