Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spaceghost

Oh yeah, I think some of the design work is great. The city, vehicles, costumes are all cool.

The story though; crap. It's nerdy wish fulfilment, sub - 'magical girlfriend anime' wank fantasy.

The alien grunts; crap. The Saturday Morning Cartoon baddies; crap, Chris Tucker; The Worst Thing Ever Commited To Film, the comedy monks; crap. That's all I can remember about it now. I've purged my brain of the rest of the awfulness.

Of course, this is all just my opinion. If you dig it, fair do's.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

CraveNoir

Hotel Transylvania is a 3D animation, appealing to families.

House at the End of the Street looks like the date movie of the weekend. It's low budget with a female lead, and a cynical guess would be that it's not expected to do well and has been pushed closer to the Halloween flicks to get some business.

I'd be more concerned about the previous week's Argo -- the true story of a rescue during the Iranian Hostage Crisis. That's going to get a lot of attention in America. Also the Bruce Willis helmed Looper sounds like it'll crush Dredd's second weekend.

Fuzzed

It really is all subjective; I absolutely loved Fifth Element, thought it was funny as hell, fell in love with Milla, fell in love with Gary Oldman all over again and adored Ian Holm. And I liked Tucker too.

Whereas Argo? I'd run the other way.

Looper, I'd see that, but I think crushing is a bit extreme. There's a likely overlap of target audience there, so I'm still optimistic. I can't be the only one who'll see both.

And re Wagner - the man's been burnt once already. If I were him, I'd definitely be cautious too. I'm trying to imagine myself in his shoes - dream come true, something you create is getting the big movie treatment, and what happens? In your face codpiece. Gutted.

Psidude

Do you think there will be a 1 minute documentary on the PR of the dredd film when we get a dvd blu-ray? ;)

Misanthrope

Quote from: Psidude on 24 January, 2012, 07:55:18 PM
Do you think there will be a 1 minute documentary on the PR of the dredd film when we get a dvd blu-ray? ;)

Now you are just being silly...

...it won't be that long.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Goaty

Quote from: Misanthrope on 24 January, 2012, 08:43:06 PM
Quote from: Psidude on 24 January, 2012, 07:55:18 PM

Now you are just being silly...

...it won't be that long.

well there is 24 frames in one second? So... about 12 frames worth of Documentary?  :lol:

Psidude

The Sherman Kid

Just seen The Darkest Hour with Olivia Thirlby in it.This movie is slated by so-called critics on IMBD but I
actually enjoyed it.The premise was very interesting , the effects were good and it had some unique action scenes (that alone puts it above a lot of films).It lacked a high quality script and characterisation and included a fair number of dubious if not dumb  choices made by the characters, but they were teenagers after all (those who perennially chose to investigate a 'strange noise' outside ,armed only with a flashlight and lots of testostrone).
Given what she had to work with, which is what you can only judge someone on, I think Olivia Thirlby was great in it, I now have higher expectations for her as Anderson and that she will deliver. :) 

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 January, 2012, 11:13:23 PMI think Olivia Thirlby was great in it,

I have to agree, that film wasn't too bad considering it's budget but she was just about the only memorable thing in the movie.

Gonk

You can never trust film reviews. I've read lots that have panned a film only to find out later when I got round to viewing it that it was really good, and vice versa. It seems a lot of these so called reviews are politically motivated by those in the film industry. My guess is the critics are going to give DREDD about 2 ## out of ##### , but that the film itself for a general audience would be much in the way you've described The Darkest hour, and that 2000ad fans will love it.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 24 January, 2012, 11:13:23 PM[It] included a fair number of dubious if not dumb  choices made by the characters, but they were teenagers after all (those who perennially chose to investigate a 'strange noise' outside ,armed only with a flashlight and lots of testostrone).

That's also one of the more annoying criticisms levelled at horror films. I'd hazard a guess most people in real life do indeed investigate strange noises because, y'know. The whole killer lying-in-wait thing? That sort only happens to other people. Or those idiots wot populate all those stupid horror films.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: wonkychop on 25 January, 2012, 06:56:34 AM
You can never trust film reviews. I've read lots that have panned a film only to find out later when I got round to viewing it that it was really good, and vice versa. It seems a lot of these so called reviews are politically motivated by those in the film industry.

Very true. I've had the same experience. The film will be fine no matter what as a kind of a pantomime homage to the comic. Although Hollywood would love us all to think film is the higher medium, it's not, the comic cannot be surpassed in this case. Like great books, the medium and story are one.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Third Estate Ned

I agree with the S. Moore about the comic being the primary medium for the character, regardless of how the film is. It reminded me of another Moore's comment, when he was discussing Watchmen the film vs. the comic.

"When it's just lines on paper, the reader is in control of the experience – it's a tableau vivant. And that gives it the necessary distance. It's not the same when you're being dragged through it at 24 frames per second."

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/mar/16/alan-moore-watchmen-lost-girls

I love daydreaming about MC1 when I see better examples of the artwork. Recent examples I liked were in Mandroid and the Henry Flint collection. If the film doesn't work out the way we want, it's just one party's vision of what everyone else has their own mental version of. Alternatively, even if the comic can't be surpassed, the film might provide a new way of considering what we see on the page and could improve the experience.

Michaelvk

Regarding the documentary side of things.. I got interviewed for a bit longer than a second on what I was up to.. Unless it gets cut out because of you-know-what..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

weehawk

Quote from: Teivion on 24 January, 2012, 03:22:45 PM
'Reshoots' doesnt actually mean they have ditched a whole setup, no matter how good your storyboard and DOP etc etc there is always a chance of something missed, and not an indication of anything negative going on.

To me it shows they are polishing rather than just working with what they have got .....

Anyone reflecting on the rather lukewarm comments about the behind the scenes 'news' ought to watch 'The Making Of RoboCop' as an example of on set problems etc often meaning sod all to the success of the finished film.

Over budget, over deadline, and the first action film by a 'new' director, the set was frequented by the financers worried over their investment, and a horrid place to work, esp in the 110 odd degrees heat of the set.

The suit was taken one direction only to be redesigned at the last minute, a result of which meant the SFX artist (Rob Bottin) behind it wouldnt even speak to the Director. The suit itself only arrived on set the day of the first day of filming- and took a further 11 hours to finish fit over Peter Weller. He'd trained his robot movements with a choreographer for months only to find that with the suit on all the training wouldnt work.
The suit was considered pivotal point of the film, dont forget.

Oh- and dont forget the reshoots and delays The Predator went through when the original design of suit failed to perform on site..

Read Luc Besson's The Fifth Element book and you would think he hated every moment on set ( he prob did)

Most of the crew hated Ridley Scott while shooting Blade Runner

None of them turned out as bad movies....

...and don't forget James Cameron with The Terminator.