Main Menu

Sandman TV Series

Started by oshii, 07 August, 2022, 12:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: sheridan on 10 August, 2022, 09:19:15 AM
If the choice is between so-called pretentious Sandman or willfully inane Big Dave (other "comics are disposable rubbish" stories from the 1990s also available) then I know which I'd pick.

I have nothing against the 'grown up'/'pretentious'* comics of the 90s. I struck up a conversation about our mutual love of Milligan/Fegredo's Enigma with a young lady who was, frankly, waaaay out of my league at a con. Ran into her in a pub later in the day and the subsequent chat and drinks turned out much better than I expected. ;-)

*YMMV
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

sheridan

I had a vague memory of Enigma having been covered by the Mega-City Book Club, but I can't find it in the archives - guess it must have been mentioned in an episode about another collection?  Eamonn - I'm not volunteering!

Tjm86

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 08 August, 2022, 01:43:19 PM
I enjoyed the first dozen or so issues but, as the series wore on, Gaiman just seemed to get ever more pleased with his own cleverness whilst progressively less and less actually seemed to happen.

TBH I get what you mean.  I found the opening arcs interesting and enjoyable but after that it really was only the odd issue that seemed worth the effort until I drifted from it completely. 

As for the adaptation, so far i've only managed most of the first episode as we are in our 'grand tour of the UK' stage of the school holidays chasing kids around for their different activities (this year is 'introductory Leicester' ...).  It's interesting in that it manages to find a decent balance between being faithful to the source material without coming across as 'masturbatory' as happened with Watchmen.  Can it sustain this?  Well, we'll see I suppose.

On the casting front I'd have to agree with many of the comments.  Morpheus himself seems to benefit from a well chosen, if possibly obscure (or I just don't watch much telly any more) actor.  Hopefully next week I can find the time to sit down and catch up with the other episodes.

Robin Low

I rather enjoyed The Sandman back in the day, although the art was all over the shop. I've not been so impressed by Gaiman's novels, though. And I find his fans a little too adoring, much like Pratchett fans, although Pratchett is the better writer.

The first three episodes I've seen of the TV adaptation have been great fun. It certainly seems to be going down well with folks I know who are unfamiliar with the source material. Some great casting choices, wisely made changes, and imagery straight out of the comic.

Regards,

Robin

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i had very unreasonable and high expectations.
and i still loved it.

Jim_Campbell

Up to Ep4 now. Still enjoying this a lot.

Radbacker

Never read the comics but watching the show and enjoying it a lot.  Episode 6 is great TV I think, both tragic and uplifting, the way the episode is split in 2 I'm guessing this is based on two issues.  I can see why the comic would be big with the goth  crowd as Dream is pretty much a Goth Dream Boy 😊
Very much needed to be a TV series for can't see how this would ever have worked as a movie.  The production values of this are through the roof it looks gorgeous and the soundtrack is divine, I've heard it  ost in about $15 million per episode.  Will be watching the rest over the next couple of evenings.

CU Radbacker

karlos

Loved pretty much every minute of it, and the bonus episode - what a unexpected treat.

Here's to a season 2!

wedgeski

Those bonus episodes, out of nowehere, and two of the best in the run. Bravo Netflix.

Jim_Campbell

Finished the 'main' part of the season (only the bonus episode to go). Although it's been many years since I read the original comics, I found I recalled them well enough that there were few surprises here, so faithful was the adaptation. It was more a kind of nodding-along pleasure of good bits recreated well, or appreciation of spot-on casting for me.

M'lovely wife, on the other hand, is entirely unfamiliar with the comics and enjoyed the whole thing. So, I'd put that down as a win for Gaiman's insistence on holding out until the series could be adapted 'properly'. Seems to have been a hit, so fingers crossed there's a Season 2.

The Legendary Shark

Thank you, thank you, and thrice thank you for alerting me to the existence of these two utterly sublime bonus episodes. These were always two of my favourite Sandman tales and justice has been done to them. As Wedgeski so perfectly put it, Bravo Netflix - bravo indeed!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Enjoyed this and happy to see more, the additional episodes were nice too.

Never read the original comics for some of the same reasons stated above, after flicking through TPB of this at the time.
DDT did a job on me

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: sheridan on 10 August, 2022, 12:05:19 PM
I had a vague memory of Enigma having been covered by the Mega-City Book Club, but I can't find it in the archives - guess it must have been mentioned in an episode about another collection?  Eamonn - I'm not volunteering!
No, not done Enigma yet, although it has indeed been mentioned.

gurnard

I loved the comics when they originally came out, blewe away then in my 20s. Up to episode 3 of the show and enjoyed how it is very close to the comics but still fits tv viewing. Man is that not 2 of the Doctors assistants (Constantine and her ex girlfriend)  love it.

Dandontdare

Quote from: gurnard on 06 September, 2022, 08:29:14 PMMan is that not 2 of the Doctors assistants (Constantine and her ex girlfriend)  love it.

If you like that, you'll enjoy the bonus episode at the end