Main Menu

Forum’s Fav Thrill - Brass Sun vs. Flesh Rd 3 Heat 37

Started by Colin YNWA, 08 June, 2022, 06:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

There might not be quite the level of thrills we had last week in Week 5, but it exemplifies just how tough this tournament is becoming. A middling week quality wise and we still get some right interesting ties and some really top draw thrills. It's only going to get harder folks!

Real heartbreaker for me this one, the first of a couple this week. I adore both these thrills and it will be heartbreaking to see one go. But go one must. Will it be the Cretaceous Classic from the dawn of the Prog, which has fed on Deadlock already. Or the missing masterpiece, curtailed by creative conflicts (of time that is) that conquered Cadet Anderson. Only you can decide and know dear reader either way you leave me broken.

Brass Sun - more info

Vs

Flesh - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 11th June and the winner gets a place in Round 4 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN

Huey2

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

abelardsnazz

Magnetica

Not sure what you mean by the Cadet Anderson reference.

Anyway this is a close one: Brass Sun.

Aaron A Aardvark

broodblik

Brass Sun all the way. Flesh was always readable but nothing special, one of Mills weaker creations
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

brass sun is blissful comics. but too much to be continued.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ooh, difficult. On the one hand a magical series from a particularly golden period that we desperately need to be continued (but which I totally ignored while it was running) and on the other *the* seminal strip that was probably the single biggest reason prog one made such an impact on my six year old mind and which has never been less than interesting, even when it has been significantly reduced in later years.

Yeah, I have to give it to Flesh.

SBT

Link Prime

Been a while since the last series of Brass Sun, and I've found that my fondness for it has cooled in the interim.
On the other hand the original Flesh remains seared into my skull after all these years.

rogue69

BPP

Flesh.

Always thought it a shame it didn't work out with James Mckay as I always loved his line work.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Barrington Boots

Also going for Flesh. Brass Sun started off being pretty amazing but I found my enthusiasm for it waned a bit and then it just sort of tailed off. Flesh, despite a lot of ups and downs, is always a pretty enjoyable read and the cowboys vs dinosaurs thing doesn't get old.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: BPP on 08 June, 2022, 09:40:37 AM
Always thought it a shame it didn't work out with James Mckay as I always loved his line work.

I second this - his first series especially was great.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

IndigoPrime

Flesh is a great concept but the execution has been variable. The original run is fine, in that old-school 2000 AD way. I'm not fussed about re-reading it often, in the same way I don't really care about Harlem Heroes, year-one Dredd or Sam Slade, but it is at least reasonably fun. I couldn't stand the more recent runs, though, which looked fine but were mired in Mills's usual preachy bollocks. The overriding whiff of sexism wasn't good either.

The biggest problem with Brass Sun is that it just stopped. That said, even if it's abandoned at this point, I still like it more than Flesh. I'd like it even more if we got some new episodes, mind...