Main Menu

RIP Psygnosis

Started by Mudcrab, 23 August, 2012, 10:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudcrab

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19350856  :'(

Includes a quote from some guy Jason from a company called Rebellion?  ;)

Some of my favourite games ever from them. Barbarian many years ago and of course Wipeout.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

JamesC

I'd love a new Colony Wars game but I don't suppose it's ever going to happen now.

Professor Bear

God yeah - I still play Red Sun.  Disc version, no less.

I remember them as far back as the Speccy.  Surprised they didn't take advantage of mobile gaming and digital-exclusive delivery of their back catalog to grab a bit of coin, though if half the horror stories of how Microsoft charge developers to host games on XBL are true I guess they couldn't afford it.
A sad day for nostalgic gamers everywhere.  If you've been gaming for ten years or more, chances are they had a hand in at least one of your favorite games.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Mudcrab on 23 August, 2012, 10:41:26 AM
Some of my favourite games ever from them. Barbarian many years ago and of course Wipeout.
WipeOut 2097, Pure and Fusion are among my favourite games and the best produced on their respective platforms. Then I was having a look at the wikipedia page and saw that they'd also made stuff like Shadow of the Beast, Lemmings and G-Police.

Cor!
We never really die.

Bat King

100 staff out of work in Liverpool... not a good time.

Hope they are mobile.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Keef Monkey

That's really sad. I remember when I was young seeing their name as a real sign of quality, it felt like class just oozed out of their stuff.

Even just the box art was a cut above, some of it was fantastic. They're one of a handful of companies that defined my formative years (and they even published a very early game by the folks I work for, so in an alternate universe where Psygnosis didn't exist there's every chance my job wouldn't, so they quite literally had a huge impact on my life).

Gutted for them.

Satanist

Quote from: Professah Byah on 23 August, 2012, 01:23:59 PM
...though if half the horror stories of how Microsoft charge developers to host games on XBL are true I guess they couldn't afford it...

Owned by Sony so not a chance. Sorry to see them go  :'(

They ruled the Amiga.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Heath C Ackley

Its a shame, Wipeout was 'kin mental!
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Rog69

That's a real shame, I didn't realize until now that Sony Liverpool = Psygnosis.

I used to love their games on the ST and Amiga, seeing Barbarian running on an Atari ST in HMV in Brum many years ago was what ushered me out of the 8 bit era and into the 16 bit, I saved like mad to get an ST after that and then upgraded to an Amiga later on.

M.I.K.

Something I used to wonder about... Was Psygnosis originally meant to be named Psychosis? Their original fancy fonted logo could be read as either.

DoomBot

Sorry to see them go. I loved Wipeout and still play it on the PS3. They produced great games in the past but I think they've produced little other than wipeout in recent years. It's a tired franchise and  so not a huge surprise they've been axed given Sony's financial problems.

DrJomster

Sad news.

Barbarian really takes me back! Not to mention Wipeout.

All the best to those affected.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.