Main Menu

Vagrant Queen

Started by Professor Bear, 29 April, 2020, 02:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

SYFY have made another tv show about people in a spaceship and this one, just for a change of pace, isn't ponderous navel-gazing shit full of unlikable jerks in grey corridors, it's about a space queen on the run from an evil empire while shooting multicoloured lasers at feathered space monkeys on stilts.
Trailer HERE ("the comments have been turned off"), the makers are clearly aiming to get as close to Guardians of the Galaxy as they can with the budget they have (and by the looks of it, we aren't talking The Expanse money here) right down to a vaporwave aesthetic and cheesy 1980s pop songs - the cast singing Jefferson Starship's Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now becomes a plot point in the third episode and it's not even remotely the silliest thing that happens.
A lot of similarities to SYFY's own KILLJOYS, and reminds me a lot of Andromeda, only without a lead actor who's had a stroke and not told anyone so nobody is aware that they've secretly gone batshit insane and will start churning out Christian propaganda movies any day now.  There are other differences between Vagrant Queen and Andromeda, but I feel this is the one for which we should be most thankful.

broodblik

I watched the first episode and nothing about the show I liked. The characters for me was plain boring and the acting was sub-par. Felt like a cheap production. Sorry I just do not think this is worthwhile.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Trailer was fun - dynamic and sassy. Some more established sci-fi might garner more budget bucks but they get hamstrung by an overabundance of veneration.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

Quote from: broodblik on 29 April, 2020, 04:38:53 AMFelt like a cheap production.

This is a big part of why I liked it.  SYFY and others have done plenty of expensive-looking Battlestar Galactica reboots already, it's long past time someone made Buck Rogers.