Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - From Grace vs Night Zero (plus) Rd 1 Heat 54

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 December, 2021, 06:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Another tough one. Night Zero is a bit silly, a bit simple, but good fun. To describe it you'd almost get what a lot of people who haven't read 2000AD think 2000AD is like. From Grace isn't exactly fun, but it's unique, looks fantastic and uses every page of its short run perfectly. I might enjoy actually reading Night Zero more though.

Hmmmm.From Grace

JayzusB.Christ

Night Zero was ok but not particularly original or inspiring.  From Grace was really good - lovely, sinister atmosphere, and a good guy becoming a bad guy way before people were applauding the Breaking Bad writers for this innovation.  Think I prefer El Spurioso's less wacky stuff, and back then we could chat to him about his scripts on this very board.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

Don't live with the regret of not having voted here. You have today to avoid that misery before I announce the final result in the mornin'

Magnetica

Night Zero.

Good old fashioned comics.

Who cares if it had a few flaws?

I, Cosh

Night Zero was perfectly fine.

From Grace was the pure alchemy of two exciting young talents producing a single nugget of pure gold. Spurrier was in the middle of a hugely productive patch and had, for once, reined in the self-consciously clever wordplay in favour of playing around with structure. Irving's astonishing digital watercolours serve this story perfectly. The alternating colour palettes guiding the reader through the story's timelines.

From Grace.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Big lose from 2000ad's middle tier here, maybe not too surprising as its hit against a bit of a mini-gem and either of these would have stormed past any number of thrills that have blundered into the 2nd round almost by default. Still the draw is a cruel and interesting beast and we are were we are. As AlexF notes the voting pattern was really interesting with both thrills getting periods of dominance. Its just that

From Grace

Had longer and stronger periods of control and condemns Night Zero (and co) to the sad honour of being one of the best thrills to fall at the first hurdle.

AlexF

Voted for Night Zero, not at all sad that From Grace wins. It's the better piece of art, for sure.