Main Menu

John M Burns Retires

Started by Barrington Boots, 03 October, 2023, 01:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

https://downthetubes.net/2000ad-and-look-in-artist-john-m-burns-announces-his-retirement-biography-in-the-works

I love John's work. He's done some incredible work over the years, both for the Prog and beyond. I always feel his 2000ad work combines action storytelling a bit of what I think of as Ladybird book style about it - lovely old school handpainted images, vividly coloured and so rich in true to life detail and 60s aesthetic - as well dynamism and a real knack for beautiful character portrayals. I'd hoped he'd be drawing something new following The Order: shame we won't see anything new from him, but a well-earned retirement.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Blue Cactus

IndigoPrime

A giant. Glad that he got to see out The Order, even if he didn't seem thrilled about drawing all those big robots!

Richard

It would be good if Tharg could coax one last cover or star scan out of him before he stops.

Le Fink

What a career. Everything I've seen of his has been great, and particularly Nikolai Dante.

Hawkmumbler

Johns work on Dante was one of those great 'Woah, comics can DO that?' moments of my life. I would love to see him do the occasional star scan or cover, but even if its not for years and a day the mans earned his rest and keep.
One of the progs best.

Colin YNWA

Yeah saw this on the FB John Burns group and hope the messages are being past onto him from there. Go join in .

As said an amazing body of work and while it might not be the best of circumstances to be made to retire I hope it gives him time to reflect on the immense joy he's brought so many.

The Legendary Shark

This would qualify for another Secret Project, methinks. Alas, I no longer have the resources (or credibility, I fear). A great artist; I'll miss his work but hope he has a long and peaceful retirement.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Corinthian

JayzusB.Christ

Wishing him a long and happy retirement - by grud, he's earned it. One of the greats.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

karlos

Remember first seeing his work in the 80s Eagle, on Fists of Danny Pyke, and loved him ever since.

I truly hope he has a fantastic retirement.

AlexF

A true legend, of British comics in general but very much 2000AD in particular - I'd never seen or heard of him before he showed up on Dredd in the very early 90s, but his blend of realsitcally depicted people in loopy sci-fi worlds was perfect.

Obviously sad he won't draw strips any more, but so good that it's not coming with a death announcement. Retirement not to be sniffed at! (Especially when my bank tells me I mustn't even think of it til I'm 80, if I want to keep my mortgage...)

Richard

I don't know if the page count makes this unfeasible, but it would be cool if Rebellion published a complete collection of John Burns' Judge Dredd stories, or some other showcase of his work for Tharg.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

davidbishop

John has painted close to 400 pages of Dredd strip, excluding the first two parts of The Exterminator which was finished by Frejo.