Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Dude fucking really? To use an apt analogue, if Seals or the Dogs of the sea Cetaceans are our equals. They are seriously bloody clever by any standard.

Theblazeuk

The % of your brain you use is 100%.

Steve Green

One of our dinosaurs is missing...

I'm pretty sure I never saw it as a kid.

OK, everyone's a cartoonish stereotype in it, but even so...

Hawkmumbler

Worth it for the John Pertwee cameo as an eccentric British type. Or was he playing himself...

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 29 December, 2014, 10:09:53 AM
Dude fucking really? To use an apt analogue, if Seals or the Dogs of the sea Cetaceans are our equals. They are seriously bloody clever by any standard.

They say pigs are very smart, but we still get bacon.

Hawkmumbler

Intelligence is subjective. Terrestrial and marine life are non-comparable.

Groups of Dolphins are unique. Each one has it's own language based on clicks and murmurs on a base wavelength that is understandable only to other members of the pod. They have a sense of family, sexual desire and identity, self awareness, hygiene and complex positive and negative relations with other Dolphins. And don't get me started on bloody Orcas! I swear to god they be smarter than us!

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 29 December, 2014, 10:22:57 AM
The % of your brain you use is 100%.

Indeed. Natural Selection wouldn't have much patience with you lugging about a massively energy consuming organ that makes childbirth ludicrously risky if 90% of it was dead weight. You'd very quickly end up with a species with a brain 10% of the 'size' but using 100% of its capacity, i.e. humans.

Bat King

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. - DVD I received for Christmas.

Enjoyed it in the cinema (wrote a review) and noticed a few things this time round that I didn't originally.

Firstly, in my review I hypothesise that the ASL used is abbreviated, I now know having read about it that that is indeed the case.

Both Caesar and Blue Eyes cry... Chimpanzees don't cry. I missed that on the big screen. Now if I am accepting that [spoiler]the Apes have mutated due to the drugs used on them mutating in to a virus[/spoiler] I guess I have to accept this...

Anyway - not a fan of reboots in general but loving this one & hope the planned sequel sees light of day.

In the mean time there are PotA comics :)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Buttonman

Following a read of a biography I went for the full Fassbender.

X-Men : First Class : Didn't fancy this at the time but I really enjoyed it. Not too serious but plenty of action and some great hammy Bacon.

Fish Tank : Grimy kitchen sink drama - not pleasant on any level but strangely captivating.

Frank : Fell apart in the third act for me but quirky stuff and good fun.

Centurion : Cracking bit of Picts vs Romans action - not much of a plot but lots of slashings.

Haywire Good action and stunts but a plot bypass.

Eden Lake Really nasty yuppies v yobs thriller that doesn't end well for anyone.

Still got 'A Dangerous Method', 'Shame', 'Hunger' and '10 Years a Slave' to get through. Saw 'Promethius' and 'Inglorious Basterds' a while back and may revisit later. The biography was rubbish BTW - 'unauthorised' - basically a compilation of gossip mags and second hand interviews. Good ator though - ever film has something worth watching.

and

Carry on Abroad A strangely high entry in Channel 5's 'Top Ten Carry Ons' - as rubbish as I remembered .'At your Convenience' remains my firm favourite.

Ghost MacRoth

10 years a slave?

Is it a shorter version then? :p
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Buttonman

Time off for good behaviour.

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dominic O'Rourke on 29 December, 2014, 09:17:58 AM
"
This seems wrong to me as I think I do know that while Dolphins are supposed to be surpriseingly bright for fishy-mammals. They are still dumb by our own standards.

Is this correct?"

So long.

And thanks for all the fish.

As Douglas Adams said:

Quote"For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons."

...so basically dolphins are definitely cleverer.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Guardians of the Galaxy

Stupid fun. Which was exactly what was expected and wanted at the time.

High praise from Mrs X: "Actually, that was quite good."

Never your Empire 5 stars, put that quote on the cover.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

Just been see Night at the Museum Part 3 with missus (there was few subtitled films), wow that was laugh-free film! But the highlight was [spoiler]Hugh Jackman's Wolverine acting growl! [/spoiler]