Main Menu

LotR: Rings of Power

Started by sheridan, 02 September, 2022, 10:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Rutgirl Hauer, I would have thought.  Haven't seen this episode yet but the last one was, as many have said here, a stoater.  I like the Harfeet, for all their dodgy Oirish accents, and am looking forward to seeing what this episode has in store for them.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Just watched the episode and loved it.  Best one yet by far.  And yeah, Mr Pops is right - that's definitely more Feminem than Rutgirl Hauer.  I'm kind of getting used to the idea that Harfoots have Irish accents - why not, I suppose; makes as much sense as Orcs having cockney ones.  And while they're not all spot on, they're mostly way, way better than Joe Gilgun's Cassidy voice.

My knowledge of Middle-Earth history doesn't go far beyond the three LOTR books and The Hobbit, so I'm excited to see things like the founding of [spoiler]Mordor[/spoiler] and the possibility that the weird beardy type may turn out to be someone of significance.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Woah! That was excellent! Perhaps a little bit too much ring pr0n at the end, but otherwise nothing to fault it as a season closer. [spoiler]Sauron [/spoiler]revealed - early nerd-theories correct. [spoiler]Gandalf [/spoiler]revealed - or is it?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Radbacker

Yes I enjoyed the last episode though the reveal of Sauron was not too much of a suprise it did try to wrong foot it earlier in the episode.
[spoiler]I don't think you he Istari is Gandalf though probably one of the older Istari I will be a bit disappointed if it is him as I've been lead to believe he's not on Middle Earth in this age [/spoiler]
Overall I be liked the series it looks spectacular and sounds spectacular hope there's not too long a wait for the next season.
CU Radbacker

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2022, 02:28:30 AM
Woah! That was excellent! Perhaps a little bit too much ring pr0n at the end, but otherwise nothing to fault it as a season closer.

Well, I mean, it is in the name of the show :P

Wish they'd quit it with the Isildur being dead bit though.

Rara Avis

Satisfying end and I would look forward to the next season. The Sauron reveal was well handled, in hindsight you could say it was pretty obvious it was that character from the start but they did a good job of casting doubt on them.

I'm now swayed into thinking that The Stranger is actually Saruman, he makes that very Gandalf like comment about following your nose but the actor has a slight wonk on his nose which is very similar to Christopher Lee.

Still hate the Harfoots and skipped through their bits.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Rara Avis on 15 October, 2022, 12:10:13 PM

Gotta assume you're also prejudiced against Ewoks? Where do you stand on Ents?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just realized why I liked Galadriel's mental battle with [spoiler]Hal-Sauron-brand[/spoiler] so much - it reminded me of one of my favorite parts of Farscape - when Scorpius/Harvey was in John's mind.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Quote from: Radbacker on 15 October, 2022, 04:27:34 AM
[spoiler]I don't think you he Istari is Gandalf though probably one of the older Istari I will be a bit disappointed if it is him as I've been lead to believe he's not on Middle Earth in this age [/spoiler]

[spoiler]I wonder if they'll retcon their way around this by suggesting that this is an earlier visit. It's not too crazy, as we already know that Gandalf can't really die.[/spoiler]
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Overall I thought the series was quite good. The pacing would be my main complaint., It didn't exactly hit the ground running, and it has been using mystery-box-bullshit as an unnecessary crutch. I didn't buy the [spoiler]Halbrand is Sauron[/spoiler] theories because I thought they were dumb. I still do.

I'm now swayed into thinking that The Stranger is actually Saruman, he makes that very Gandalf like comment about following your nose but the actor has a slight wonk on his nose which is very similar to Christopher Lee.

Nah, it's Gandalf. They're setting up the origin of his affection for Hobbitses. I'm fine with it just being another one of his weird wizzardy quirks, but Star Wars has taught us that if you're doing a prequel, you have to throw in a few pointless origins about things nobody really wondered about. I wouldn't be looking for clues from the actor's physical appearance. Elrond and Galadriel don't look like they're supposed to Hugo Weaving or Cait Blanchett.

Speaking of whom, I'm coming around to this Galadriel now, but not telling Elrond [spoiler]Halbrand was secretly Sauron[/spoiler]? I can't tell if that's stupidity or pride or some combination thereof. I'm already not looking forward to the scene where all is inevitably and predictably revealed and there a big hoodoo.

No Durin, Disa and the Dwarves. BOOOOO!

I could have done without ten minutes of teary harfoot goodbyes.

Everything else is great. The magic fight was fantastic, the bit with the staff spinning was straight from The Fellowship's magic fight between Gandalf and Saruman. But like Columbo, there's just a few little things that bother me, and that drags it down to quite good.

Half a billion dollary-doos for quite good.

Not helped by nothing in this fantasy show being as epic as that scene in the other fantasy show where an aul' lad hobbles up to his sword nest.
You may quote me on that.

Rara Avis

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 October, 2022, 04:37:13 PM

Gotta assume you're also prejudiced against Ewoks? Where do you stand on Ents?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I just realized why I liked Galadriel's mental battle with [spoiler]Hal-Sauron-brand[/spoiler] so much - it reminded me of one of my favorite parts of Farscape - when Scorpius/Harvey was in John's mind.
`

How dare you Sir! I would never stand on an Ent  ;)

Actually we might get to see some Entwives in this...

judgeurko

Brilliant show, much better than the incest loving time jumping House of Dragon crud

Tiplodocus

Yeah that was good stuff. It wasn't knock your socks off/ would recommend to everyone good, especially with the slow start, but was spot on for me.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Funt Solo

I'm really pleased with how they've managed the whole business with [spoiler]Sauron[/spoiler] - who we're used to seeing as a dreadful visage, but clearly used to have the ability to appear in a more fair guise, and has always had the ability to manipulate people.

I'm not sure it makes a lot of sense to complain about a piece of art based on how much money was shelled out on it. Money can't buy you love, as famously sung by Newcastle heavy metal quintet Oasis.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

I did love how Oasis fused Acid House with Glam Rock but with a Scottish Soul tinge.

Anyway I've just watched the last episode and I loved it - I'm a bit tired and emotional (hungover, that is) but was genuinely teary-eyed at the Harfoots' last scenes.

The [spoiler]Sauron[/spoiler] [spoiler]reveal[/spoiler] - Well, I've known for a long time that most of you people are way savvier than me when it comes to predicting plots, but I just did not see that coming. Even the [spoiler]misdirection[/spoiler] at the [spoiler]start[/spoiler] caught me out hook, line and sinker.

And there's still the dwarf family conflict to be resolved. Very much looking forward to more.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Guardian review:

"Now it's over, let's come out and say it: The Rings of Power was a stinker. The world's most expensive show – which looked like an episode of Hollyoaks, only with woeful acting – was so inept that every episode left you sniggering."

hmmm ...
i sort of agree. i just don't see what this glossy and often beautiful-looking production - albeit one that was also often clumsily performed and clunkily written - had to offer anyone coming to the party for the first time.
i liked it, just about and all in all. but a billion bucks needs more than the likes of nerdy me to kind of like something.