Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rara Avis

I just watched this ad and wondered 'Why are John Lewis making an ad about colonialism?'

Funt Solo

Quote from: Rara Avis on 04 November, 2021, 03:42:34 PM
I just watched this ad and wondered 'Why are John Lewis making an ad about colonialism?'

It does rather portray the white person as vastly superior in ability and intellect. Oops?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Rara Avis

This is up there with Bob Geldof asking 'Do they know it's Christmas?'.

Yes Robert after all those years of forced Christianisation under the guise of bringing civilisation to the savages, Africans are well aware of this rebranded pagan festival.

Having said that I can't wait to see JL's new cholera blanket range or Trail of Tears exclusive lingerie sets.

Funt Solo

Obvious difference being John Lewis is lining its own pockets whereas Sir Bob was trying to stop people from starving to death by appealing to our understanding of Christmas.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Both of them all about money, though. Money to make a profit, money to save lives.

Money, money everywhere - and not a pot to piss in.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 November, 2021, 06:01:21 PM

It does rather portray the white person as vastly superior in ability and intellect. Oops?

To be fair, it doesn't get much whiter than that person (if indeed 'person' can be used to describe a different species).  I liked the ad anyway; as ads go it's quite a nice one.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 04 November, 2021, 10:18:08 PM
Quote from: Funt Solo on 04 November, 2021, 06:01:21 PM

To be fair, it doesn't get much whiter than that person (if indeed 'person' can be used to describe a different species).  I liked the ad anyway; as ads go it's quite a nice one.

It is a nice ad. I'm a terrible cynic.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I'd say you're quite a good cynic. :)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

The Metropolitan police has said it will not investigate the Downing Street Christmas party widely reported to have been held last year. In a much awaited statement, the force said it had a policy of not retrospectively investigating alleged breaches of coronavirus laws. But policing and prosecution sources told the Guardian there was no reason in law for police not to investigate, and essentially the Met's decision was a choice. A former Met police chief said the force was acting as judge and jury.
but all crime is investigated retrospectively. so this is dredd coming true a little early. not only are the police now judge and jury, but implicit in this position is the suggestion that the police will now only investigate alleged misdemeanours committed in the future (e.g. city of the damned).

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 09 December, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
The Metropolitan police has said it will not investigate the Downing Street Christmas party widely reported to have been held last year.

Well, after they flatly refused to investigate clear evidence of criminal breaches of election law by the various 'Leave' factions in the EU referendum,* I'm not really surprised by this.

* ISTR they said they don't involve themselves in political matters. Meaning that there is literally no point in having election laws, because any investigation is going to have a political dimension — it's the entire reason for the laws to exist.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

CalHab

The Met is not keen on biting the hand that feeds it.

They much prefer to beat up women at peaceful vigils and persecute minorities.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

that would be the vigil that had more or less finished when the police decided to retrospectively invoke emergency covid legislation to brutalise and arrest those who had allegedly broken such laws.
hmmm ... reassuring that we're all still so very equal in the eyes of the law.

von Boom

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 09 December, 2021, 09:27:05 AM
all crime is investigated retrospectively. so this is dredd coming true a little early. not only are the police now judge and jury, but implicit in this position is the suggestion that the police will now only investigate alleged misdemeanours committed in the future (e.g. city of the damned).
Maybe they didn't have the minority report.

Funt Solo

Probably key here is the thought (for Boris - the Johnson - Johnson) that he can wave all of this away rather easily because the voting sums all still add up. All the people who wanted him to be tough on immigration, and to tell Europe to get f*cked, probably also think you should be able to party hearty regardless of any public health concerns.

All of the annoyed people - scientists, middle-class liberals & reporters - don't add up to a coherent opposition given the current electoral system. 
++ A-Z ++  coma ++