Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Today I learned that claymore is an English bastardisation of the Scots for "great big sword". I found that quite pleasing
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

That got me looking, and finding that "galore" is also borrowed from (the) Gaelic, which makes the movie Whisky Galore even better.

Turns out that any D&D players who hate bards have the Gauls to blame.

The one that really got me is that the surname Mackintosh just means "son of the chief".

Wait - Strontium is Sròn an t-Sìthein - I wonder that the Gaelic for dog is? Oh, right: cù.

So, Sròn an t-Sìthein Cù, starring Johnny Alpha
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Quote from: Funt Solo on 01 July, 2021, 07:20:22 PM
So, Sròn an t-Sìthein Cù, starring Johnny Alpha

Seán Beith* surely

*first letter of the Ogham "alphabet"

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

"Changeling" child born to English nobility in the 14th/15th century, kept hidden away in a room in Glamis Castle. Grows up and escapes into Highlands. Becomes a warrior in the same vein as William Wallace and Robert The Bruce. Fights for Scottish independence alongside his friends, a Scotsman named McNulty, a Norseman called Wulf, and a haggis with a heart condition.

There are rumours that the Sleagh Maith have bestowed magical powers upon him including the second sight. Other rumours state that Seánie Beith and his wife, Red Agnes, murder passers by and drag them off to their lair to loot and eat them, but this is widely considered to be English propaganda.

When he is finally slain, it is said that he is not truly dead - that his body was carried away by the fairies to heal and sleep beneath a certain hill, until such time that he is needed the most.

McNulty cannae wait and digs him up.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, that's better than most of the stories in that 2000ad Alternity Special right there. 
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 June, 2021, 01:00:34 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 30 June, 2021, 12:30:24 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 30 June, 2021, 11:53:57 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-57660603

You get that boat seaworthy first, then we'll get back to you.

I'll get right on that.  When the sea levels rise and all your homes are flooded, you'll all look up and shout 'save us!'... and I'll look down, and whisper 'no'.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Apparently there was some football match...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

and its not coming home...
DDT did a job on me

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

The Legendary Shark

Powerful image, isnit? Kicking the ball - who, me? - with an open goal - heaving, sweaty pressure - too much! Ooh, isnit? What happened to the halcyon days? Whither the enjoyment, hmm? Is it all gone, hmm? Small boys in the park, jumpers for goalposts...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Link Prime

I was cheering on the Italians, naturally, but did feel a bit sorry for Southgate post-match, who seems like a decent oul sod.

Funt Solo

I'm always amazed at how seriously people take it. I was watching the Andrew Marr Show and they were shaking their heads in shame and dismay and banging on about the shoddy behavior of the provinces in not joining in with support for the beloved motherland. The best quote was "the England team really is showing the best of British". They don't even recognize any problem with that kind of statement. If it was the best of British, it would be a British team, not an English one. This is why Anyone But England is a thing, even among people who don't care at all what happens in fitba.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

If I ever want a quality laugh, I tune into Prime Minister's Questions.  Nothing beats Johnson sat there, slack jawed, as his latest cluster-f*** is torn into. 

Then he gets up, climbs on his high horse, and lets rip with a slew of utter nonsense that may well have sounded clever to someone in the 6th form debating team rejects that appear to be advising him.

Then I remember that he is supposedly 'leading' the country and just think "F***!" :o

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 July, 2021, 03:00:51 PM
I'm always amazed at how seriously people take it. I was watching the Andrew Marr Show and they were shaking their heads in shame and dismay and banging on about the shoddy behavior of the provinces in not joining in with support for the beloved motherland. The best quote was "the England team really is showing the best of British". They don't even recognize any problem with that kind of statement. If it was the best of British, it would be a British team, not an English one. This is why Anyone But England is a thing, even among people who don't care at all what happens in fitba.

Andrew Marr and his ilk tend to get a bit sneery and condescending when soccerists get politically engaged, but he's more than happy to jump on their bandwagon. He clearly doesn't understand either the sport, the supporters or the culture surrounding it. That, or he's some sort of deranged little England nationalist. I suspect it's a combination of the two.

Credit to the the England squad, they seem like a great bunch of lads. A welcome replacement to previous decade's preening, primadonna, tabloid trash, "celebrity" England team. There's still no way I would ever support them. Have you seen how England fans get on? Who would want to join in with that rabble? I know English people who don't want to be associated with them.