Main Menu

MEG 321 - American Reaper , sexy ostriches?

Started by strontium71, 22 February, 2012, 10:32:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Megazine on a Wednesday? It's one step away from anarchy I tells ya. See what happens when you start mucking about though? No floppy!

American Reaper (plus all the crappy filler spoof adverts) takes up far too much space, but here's looking forward to a summer without it. Nice ostriches though.

Rest of the Meg looks lush though

mygrimmbrother

Terrible cover. Bad idea, poorly executed. Enjoy aspects of the meg but seriously weighing up whether to bother with it anymore. The promise of more AR is just the final nail in the coffin I think.

JUDGE BURNS

My MEG was on my doorstep when I got back home tonight.  No GN included in the bag and I agree a , one of the worst covers for a long while....I am now off to read my MEG.

James Stacey

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 February, 2012, 01:40:26 PM
The snapshot is 16 pages long.
I should add I assumed a 'snapshot' of AR was included in next months not a series called snapshot.

vzzbux

I didn't notice there wasn't a floppy until I approached this thread.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Steve Green

Quote from: James Stacey on 22 February, 2012, 08:09:56 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 22 February, 2012, 01:40:26 PM
The snapshot is 16 pages long.
I should add I assumed a 'snapshot' of AR was included in next months not a series called snapshot.

No... Jock/Diggle series, no idea how long it's running for...

Bolt-01

Another one here who enjoys American Reaper. It really works well IMO.

Richard

I like American Reaper. It's different, and the Megazine should try out things which "divide the readership" now and then. John Hickleton's art for example. Some of my favourite stories and artists are ones which I disliked when I first encountered them. As for it being the "final nail in the coffin" for the Megazine, if it survived the shit that was being printed in the 1990s then it can survive 7 episodes of some outstanding Clint Langly art and some pretty interesting ideas. I'm looking forward to the second part.

mygrimmbrother

Fair point Richard, I just meant it's likely to be the final nail in the coffin for me personally. I hope the meg will be around for many years to come, and I'm sure it will be.

Leigh S

The sexiest ostrich is Octavia... Er I mean, no Death  Planet for me either...

Chalk me up as another one enjoying AR (The Darkness not withstanding)

Taryn Tailz

I've never bought the meg really but decided to try late last year. I gave up after two issues as I wasn't reading American Reaper, which takes up so much of the meg. I think the meg is pricey as it is but when im not reading a large chuck of it I had to consider it a waste of money. I really want to give the meg a chance but Im not gonna bother untill the (rumoured?) Simping Detective series appears and American Reaper is gone.

Grey M@a

When did Meg 321 come out for subs? Can't say I've had mine as yet. Will phone them tomorrow to see if one was sent out, if not then hopefully will get a replacement :)

James Stacey

Well it's not due to be sent till Saturday so you have a couple of days yet before you worry.

Grey M@a

Fair enough, with them being sent out early I assumed the whole batch had gone early. I will keep an eye out for it and if nothing by Monday will drop them a line :)

Proudhuff

Quote from: King Trout on 22 February, 2012, 11:52:59 AM
I'm afraid it didn't take long to read.

The lead Dredd story is good enough, although kind of light. It's about Jeremy Kyle coming to the Meg. I'm sad to say I spent much of it predicting, correctly, what was going to happen next.

It's the last episode of Armitage, and the final panel made me grin. I'm not sure my suspension of disbelief stretches to the theory that [spoiler]judges' DNA can be booby-trapped,[/spoiler] but it's all science fiction so I'm not going to worry about it.

American Reaper isn't for me, I'm afraid. It has, at least, ended for now. It's back in the "fall".

Again, Strange and Darke is (IMO) the best thing in the Meg. It's now openly referencing the Wicker Man, which is kind of a relief as its influence is so obvious. But it has lots of great ideas in it and I'm loving the uncontrollable extra voice. It's a bit exposition-heavy this month, but hey-ho. Colin MacNeil drew it, so I'm happy.

Next month: the return of Diggle and Jock! Thank Drokk for that.

- Trout

I think Trout says it all here more or less, except the cover seems a bit left field, aimed at who? and the whole AR adverts are just a waste of expensive space especially the derogatory boob job bit, the text  bits are fine with a chat with some newbie artists, lack of Dreddlines leaves me wondering if there is nothing but negative comments about AR flooding the meg-office so best say nothing?
DDT did a job on me