Main Menu

Top 40 Game

Started by GrinningChimera, 25 April, 2014, 08:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrinningChimera

Me and my girlfriend have just come up with this game. You get the top 40 singles list for the week you were born for each person. Then using youtube, you listen to them one at a time and decide which one was the better song. Not really a game that anyone can win. Just a bit of fun. Works well if there is a bigger gap between the two people playing I suppose. Of course you can also play parent against child, friends vs friends...whatever. Just a good way to listen to some music with people and that sort of thing.

If anyone got this far and gives it a try let us know how it went. Also feel free to list any memorable head to heads that pop up while you play.

CrazyFoxMachine

I was born in '87 I think listening to all forty singles from that week would be hugely traumatic.

THE CHEEEESE. The No.1 on the day was Jefferson Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now  :o

Tiplodocus

They only had a Top Thirty for most of my life.  This Top Forty thing is a fairly recent invention is it not?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

amines2058

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 25 April, 2014, 12:28:59 PM
They only had a Top Thirty for most of my life.  This Top Forty thing is a fairly recent invention is it not?

Errr 1951 (according to the pinnacle of truth Wikipedia), so unless you are about 140 then it may have been around longer than you thought!

Skullmo

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 April, 2014, 12:25:24 PM
I was born in '87 I think listening to all forty singles from that week would be hugely traumatic.

THE CHEEEESE. The No.1 on the day was Jefferson Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now  :o

Tune!
It's a joke. I was joking.

GrinningChimera

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 25 April, 2014, 12:25:24 PM

I was also born in '87. Twas clearly a good year. :D

8-Ball

Born in April '79. Art Garfunkel was at #1 with Bright Eyes. I'll need to see what other dross was clogging up the hit parade. :think:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

JamesC

I was born in '76 and the number one when I was born was 'Under the Moon of Love' by Shawaddywaddy.
Years later I had to listen to this song every night while working on a holiday camp bar.

Moggot Lover

Slade 'come feel the noise' was number 1 when I can screaming into this world. 1973
"We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go." --Col. Tigh. BSG.

soggy

Slade also number 1 for me with "Coz I luv you". Real mixed bag, some good, some not(french bloke singing about butterflies and Benny Hill).

I'm going to have to go with no. 33 The Doors Riders on the Storm.

(now I feel so old)

Link Prime

Jan '78 for this old soak.
And it was Macca's Mull of Kintyre. Not bad I s'pose.

CrazyFoxMachine

Slade are amazing you lucky sods.

amines2058

Hmm The '3 Degrees' with 'When Will I See You Again' for me in August 1974. I also have that holiday classic 'Y Vive Espana' at no 28, and The Wombles at no 38! :-[
Luckily there are some Stones, McCartney and Clapton in there to balance this out! ;)

NapalmKev

Feb 1978, a number 1 from Punk Pioneers ABBA, with 'Take a Chance on me'!
Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JayzusB.Christ

April 1975.  I get Bay City Rollers with Bye Bye Baby.  I don't want it.  You can have it.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"