Main Menu

What happened to Myra Hancock?

Started by norton canes, 17 January, 2018, 03:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

norton canes

Just watched The 2000 AD ABC #93: Tao De Moto

It's not a strip with which I'm familiar, having begun my 26-year 2000 AD hiatus a few months before it began in prog 723, but it sounds interesting - shame it hasn't been collected. Does anyone know what happened to its writer, Myra Hancock? A Google search only seems to reveal details of her early indie work, Tao De Moto, and Sticky Fingers for Crisis. Did she give up on comics after that?

Professor Bear

I love how this board can answer absolutely any question within minutes about what story featured "a robot with a laser shouting at things" or "a man who possibly had an arse", but when someone asks "why don't more women write comics?" we're as stumped for an answer as anywhere else.

Jim_Campbell

Amazon has a couple of books, including one prose from 2011 that seems (?) autobiographical-ish. Otherwise Google isn't much help. Beyond that, I got nuffink.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Colin YNWA

No idea but I'm a big fan of Sticky Fingers, just a fantastic slice of life series that was a delight to read.

JayzusB.Christ

Feck. I misread that as Myra Hindley and was wondering what such a question was doing in this section of the forum.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 18 January, 2018, 06:11:36 PM
Feck. I misread that as Myra Hindley and was wondering what such a question was doing in this section of the forum.

Oh thank God it wasn't just me...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Molch-R

Having chatted to David Hine about Tao De Moto some time last year, I believe Myra now lives in the far east and, if I remember correctly (there was beer involved at the time so I'm not 100%) doesn't write anymore.

norton canes

Thanks. Hope she's happy and fulfilled.

IndigoPrime

I recall the response to Tao De Moto at the time wasn't exactly positive. I always found it a bit different and quite intriguing. Has it ever been reprinted? Barney suggests the entire run was 55 pages, and then there was an eight-page text story in a winter special. (A Bollard-written and illustrated 'whatever happened' was then in the '93 special. I don't recall that at all.)

EDIT: Just had a read of the Bollard one – it's a prologue to a new run that never happened.

Molch-R

IndigoPrime

Aha – nice to see it was included in the ABC. (I don't do a lot of YouTube; I should probably check out more.) Surely a floppy candidate, if the text story's also concluded (assuming it can be).

TordelBack

Only thing wrong with Tao De Moto was that it was too damn short,  both week-to-week and overall. A missed chance for something quite different.

Darren Stephens

I loved both Tao De Moto and Sticky Fingers. Both had great art too, If I recall correctly.  ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

norton canes