Main Menu

Iron Man 3 review, any spoilers blacked out please

Started by Radbacker, 27 April, 2013, 03:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radbacker

Mulled it over for a day and definitely better that the second one still unsure against the first (one of my fav Marvel movies ever).  has the best end game of any of the others [spoiler]really like the use of the multiple Iron Man suits and loved the way Tony discarded damaged ones in favour of undamaged ones, Pearce would cut a leg of and Tony would just drop out the back into another suit[/spoiler], very cool visual.  Though extremis was a bit under used and never really had a defined set of powers [spoiler]WTF with Pearce spitting fire and then not using it in the final battle?[/spoiler]
The FX as in all blockbusters these days is nothing short of spectacular, wonderful use of CG mixed with practical as it should be. Roll on the rest of Phase 2.  Im really interested to see what they do with Guardians of the Galaxy is it stil going to be animated?

CU Radbacker

Montynero

Yeah, good film though not a great one. There was some really clever action scene ideas in this, [spoiler]with multiple iron men transporting different people in the suits, plucking them from the air, flying across states to hook up with Tony Stark like some modern day cavalry. His robot hand coming off to pull him from underwater was pretty cool.  But while that's inventive and fun it also undercuts the character somewhat. There's not the same sense of peril you get from knowing there's only one guy in one suit.

Clever and fun stuff with Ben Kingsley too, didn't see that coming. But while it was chucklesome it did weaken the sense of threat from the villain. I really like Guy Pearce, and he was great in this as ever, but he wasn't genuinely scary like The Mandarin was in the first half of this pic. [/spoiler]

Surprised it wasn't funnier too. Shane Black ususally has no shortage of killer lines, but the first two films both made me laugh a lot more.

Well worth seeing though!

nicklambo

Much more fun than I was expecting.....well worth a viewing....!

COMMANDO FORCES

All I want to know is this. Is there a sequence when we see a line of parked cars destroyed with colourful explosions and all flip in the air?

Mark Taylor

One of the stupidest drokking movies I've seen in some time. The way Tony Stark [spoiler]couldn't keep his suit on for more than 20 seconds without completely trashing it,[/spoiler] just got old, stupid and lame incredibly fast. A couple of hours of my life I'm never getting back.

In fact I just don't get the whole Iron Man movie series at all. The first one was painfully boring, the second one was an average popcorn flick let down by an an anticlimactic ending at best, and the third was just drokking stupid. I hope they don't bother making another one so my wife doesn't drag me to see it again, or worse I feel compelled to refuse to go see it so she has to go on her own, 'cuz that will just annoy her. :|

Montynero

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 April, 2013, 08:48:47 PM
All I want to know is this. Is there a sequence when we see a line of parked cars destroyed with colourful explosions and all flip in the air?

No, but it runs with a massive 'thanks, you've shown me the whole story - now I don't need to see the film' trailer for FASTLY FURIOUS (or something) in which more cars in the history or human imagination are flipped, blown up, shot, danced upon, and generally 'revved' by increasingly retarded squinting bald men angered by the near constant explosions of tankers, tankers, and what appears to be a Boeing Dreamliner. 

TOO FURIOUS, TOO FAST - it sounds like an old girlfriend critiquing my sexual technique.

Also, some great trailers for Superman, Thor, and Star Trek with Iron Man Three.

radiator

Just back from the cinema.

That was... a bit of a let down to be honest. As with most modern blockbusters, the plot is insanely convoluted and hard to follow. All the shenanigans with the suits was just too much of a stretch for me, they really should have kept it simple. Maybe I'm just jaded but I wasn't blown away by the effects - everything was just so over the top and went too silly too often.

I'd put it on the same level as IM2, not as good as the first one and not even in the same universe as The Avengers, quality wise. A 3/5.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 27 April, 2013, 08:48:47 PM

That gets more hilarious every time you say it...

QuoteIn fact I just don't get the whole Iron Man movie series at all. The first one was painfully boring, the second one was an average popcorn flick let down by an an anticlimactic ending at best

So, why even bother going to see the third one then?

I thought it was great a lot of fun. Kingsley was incredible. The ending was ridiculously OTT and hard to follow at times. I loved the fact that he was out of the suit for most of the movie, too.

ANd did anyone stay for the post credits scene? It was a corker!

COMMANDO FORCES

Don't worry, I will say it again for the next generic pile of American pap to be shown at the pictures ;)

Montynero

I really enjoyed the film, Rich, but felt a bit let down by the post credits watchamathingy. [spoiler]It was funny but didn't ported a forthcoming apocalypse or some major character action to come, unlike the previous snippets. Thought it was interesting that 'TONY STARK WILL RETURN' was the final tag line. That implies that Iron Man won't feature much, if at all, in the next Avengers film - but Tony will in some scientific capacity. I think that's the last time we get to see Downey on this franchise too.[/spoiler]

radiator

I didn't really understand the baddies motivations or actions at all, neither did the other people I saw the film with. A major, major storytelling flaw for me.

Also: futuristic computers controlled by people waving their hands to manipulate ever more complex and ott holographic screens is so passé and silly now - cant believe they are still doing this in movies. Has it been parodied in a movie yet?

There's a certain aspect of the plot that is going to turn A LOT of fans against this film, but I thought it was bold, inspired and hilarious. Amazed that Marvel allowed the writers to do it. Hats off to them for that.

A few funny moments other than that,  but in all honesty a lot of the jokes fell flat with my audience. By contrast, I saw The Avengers in the exact same cinema, and people were going nuts over it - I don't think I've heard laughter like that in a cinema ever.

radiator

Oh, forgot to mention.

Best [spoiler]opening music[/spoiler] to a film, ever.

Mark Taylor

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 28 April, 2013, 06:51:41 PMSo, why even bother going to see the third one then?

The wife doesn't like going to the movies by herself.

matty_ae

loved every moment of it.

Its popcorn but damn fine, funny, smart, genuinely surprising popcorn done by an indepedent studio owning their own property.

Wish we/Rebellion werein this position.

Stan

I'm gonna see this later. Should the 3D be taken into account when deciding on where to see it?