Main Menu

The DAVE EVANS TRIBUTE BOOK — LAST(ish) CALL

Started by Jim_Campbell, 29 May, 2021, 08:34:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

I know not everyone reads every thread on here, so I wanted to break this out, just in case.

The Art Comp this month was for Strontium Dog-based art tributes, or text of any kind, to the much-missed Bolt-01 (Dave Evans) and, as I said on there:

QuoteAt the end of the month, I'd like to gather everything together and see if we can't get a printed collection made up that I'm hoping some kind soul will forward to Dave's family. I can't imagine what they're going through, but I thought it might be nice for them to have some permanent record of how well-loved Dave was here.

With hindsight, using the Art Comp thread for submissions might have caused some people to overlook it, and I don't want anyone to miss out, hence this separate post.

The ostensible deadline for submissions is the end of the month, but I still have some contributions to come via email so I won't be thinking about making a start for at least another week.

Many of you have said some wonderful things over on the RIP thread, too, but I don't want to go harvesting quotes from people without their explicit permission. At the same time, as I say, I don't want people to feel they've missed out when they would have liked to contribute.

If you posted on the RIP thread and would like your words including in the book, then just say so here and I'll take that as permission to quote you from the other thread. If you want to post some specific text here, then please feel free.

If you feel like you don't have any words, but would like to express condolences anyway, then I'm open to the idea of a page of general sympathy/condolence with a list of names. If you'd like to be included in that, then, again, you can post here to that effect.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Please add me to any list, and well done Jim for organising this.
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Thanks, Huff.

On that note, it occurs to me that if you'd like to listed on a condolences page, how would you (and anyone else who adds their name here) like to be listed? Just FORUM NAME or REAL NAME (FORUM NAME) or FORUM NAME (REAL NAME) or just REAL NAME...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrJomster

I posted in the RIP thread and am happy to be quoted and/or listed on a condolences page. Thank you so much for organising. I'm fine to go by forum name for me.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Buttonman

Thanks for sorting this Jim - I'm sure it will be a comfort to Dave's family to know how well regarded he was in this community. I was going to include a tribute to Dave in the next Letter review column as he was a 10 plus man, but alas no letters have been printed since his passing. I'll draft something up that I can paste in when Tharg finally gets around to printing some letters again and post it here. His family should know of all his great works!

Buttonman

Here we go. I've added this to the Lettersentertainyou thread so that it is preserved there also. Of course feel free to edit as you see fit Jim. Culling it to a dozen words would seem reasonable! Cheers.

It was a sad day at Beast Towers when we learned of the passing of Dave 'Bolt-01' Evans or 'EEE' as he was known on the database.

Dave was in with the DNA of The Letters Beast Database and was part of the initial conception and of the first draft of the project, which eventually catalogued every piece of reader content in our favourite comics. He volunteered to take a batch of 100 Progs and add the details of all letter writers and drawing providers to a spreadsheet that could be plugged into the monster that became the database of all 2000ad reader content published in 2000ad and the Judge Dredd Megazine.

He didn't have to get involved; he was busy with a multitude of other projects, but something about the idea tickled him and appealed to his nerdy fan instincts. His contributions were however greater than some admin work, Dave was a celebrated letter writer in his own right, attaining the lofty rank of 29th=  on the all-time list, with his score of 12 letters printed.

His dozen letters appeared in the years between 2002 and 2008, with 9 gracing the Prog and 3 in the Megazine. He was first sighted in Prog 1316 and followed this up with the Letter of the Week in 2003's Prog 1365. He first appearance in the Megazine was in Meg 251 in 2006 and he had follow up appearances in Megs 259 and 274.

2004 saw two letters in Progs 1383 and 1391 from the Birmingham wordsmith before a single appearance was made in 2006, in Prog 1501. Better was to follow in the next two years when Dave saw 4 letters see print in 2007/08 in Progs 1527, 1547, 1574 and 1592.

12 letters in 7 years is a good hit rate and, had he persevered, he could have been a top ten letter writer. Dave however moved on to other things - creating comics, encouraging writers and artists and rearing his loving family. We're sure it was a tough choice, but probably the correct one!

We have raised a glass to Dave many times and will continue to do so. As long as letters are printed Dave will be remembered as a creator of and as contributor to the 2000ad and Megazine Letters Database or 'The Beast' as it is commonly known. Round these parts anyway.

Rest easy Dave, your writing is done and you will not be forgotten.

Woolly

This should link to the full size image that I did, hope that helps Jim.
Thanks for doing this.

Heath C Ackley

Feel free to use my tribute Jim. Kudos to you mate for doing this for Dave.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Daveycandlish

Others have said everything possible in a way much better than I could phrase. Please add my name to the page of condolence.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Eamonn Clarke

I would be grateful to be included on the condolences page as well please. Thanks for organising this.

MacabreMagpie

You can use anything I said in the original announcement thread.

NapalmKev

I'm happy for you to quote my words of condolence, Jim.

My real name (if required) is on my Twitter.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Richard

Good idea Jim. Please add me to the list of condolences.
Thanks for organising.

Dog Deever

Thanks Jim. I'm happy to be quoted with anything I said in either thread, would would glad to be added to a condolences list and I've got no specific preference for username/ real name/ both- whatever seems appropriate is fine with me.

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

maryanddavid

I just would like to pass on my condolences to his family and friends, Dave was always so helpful and so enthusiastic about comics. A huge loss.

David