Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

The Exorcist - 50th Anniversary Edition.

My first time to see it on the big screen and boy, does that make a difference. I can understand now the effect it would have had on cinema-goers at the time. Just as scary and disturbing now as I imagine it must have been when first released. An absolute masterpiece.

Hawkmumbler

STOP MAKING SENSE (1984)

My god, if you get the chance to see the new 4K on an IMAX screen, take it.
Let the moment wash over you.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 06 October, 2023, 07:27:41 PMSTOP MAKING SENSE (1984)

My god, if you get the chance to see the new 4K on an IMAX screen, take it.
Let the moment wash over you.

Dude, a double bill of this with True Stories would be great. I have so much time for anything David Byrne does.
You may quote me on that.

pictsy

I watched the two Lady Snowblood films.  Enjoyed them both.  The first is a decent revenge story.  I'm not sure what the second film hoped to accomplish - if it was meant to be another revenge story I didn't quite get it.

I also watched Godzilla for the first time last night.  The original.  I liked it.  I was surprised at how much of a thoughtful reflection of nuclear weapons it actually turned out to be.  I was expecting mostly stompy-stompy-smash-smash.  I might watch it's sequel tonight.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: pictsy on 08 October, 2023, 03:12:59 PMI also watched Godzilla for the first time last night.  The original.  I liked it.  I was surprised at how much of a thoughtful reflection of nuclear weapons it actually turned out to be.  I was expecting mostly stompy-stompy-smash-smash.

I make no bones about my admiration for the Gojira franchise, it's as deeply engrained into who I am as pasty barms and hating Man City.
The original sits on a very special pedestal among movies, it gets better with every viewing and it was already a masterpiece.

QuoteI might watch it's sequel tonight.

I can't say don't, but Rides Again is comfortably considered one of the worst of the series, and the melancholic grandeur of the original is gone already.
Maybe watch Return of Godzilla instead, the 1984 quasi-reboot to the series that ignored the rest of the Showa era films save for the original.

pictsy

I wasn't in the mood for Godzilla.  I ended up watching Azumi instead - haven't seen it in a while.

BPP

The creator features some bomb-bots that are very early robusters ' Ashley woods 3a.

Terrible star child bobbins story but well acted and looks fantastic. A cinema rather than home watch.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JohnW

Just watched The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance for the first time in a dog's age.
Is James Stewart far too old to play 'a youngster fresh out of law school'?
Yes.
Anything else wrong with the film?
No.
Nothing at all?
Nothing.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

I saw The Last Voyage of the Demeter at the weekend. It looks good - there's a nicely claustrophobic feel to the setting and I really liked the vampire - very Nosferatu, animalistic in its movements, brutal in its attacks: pure horror, no Gary Oldman or sexy vampire here.

The need to pad it out to two hours though made it a mess. New characters are inserted, the ending is changed, and whilst I know characters in horror films act like fools this one was off the charts for stupid behaviour - having first been told Dracula is onboard and later everyone seeing him during an attack, the cast make all the daftest decisions possible and there's some real credibility stretching stuff at times. It all ends up dissolving any semblence of atmosphere.
At times boring, at other times annoying. Did a film need to be made of this? Absolutely not. Should you watch it? I wouldn't recommend it.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Richard on 26 September, 2023, 02:40:33 PMJust saw The Woman King and thought it was great.

I agree. It has a very mythic feel to it, and the shape of the end is very Star Wars so I thought it might be the first in a trilogy. I've had a quick butcher's but that doesn't seem to be the case, unfortunately. Still, any film that leaves you wanting more is a good one.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

I rewatched Strange Days.  I didn't like it much when I saw it around twenty years ago.  I thought I'd give it another go and see if I could find some value in it.  I could not.  It's a mess of a film and I found every beat it attempted (and it tried many) just failed to land and it ended up being incredibly tone deaf as well.  It seems like one of those disasters of a films that's ripe for a good dissecting because it fails in multitudinous ways to be a coherent piece of art.

I may have given it a pass if it was at least an interesting and/or entertaining mess.

Richard

JohnW

Quote from: Richard on 18 October, 2023, 11:21:36 PMI love Strange Days!
Starring Angela Bassett and Angela Bassett's cheekbones!

(Also Tom Sizemore's wig, but that didn't have the same box office draw.)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

I also love Strange Days!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

karlos

Dirty Pair: Project Eden aka The Movie.

Mid 80s sci-fi anime that is just beautiful to look at.

Not entirely sure what the plot is actually about, but huge fun, nonetheless.

It's currently on ol' YouTube in HD.