Main Menu

MARNEY THE FOX

Started by Bad City Blue, 20 September, 2017, 04:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

this little gem is out October 5th. I never read it before so it was an interesting one!

Here's the review:

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/marney-fox-graphic-novel-review.html
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Buttonman

I pre-ordered this on the basis that I like foxes - glad your review confirms this was a good plan!

Hawkmumbler

Oh hey Travelling Man will have my copy in soon! Easily one of my most anticipated releases this year.

CalHab

Pre-ordered after listening to the podcast interview with the wonderful John Stokes.

Buttonman

Pre-ordered on Amazon but nothing has appeared - note today saying they are trying to get stock. Price now at full cover price of £17.99. I know I should buy from the publisher but I had a gift card. Are Rebellion keeping the print run to themselves?

sheridan

Anyone going to the John Stokes talk tomorrow at (I think) Gosh! Comics?

(might be Orbital, but I think it's Gosh)

Krakajac

Out of loyalty, I'd like to buy this direct from the shop as well.  However...

If I buy from the tooth on-line shop, Marney will cost me 24.08 pounds (that includes shipping to Australia).

If I buy the same edition from The Book Depository, it costs me 14.19 pounds - and that includes 'free' delivery to Australia.

In terms of Aussie dollars...$40.49 vs $23.86.

I know where my money is going.

Buttonman

I cancelled my Amazon order and then bought from a marketplace seller for £10.49 with free P&P - no idea how the book trade operates these days but why, with their buying power, is Amazon selling at cover price - £7.50 more than their rivals? I know they take something like 50% of the price but clearly they aren't interested in the sale.

Tjm86

Amazon appears to be following standard aggressor tactics; ruthlessly undercut the competition until they fold then slowly increase the price to maximise profitability.  I've noticed over the last year or so that Amazon has become increasingly less competitive.  Little things like Prime 'next day delivery' is now 'one day delivery'.  They 'guarantee' to deliver within 24 hours of dispatch rather than following the order.  The only thing they have going for them now is the scale of selection.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 October, 2017, 08:33:47 AM
Amazon appears to be following standard aggressor tactics; ruthlessly undercut the competition until they fold then slowly increase the price to maximise profitability.

Amazon's business model in one handy graph:

At some point, they'll flip the switch, and they sacrifice revenue growth for profit growth. Of course, if they've crushed all the competition by that point, all you can really do is bend over and take the price hikes...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

I went to Gosh! - great talk from John (chatting to - I think - somebody from the Cartoon Museum), who regaled us with tales of living on a boat in the Norfolk Broads (well, somewhere in Norfolk, and it sounded like the Broads from the description) while drawing Marney.  He also went in to British comics of the time, and went on to his time at Marvel UK with Dez Skinn and Paul Neary. 

Questions from the audience after about an hour or so of chatting between the host and John, including some asked of Ben Smith, who told us about some of the plans Rebellion has for the Treasury of British Comics, Faceache, Roy of the Rovers, Misty, Scream and more.  After that we all got our books signed (and Marney the Fox is an absolutely beautiful collection, painstakenly restored by the reprographics droid Jo Morgan.  All from the original print run in Buster (no original artwork, no film, just newsprint). 

Amazingly, John gave away original artwork from an adaptation he illustrated of Great Expectations about eight years ago.  He must have handed out about twenty pages of the original artwork to those assembled, as well as signing copies of the new book, plus some collected editions people had brought with them (I spotted Captain Britain and The Invisibles).

So yes, I'm at home now with the Marney hardback which is larger than I was expecting, and an unexpected page of original artwork!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 06 October, 2017, 10:26:46 PM

Amazingly, John gave away original artwork from an adaptation he illustrated of Great Expectations about eight years ago.

Cheez. He could have saved one for me -- that was my very first pro lettering gig!*

*Although, since I had no fucking idea what I was doing, maybe he wasn't that happy with my efforts...
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 October, 2017, 10:33:01 PM

Amazingly, John gave away original artwork from an adaptation he illustrated of Great Expectations about eight years ago.

Cheez. He could have saved one for me -- that was my very first pro lettering gig!*

*Although, since I had no fucking idea what I was doing, maybe he wasn't that happy with my efforts...

I did notice your name on the credits (unfortunately no copies of the graphic novel to buy, just John's own copy to show how it was published).  He still had some left when chucking out time came...

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 06 October, 2017, 11:42:41 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 06 October, 2017, 10:33:01 PM

I did notice your name on the credits (unfortunately no copies of the graphic novel to buy, just John's own copy to show how it was published).  He still had some left when chucking out time came...

I keep noticing your name on collections I see at the comic forum at the local library - Munchkin and Giant Days come to mind.

Buttonman

Mine came today - what a beautiful book. Well done to all involved - this is something to treasure.

Only read the first few chapters - blow me that's a tough life right there - gonna run out of woodland creatures soon too!