Main Menu

Glasgow...

Started by Proudhuff, 11 August, 2003, 10:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Yes, a wee trip to Weegieland to look at Whistlers paintings at the Uni last Saturday,and dropped into a wee comix shop in the Byres Road (sp) FUTURESHOCK, more GN that FP and a wierd choice in Radio  (Aussie Christain) but a load of Titan books. Anyone else go there?

Huffy
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Ah, Proudhuff, that's my favourite place. I was in only yesterday.

Neil, who runs it, had his shirt off and was sitting in the sun, but I needed comics and wasn't going to let such a sight stop me! :-)

It is a great shop, isn't it?
Of the old school of comics shops.
Order? Tidy shelves? Cataloguing? Alphabetical order? Bollocks to them!

Just climb into a pile and dig your way out!

He also has lots of comics from 10 or 15 years ago, still with their original prices on.

Next time you're going, Huffy, give me a shout and we may coincide. The Halt bar, just up the road, is a nice place to waste some time, too.

- Trout

Trout

And by the way, it's on Woodlands Road.

- Trout

Tex Hex

Hey-hey! I go there too sometimes. When its sunny you have to give the guy a wave so he'll stop sunbathing across the road. I may just go there soon and order a bunch o' stuff.

The old A1 shop on Great Western road has become "the Dream" or something. Still sells comics, only now it also sells other wierd stuff too. How bizarre.

Oh go to the Uisge Beatha for gods sake Trouty.

Tex Hex

So, like, where you at Trout?

Slippery PD

Its so long since Id been shoppingh in Glasgow ( i know Im a west coaster - shocking!!) But there used to be a loverley comic shop in the argyll arcade, quality!!!

Yer Slips

Tex Hex

S'gone now Slips. Sorry. There is , however, a fair sized Games Workshop style place. If that floats your boat...

John Caliber

Red Hot Comics are based in Glasgow. They have a warehouse packed with thousands of comics and a mean mail order service. Anybody here do business with Ivor Davis?

- John
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Trout

I don't go to pubs I can't spell. :-)

I'm in (well, near) Perth, which is only an hour from Glasgow or Edinburgh, so I nip down to buy stuff from time to time.

I could go to shops in Dundee or Stirling, but they're not as good.

Neil Craig in Future Shock is effectively my comics guru.
I've had a standing order there (and in his past shop, on Byres Road) for the last 12 years or so and he now knows my preferences so well that I've cut browsing time to a bare minimum! :-)

Admittedly, I do read Comics International and I'm always on the web, so I'm well-informed, but it's a near-extinct luxury to have a comics shop like it.

I know the owner, we discuss what's new and what's good, and he sets aside things - with no obligation to buy - that he thinks I might quite like.

Next time you're in, tell him Mike from Perth recommended him, and says hello.

BTW - his back issue stock is a real Aladdin's Cave. Well, Aladdin's Filing Cabinet.

- Trout

Tex Hex

I will as well. Dont think I wont!

My friends (american "comic" "fans") are appalled at the state of FS but I think its great. It was always more convenient to go to forbidden planet, but now Im over on queen margret drive it shall become my local...

Aside: Me and my mate went to the Crosslands pub quiz the other night and came joint last. Which, given the spectrum of patronage, was embarassing.

Tiplodocus

"Oh go to the Uisge Beatha for gods sake Trouty."

Admittedly the pub with the unspellable name has a fine selection of malts but I always feel I'm in a Scottish Theme Pub.  It's really only a nothc away from shortbread biscuit tins and little models of pipers and drummers in plastic tubes.

When sub crawling, we invariable end up in The Doublet (after having run up the escalator of doom at Kelvinbridge).

Link: http://www.subcrawl.co.uk" target="_blank">I'm on this site looking pished

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Queen Firey-Bou

so is that glasgae comic shop the really wee one, with all the back issues stashed thru the back where theres usually knowledgable looking blokes hiding , discussing comicia in hushed tones. Whereas a coupla goth kids do the till up near the toys at the front ?

yeah i been there, got very exited & had to be removed from premesis by non-comicy ex. Thank grud for petemask! we can boldly geek together!

Proudhuff

It was an experience I really enjoyed, a real comic shop as I remember them! it all reminded me of the old Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinbra when it was populated by drunks, popstars and Alan Moore lookalikes, before fame, liver failures and FP intruded.

I wasn't sure about exactly how much clothing the nice chap behind the pile of comic was wearing, all the bits I could see wear bare and the adverts on the radio were starting to scaring me a bit so I did head out fir a pint after my purchases, I eyed up the 'Uisge Beatha' but with it being the first day of the season and me being a big ugly Edinburgher I chose to stroll back to the Horseshoe Bar, discretion being the better part of Valour.
i got the address off the sticker on the back of an GN/BD I bought, (old stock?) along with issues 1 and 2 of 'Losers' which, has been pointed out, is a great reworking of the A-team with fine artwork.

i will be heading back through on 1 Nov hopefully, for some stuff in the Burrell so, Trouty, Hex, anyone!  if yer up for a pint I am, after a token viewing of some of Whstlers pastels of course.

Huffy B-)

DDT did a job on me

DavidXBrunt

Tiplodocus

Cheers DXB.

FURTURESHOCK in Woodlands Road will be getting a visit next week.

Who else didn't know there was a search facility on this board?

Just me then.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!