Main Menu

Sideshow Vote: Lights out, time to close the book

Started by broodblik, 04 April, 2022, 04:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Which series do you believe the time has arrived to close it? It has run its course it is time to close the final chapter:
-   Sin/Dex
-   The Order
-   The Fall of Deadworld
-   Judge Anderson
-   well maybe I missed something so please tell us

PS – Save yourself some keyboard clicks since Skip Tracer will have its last series coming soon to a prog near you.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Can I vote for all of them except SiniDex? No? Okay- The Order gets it.

SBT

Barrington Boots

Sin/Dex for me. I've just lost all interest.
The Order is definitely losing me - I think it's got time to turn it around, but I'd also like to see it conclude on a high, even if it returns later in a different form.
Deadworld could do with a bit of tightening of focus imo, but I hope it has a long time left.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

IndigoPrime

Anderson doesn't need to end—it just needs either to have punchy stories or a clear narrative arc. (I'd go for the former for now.)

Deadworld... hrmmm. The early series were one of the best things the Prog had done in this era, IMO. But in bringing in direct links with Apocalypse War, it lost something for me. It strayed too far from the weird and magical and into the realm of a straight alt-worlds tale. The one-offs have been genuinely horrific, so I've enjoyed (possibly the wrong word!) those more than the main narrative. Hard to know what's best here, but probably bringing some focus to the main arc, or just ending it, but leaving Deadworld open to more shorter tales to let the team play within the sandbox.

Sin/Dex: I've never really cared about this. The central premise never really worked for me, and it long ago got bogged down in its own tangled continuity. I suspect it will never end, but it feels like it probably should. (My guess is this arc will find Sinister escape the AI so the pair can get back together and start killing people again.)

The Order: Another odd one, in that there's probably space here for shorter, sharper, cleaner series. Instead, it's a possible Red Seas. Although I haven't yet done a re-read to see if it hangs together nicely when collected. At this point, I kind of gloss over it, and I still don't like what it did with Armoured Gideon.

If I could press a button tomorrow and commission and ending to one of these, I'd go for The Order very, very slightly ahead of Sin/Dex.

Magnetica

I'd say ABC Warriors.

But we are unlikely to see anymore anyway.

Of that list I'm going to vote for Fall of Deadworld .

I just think it's going on too long. And I'm not sure how invested the writer is now given it now seems to be focusing on these side stories, rather than progressing the main plot.

Close behind is The Order. As I have commented many times, this is a strip I have great difficulty following, but having said that the last series did make some sense.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 04 April, 2022, 12:05:21 PM
I'd say ABC Warriors.

The list is just a guide of what I think is possible candidates but if you want to vote for ABC Warriors that is fine since I have treated the whole sideshow as more of an open book rather than a fix list
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Southstreeter

Deadworld. Just get to the point and kill everyone.

I'm willing The Order to succeed. I loved the first few series, but am getting frustrated at the lack of plot movement. It's frustrating when an entire series basically consists of one or two punch ups between various antagonists (I'm also looking at you, Slaine) with virtually no change in the status quo at the end.

Magnetica

Quote from: broodblik on 04 April, 2022, 12:11:04 PM
Quote from: Magnetica on 04 April, 2022, 12:05:21 PM
I'd say ABC Warriors.

The list is just a guide of what I think is possible candidates but if you want to vote for ABC Warriors that is fine since I have treated the whole sideshow as more of an open book rather than a fix list

I guess the difference is "which series deserves to be wrapped up" versus "which series have you had enough of and so don't want it to appear anymore".

I'm kinda reading this vote as the later, and so my vote is for Fall Of Deadworld.

Colin YNWA

None of these are strips I'd particularly like to see end of those listed I'd go Fall of Dead World, simply on the basis we know were its headed and so protractings too long could get messy and lose the value of the strip.

Another one - and bear with me on this is Brass Sun. I bloody love Brass Sun but I'd rather see it get a satisfying ending rather than hang around in limbo while other strips take priority.

That said though and for the same reasons as Brass Sun, but just feeling its in a place where its more ready to be wrapped up I vote

Savage

Huey2

Anderson Psi Division

Whilst I have enjoyed new writers' work on the strip, I would prefer it if they'd had the freedom to do their own thing.
Would love to see Grant or Wagner give the character an ending either within her own strip or within Dredd's.

Magnetica

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 April, 2022, 01:37:00 PM

That said though and for the same reasons as Brass Sun

I can just hear the cry go up: "Can't Culbard just draw both? It's not as if he's doing Bolland or Fabry level detail."

(That's a joke by the way - he seem to be fundamental to the creative process based on the Brink panel and obviously puts in a lot of effort.)

broodblik

You have the weekend to decide voting station closes on Monday

The Enigmatic Dr X

The Order. The only strip, in all of 2000ad's history, that I just cannot follow. It's incoherent to me.

I thoroughly enjoy SinDex.
Lock up your spoons!