Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Quote from: Drinking Problem on 20 June, 2015, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 June, 2015, 11:44:47 AMA Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - worst vampire film ever.

It's a black and white feminist western about a skateboarding vampire stalking the residents of an Iranian ghost town.  You were only ever going to love or hate that one.

With that description you've made it seem.interesting to me!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Mardroid on 20 June, 2015, 07:36:19 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 June, 2015, 11:44:47 AMA Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - worst vampire film ever.

It's a black and white feminist western about a skateboarding vampire stalking the residents of an Iranian ghost town.  You were only ever going to love or hate that one.

With that description you've made it seem.interesting to me!

Yup! I'm back on board again!

shaolin_monkey

It was pretty much that description that encouraged me to see it. The skateboarding bit is mildly amusing, as is a cat. Also a drug dealer provides an interesting diversion for a few minutes.  The rest is booooooooooring.

Jeez, I feel myself nodding off again just thinking about it.

Famous Mortimer

Bill And Ted's Bogus Journey

"Dont overlook my butt, I work out all the time. And reaping burns a lot of calories."

Mattofthespurs

In Bruges

Having been to Bruge twice in the last 8 months I finally got around to watching this.
Excellent film. Very funny and quite touching too.
Also very, very sweary...Which helps  :D

von Boom

The Wedding Ringer. Not a great film but it was great to see Judge Anderson Olivia Thirlby again. I may be biased but she was one of the few shining points of the film.

Mattofthespurs

Annie Hall.

Never seen it before and was really looking forward to it.

It disappointed. Keaton is gorgeous and there are some very funny observations but overall it falls flat to me. Doesn't help that I can't get past Woody Allen's sexual past.

ThryllSeekyr

Was watching Young Frankenstein yesterday and the attractiveness of Teri Garr and watched The Theory of  Everything, you know about Stephen Hawkings and not sure they showed how it all happened.

Keef Monkey

Bea and myself have recently stumbled on the How Did This Get Made podcast and after listening to a couple of episodes have decided (foolishly) to work through all the films featured. So, starting with episode one we watched Burlesque. Wow. What a glorious mess of a movie.

I'll admit to only having a passing knowledge of what Burlesque is but it's pretty clear that's more of knowledge than the film-makers had. Cher looks like a mad waxwork (there's one scene where she's really emotional but I couldn't tell until another character commented on it). When she cries it's reminiscent of that bit in Expendables when Stallone and Rourke get totes emosh.

It's surreal that there's a whole thing about lip-syncing where everyone mimes for the first half of the film but Aguilera wants to sing live but Cher keeps banging on about how Burlesque is people miming so she can't, and then when it turns out she can really sing Cher goes aye alright then, and then for the rest of the film everyone is still miming, just even less convincingly and to bad hip hop dance tracks which are apparently being played by 2 acoustic guitars and a percussionist. The swearing spattered throughout is really jarring, it gives the impression the film thinks it's a gritty edgy drama when it's basically just High School Musical in a nightclub. Every time it happened it felt shocking because I realized 'MY GOD THIS FILM THINKS IT'S FOR GROWNUPS!'.

It's a bit of a 'so bad it's good' affair, but even at that it's about an hour too long given there's almost no story and none of the musical numbers are memorable at all (well, Kristen Bell's routine was memorable, but that's more to do with my crush on Kristen Bell than anything else).

Sort of worth it for that and the bit where Cher sings a ballad at in the empty club and it's the cheesiest thing ever and so, so bad that Bea is now threatening to come down the aisle to it. Oh and Aguilera's audition is incredible, I think she's doing some sort of cat or rabbit impression, and it might have been a genuine dance routine but it's edited to make her look like she's having some sort of psychotic episode.

Basically it's brilliant, 10/10.

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 22 June, 2015, 10:38:36 AM
Bea and myself have recently stumbled on the How Did This Get Made podcast and after listening to a couple of episodes have decided (foolishly) to work through all the films featured. So, starting with episode one we watched Burlesque. Wow. What a glorious mess of a movie.
I love that podcast too, but be warned that some of the later episodes are them almost constantly interrupting each other to get their observations in, and they deliberately misunderstand some pretty obvious stuff in order to make jokes (most notably, "Sleepaway Camp"). Plus, they're idiots about "Hudson Hawk", which I will defend against anyone.

pictsy

I had the original Dawn of the Dead on in the background today whilst I was working.  I had only seen the remake before and had little interest in watching the original because of that (and the - imo - less than stellar, Land of the Dead).  I saw some gushing reviews of the Dead series from a fan on YouTube a while back and it's sat in my mind since then that I would like to give Dawn and Day a watching.

Firstly, it's a good background movie.  I was following it surprisingly well without it having my complete attention.  I didn't miss anything significant for following the plot.  Secondly, it is considerably better than the remake.  I actually have less respect for the Snyder version than I did before just because I now have a frame of comparison.  Lastly, as it's own film it is pretty good.  It's not heavy handed, it has a decent humour and I was pleased with the characterisation.  The four leads were all great in their roles.  The story is nice and concise with it's focus on the characters and the logistics of the tasks they set out to achieve.  It was an interesting and entertaining film with the most brightly coloured blood I have seen since Evil Dead.  I would certainly watch it again in the future.

Next up will be it's sequel which I am looking forward to more as I know less about it and haven't heard as much hype surround it.  From what little I have seen it looks very interesting and appropriately different.

Karl Stephan

Jurassic World aka Dances with Dinos aka The Velociraptor Whisperer aka We're just making shit up now.

Richmond Clements

QuoteWe're just making shit up now.

You mean they weren't before?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 23 June, 2015, 09:22:53 AM
You mean they weren't before?

Jurassic Park movies not documentaries shocker! Film at eleven.

Cheers

jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.