Main Menu

The Boys TV series - Karl Urban cast as Butcher

Started by Steve Green, 06 April, 2018, 09:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad City Blue

Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

Dandontdare

Enjoyed the programme generally, but wasn't keen on the "ending" , or rather the lack of ending - just clumsily hanging plot threads to set up a second season.

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't mind the ending.  A radical departure from the comic here but it's left me wanting more, so job done, I suppose.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Trooper McFad

Watched the first 2 and enjoying it so far- haven't read the books but once finished I might just go and purchase- did the same with TWD and enjoyed the books more.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Proudhuff

Totally enjoying the series, about half way through, the flying flipper was a hoot!
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Can't remember now if The Deep was in the comic.  He does seem very much like an Ennis character: A bit of a perv and a schadenfreude-heavy hard luck case.
The gills bit made me wince.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

In the comic he wore a full deep-sea diving suit with helmet and never spoke or showed his face- basically, all they kept was the name.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 August, 2019, 01:14:40 AM
In the comic he wore a full deep-sea diving suit with helmet and never spoke or showed his face- basically, all they kept was the name.

a bit like Black Noir?
DDT did a job on me

Mardroid

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 August, 2019, 06:36:07 PM
The gills bit made me wince.

Me too. I guess he got his comeuppance, but... yikes!

He got some comedy moments later, which made me chuckle.*

* Not that I find the [spoiler]death of animals[/spoiler] funny, you understand, but the framing was very amusing.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 12 August, 2019, 01:14:40 AM

Ah yeah, I remember now.  Probably a good idea to change him for the show; as Proudhuff points out there's already a faceless silent type in the Seven.

Professor Bear

Binged it all in one go, and I don't know why everyone is so down on Urban's Australian accent, I think he really nails it, and it's certainly a lot better than Hughie's Scotch accent.
The show felt surprisingly current for something based on a comic that aged poorly, with the corporate stuff being bang on and the cast are really good.  I felt it diverged wildly from the comic, retaining its shocks and characters, but the show does feel like it's missing the immediacy and anger of the book.  Still really enjoyable if you can watch it as its own thing, though.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 10 July, 2019, 06:54:37 PMI find much of his humour puerile and his recurring anal rape motifs often veered alarmingly close to homophobia for me.

The various "man in a dress" jokes in Preacher, Punisher, Hitman, etc have arguably not aged well.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Professor Bear on 13 August, 2019, 11:22:42 PM
Binged it all in one go, and I don't know why everyone is so down on Urban's Australian accent, I think he really nails it, and it's certainly a lot better than Hughie's Scotch accent.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

How come YOU don't get in trouble for saying it, and I get crucified?  ;)

Just wondering though, with that massively revised storyline, how [spoiler]is Butcher going to continue as Butcher with his whole raison d'etre wiped out after one season? And Hughie for that matter, now that he has kind of forgiven A-Train[/spoiler]?

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 August, 2019, 10:06:39 AM
Scotch

How come YOU don't get in trouble for saying it, and I get crucified?  ;)

You got a Scotch emigre. Something weird happens to us when we leave. We sing about missing the hills and lochs of Brigadoon and use all the money we save in tax to fund political campaigns.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++