Main Menu

Endlessly Re-watchable

Started by Funt Solo, 08 January, 2021, 03:37:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krakajac

Plenty of great movies already mentioned - and I'll throw in the following...

The Usual Suspects
12 Monkeys
Se7en
The Departed
Memento
Cross Of Iron
Fight Club
The Day Of The Jackal
Picnic At Hanging Rock
Robin And Marian
The Name Of The Rose
Das Boot

Jim_Campbell

This is a strange one for me — I tend to find that I need to be in a certain mood to watch capital-G Great movies, even the unabashedly popcorn ones, like Star Wars of Raiders.

Films I can watch literally any time, regardless of mood, are an odd breed. The first three that come to mind are:

Pacific Rim
Tron: Legacy
Sky Captain & The World of Tomorrow

Now that I think about, I suspect that with all three of those, my enjoyment of the films almost entirely visual — I don't need to invest in any way... I can literally stick my brain in neutral and let the imagery play in front of me.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Bolt-01

Tron legacy both looks and sounds great. The story -- not so much.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 January, 2021, 03:51:58 PM
my enjoyment of the films almost entirely visual — I don't need to invest in any way... I can literally stick my brain in neutral and let the imagery play in front of me.

Blade Runner is a movie I can watch quite happily with the sound off or with the visuals off.

Back in my rave days, it was often a visual after-club backdrop to some other tunes, or sometimes it just was the tunes. Another one that can manage that trick is The Big Blue.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Recrewt

The most re-watchable movies are definitely those ones that require minimal thought and attention.  You can just switch off and relax with an old friend.

For that reason, any with Jean-Claude Van Damme in are easily my most re-watched movies.  I don't own any of them but they are on all the time and if they put it on, I will watch it.  If I had to choose then obviously it would be a classic like Bloodsport, Universal Soldier and Hard Target but if some TV channel is audacious enough to broadcast Double Team in 2021 then I accept that challenge!

Colin YNWA

As mentioned elswhere rewatched Withnail and I last night. Though I can almost quote it line for line i and know it inside out - even without having seen it for a few years - it remains a work of genius that is never dull, is hilarious but still breaks my heart.

The almost perfect films... if it only had spaceships and laser guns in it... rather than lighter fuel and piss tubes.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Recrewt on 18 January, 2021, 11:30:59 PM
For that reason, any with Jean-Claude Van Damme in are easily my most re-watched movies.  I don't own any of them but they are on all the time and if they put it on, I will watch it.  If I had to choose then obviously it would be a classic like Bloodsport, Universal Soldier and Hard Target but if some TV channel is audacious enough to broadcast Double Team in 2021 then I accept that challenge!

I am also very much into a bit of JCVD for a unchallenging evenings entertainment although Double Team is a bold shout!

Last year I discovered that my wife had only ever seen Bloodsport, so we embarked on a classic JCVD educational watch-fest fueled entirely by ebay. Bloodsport, which younger me was a bit dismissive of, is absolutely among the best. Universal Soldier is also great but we both really loved AWOL, Double Impact and Kickboxer and I'd watch any of these again at the drop of a hat.

Hard Target, which younger me thought was cool, was mainly terrible. Sudden Death was bad, and a bit nasty into the bargain. Cyborg is incredidbly boring.

I'm not sure what makes his good films so incredibly easy and fun to watch. Even his worst films are still better than anything with Steven Seagal in it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Hawkmumbler

"You got soup? Why didn't I get any soup?"

I rewatched THE LIGHTHOUSE for the fourth time and the first time on the small screen. It might well be my latest edition to the endlessly rewatchable list. Completely quotable and deliciously perverse.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 20 January, 2021, 11:41:06 AM
I rewatched THE LIGHTHOUSE for the fourth time and the first time on the small screen. It might well be my latest edition to the endlessly rewatchable list. Completely quotable and deliciously perverse.

Never heard of that - that looks very interesting and my God the trailer makes it look like it was made for Willem Defoe! Must track that down...

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 20 January, 2021, 11:39:31 AM
Quote from: Recrewt on 18 January, 2021, 11:30:59 PM

I am also very much into a bit of JCVD for a unchallenging evenings entertainment although Double Team is a bold shout!

Last year I discovered that my wife had only ever seen Bloodsport, so we embarked on a classic JCVD educational watch-fest fueled entirely by ebay. Bloodsport, which younger me was a bit dismissive of, is absolutely among the best. Universal Soldier is also great but we both really loved AWOL, Double Impact and Kickboxer and I'd watch any of these again at the drop of a hat.

Hard Target, which younger me thought was cool, was mainly terrible. Sudden Death was bad, and a bit nasty into the bargain. Cyborg is incredidbly boring.

I'm not sure what makes his good films so incredibly easy and fun to watch. Even his worst films are still better than anything with Steven Seagal in it.

A friend and I watched Kickboxer a year or two ago.  We regretted it.  It could have got away with being just a dumb and crappy action film if it hadn't had used the rape of a woman to make JCVD's character upset.  It's done in a really, very gross way for really, very gross (and pointless) reasons and ruined the entire experience for us.

At some point this year we'll be watching Bloodsport.  I remember enjoying it as a kid.

Link Prime

Top class film, but endlessly re-watchable?
You're an odd duck, Hawk!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 January, 2021, 01:12:37 PM

Top class film, but endlessly re-watchable?
You're an odd duck, Hawk!

Guilty as charged skip!

Link Prime

Barrington Boots

Quote from: pictsy on 20 January, 2021, 12:27:51 PM
A friend and I watched Kickboxer a year or two ago.  We regretted it.  It could have got away with being just a dumb and crappy action film if it hadn't had used the rape of a woman to make JCVD's character upset.  It's done in a really, very gross way for really, very gross (and pointless) reasons and ruined the entire experience for us.

Fair point and cycles back to what we were saying on the other thread about the Nightmare films.
It's awful to say it, but I had completely forgotten about that as a plot point until I rewatched the film with my wife, I was appalled and embarrassed to see it. As you say it's gross and unnecessary.

Worse, I had forgotten about it again until you wrote that Pictsy.

It's a grim realisation. Thinking it over, I must have seen Kickboxer about 20 times, mostly in my early to mid teens when I am my friends would watch martial arts and horror films all weekend. When I first saw it I certainly wouldn't have conceived of what a horrible thing it was, and at the same time it wouldn't have raised much of an eyebrow, because this kind of thing happened all the time in films (and comics!) where a female character essentially exists to endure something terrible, which enables the male to have a justified flip out moment. I wonder if, for me, it all became a bit normalised in that context.

Nowdays I find I can't watch a lot of stuff that's new to me if it's cruel, or if it's got a lot of this kind of nastiness in it: I don't find it in any way entertaining. But things I watched as a younger man where I was less... empathic is maybe the right word? then certain horrors don't even register. Recently my wife showed me Twin Town (she's Welsh) which I found to be a very unpleasant watch indeed but I wonder if I'd seen it ten years prior it all would have seemed a great laugh.

Anyway - probably not the place for this introspective ramble. I'm pretty sure the worst thing about Bloodsport is the dreadful acting.

Barrington Boots

I couldn't even make it through the Lighthouse once!