Main Menu

Prog 2148 - Fear of the Machine!

Started by norton canes, 05 September, 2019, 12:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

IronGraham

Prog has really ben on a roll these last few weeks only let down was the 3riler could of been done in one prog.
We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Monarch

totally agree with colin and jim on indigo prime

Bolt-01

Only just got my prog - so while I go and read the rest of the thread I just want to say Holy Drokk - what a prog!

#PraiseTharg

Proudhuff

Jaegir and Dredd hitting it out the park this week again!
TMO wants to buy a country in Damage Report...any suggestions?  :P
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Yeah that 3riller should have been done in four pages.

McNulty

I know I don't contribute to the reviews very much but I would like to make my opinion known about 2000AD. 2000AD has become really depressing to read. The art and colour style has gotten a lot darker of late and the stories have lost their spark. If you read this week's Dredd and Jaegir the stories are telling you it doesn't matter if you are a good person and try to do what is right you will come to a bad end. Carrol and Rennie have crafted stories depicting formally good people, the Judges and the Southers as just as bad as organised criminals or the Norts. I understand that these stories never had black and white outlooks, there were always some bad judges and bad Southers, but this is relentless. I'm sure some commenters will just tell me to grow up and stop complaining but this is how I feel. 2000AD is usually an anthology of different styles or art and storytelling but recently they are seeming to converge on a specific worldview that everything is screwed and there is no point trying to be optimistic. This might be the writers and artists reflecting what is going on in the real world and I can understand this, but can we not have at least a few stories that reflect a better world, one that we might strive for?

"She understands all right. She knew now what the rest of us have known for years - that the Judges are just thugs who wear matching uniforms."

"Burn it! Burn the monster that stole our dreams!"

"You can't stop us. We're gonna take...this planet..."

"Y-you didn't have to do that. These others weren't even armed."

Outside or Sin/Dex I don't see any optimism in this week's prog. But then, when was the last time a series ended with any kind of upbeat conclusion? I truly hope this will change in the future.

Colin YNWA

Too be fair though has 2000ad ever been big on a happy ending? In the old days, first 100 issues say the standard story conclusion seemed to be 'and the hero died... horribly' or 'The dinosaurs won' etc etc.

As the stories have 'grown up' that darkness has become more bitter and harder possibly but I'd suggest this isn't a new thing. The recent conclusion to Absalom I'd suggest is about as happy an ending as you've ever got in 2000ad.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

IndigoPrime

I quite liked the Thriller having room to breathe. Sure, it could have been done in a few pages, but not all 2000 AD storytelling has to be dense. That said, the entire thing did whiff a bit of trailer. It was all a bit "if you like this, we could do a series!" (Personally, I'd rather like a series.)

Woolly

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 September, 2019, 12:52:53 PM
Too be fair though has 2000ad ever been big on a happy ending? In the old days, first 100 issues say the standard story conclusion seemed to be 'and the hero died... horribly' or 'The dinosaurs won' etc etc.

As the stories have 'grown up' that darkness has become more bitter and harder possibly but I'd suggest this isn't a new thing. The recent conclusion to Absalom I'd suggest is about as happy an ending as you've ever got in 2000ad.

Yeah, thats my take on it.
Although, the end of 'The Samaritan' did leave a sour taste. Is Dredd *really* complacent with the treatment of her by Justice Dept after she saved his life? Doesn't ring true to me...

Woolly

Additional: Is the current 'Judges are bad' run in response to the rise of the far right in real life?
A reminder that we really shouldnt be routing for fascism?

I dunno.. probably reading too much into it!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Woolly on 10 September, 2019, 04:51:21 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 10 September, 2019, 12:52:53 PM

Yeah, thats my take on it.
Although, the end of 'The Samaritan' did leave a sour taste. Is Dredd *really* complacent with the treatment of her by Justice Dept after she saved his life? Doesn't ring true to me...

Its one of the things I've liked from the early days: the lack of saccharin in all the stories in 2000ad,
i think a life saving precog who ends up used by the Justice Dept, along with hundreds of others, rings true to Sci-Fi and MC1 troupes, as for Dredd he was going to stab her in the neck at one point after she saved him, he's softened but a Prep's still a Perp to old Stoney Face.   
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Dredd – a dark, moody and grim story. For the judges an individual does not count but getting their man does. Barbarbara is just collateral damage. I am enjoying the story and Dyers's art suiting the storyline.

There were words, there were pictures, some images and allot of sentences, some constructs, a few eclipses, the planets were alignment and then there was Indigo Prime. Final analysis: divide by zero.

Sin/Dex – not enjoying the current run

3riller – this feels like an action packed first episode. Hopefully we can have more later, and this might just be the beginning.

Jaegir – highlight of the prog. Just great story and great art. Wish we had a longer run of this.

4/5 this time around
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

Quote from: McNulty on 10 September, 2019, 10:50:36 AMThis might be the writers and artists reflecting what is going on in the real world and I can understand this, but can we not have at least a few stories that reflect a better world, one that we might strive for?
Cherrypicking here, but I'd love to know which classic 2000AD stories you think reflect a better world? There's
the odd character here and there who thinks they're doing something the right thing - Johnny Alpha or Torquemada, for example - but it's invariably against the backdrop of a fairly unpleasant setting.
We never really die.