Main Menu

Does My Figure look big in this?

Started by Trooper McFad, 09 April, 2021, 09:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trooper McFad

Thanks as always guys.
Always glad these things bring joy to others.
atp I can confirm the Yondu was from the Titan series and a lot of trimming was needed around his legs. Regards my choices of figures it can be a mixed process but predominantly I have my favourites in my head and browse eballs for something suitable. For The Mighty one he was almost converted from a green goblin figure but his facial expressions did not hit the picture I had in my head.

However the big bundle I found Yondu, also had Black widow (Halo), Hawkeye (Stix)& a Thor who's eventually going to be Wulf. Those I knew what I wanted to do. But I had another Thor, Antman, Ironman and a Captain America I had no idea what to do with. So I did the reverse and started to do re-reads for inspiration.
You have seen that Ironman became Proteus Vex (with a little stretch of his neck) and I have plans to convert the others to in no order- Luther (insurrection), Kano & a VC. 2 will be done by the end of the year along with a Harlem Hero! So I'm a busy man.

My next scratch build is being thought of but not yet settled on one yet.

When you do decide on working on something I'd be very excited to see your results. I'm still blown away by your Dredd.
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

atp

When looking at your past creations I noticed a Bisley berserker in the background.
When that amazing statue was released, I couldn't get my hands on one, so I sculpted my own
version a few years ago.

The freedom of choice should be compulsory

Trooper McFad

Quote from: atp on 24 September, 2023, 04:24:15 PMWhen looking at your past creations I noticed a Bisley berserker in the background.
When that amazing statue was released, I couldn't get my hands on one, so I sculpted my own
version a few years ago.

We don't just leave it there show me a pic 👍🏻😁

atp

Quote from: Trooper McFad on 24 September, 2023, 06:47:27 PMWe don't just leave it there show me a pic

My Bad, I put an incomplete link URL.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trooper McFad

That's why you are the master and I'm just an apprentice. Fabulous

After picking up Joe Pineapples (unpainted) I was on a mission to find as many Tooth characters as possible. I was fortunate to pick up the Slaine figure unpainted off eBay.
He's in fact my starting point for all my creations since.
The reason was his boar's head did not have tusks so I created 2 little tusks and found it fairly simple and thought let's try something else (which was my Hammerstein) and it's literally grown arms and legs from there.
So even though Slaine isn't in my top 5 characters this figure has a special place on n my shelf.

Your take on it is brilliant

Trooper McFad

Hopefully this works never tried to post a link to another thread
It's My Slaine after I finished it.
https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46336.15

atp

That's the one, link worked OK. Great paint job, and I agree painting checks is a chore, as are pinstripes, which you are likely already aware from your Max Normal. I'm looking forward to your next creation, any idea when it will be ready to feast our eyes on.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: atp on 08 October, 2023, 03:10:44 PMThat's the one, link worked OK. Great paint job, and I agree painting checks is a chore, as are pinstripes, which you are likely already aware from your Max Normal. I'm looking forward to your next creation, any idea when it will be ready to feast our eyes on.
I have a few on the go but paused due to a 30th wedding anniversary Holiday and an unexpected family bereavement which has put paid to my 1 a month target. Model making drops down the to do list. Once I get gumption to get going I'm sure the conveyor belt will start rolling again - I have at least 12 figures I still want to do so many more releases to come.

I have my Xmas one in the bag using a suggestion you made last year. It was actually ready last February!

atp

Congratulations on the 30th wedding anniversary, It's nice to hear long term relationships are still around.
In the last few years it seems that partnerships seem to be becoming more disposable of late.
Condolences re the family bereavement, happy and sad times must leave you with mixed emotions.

Trooper McFad

Well it's been a while but life throws curveballs which have to be dealt with. Thankfully I find working these little trinkets very mentally soothing so getting back to modelling is a help. I won't be pushing the boat out and trying to pump out 1 a month so you will still get my attempts of creating Tooth figures but in a 6-8 week release date time frame at best.

Onto the main event.

As some will have seen on the 2023 Advent I have created a Mean figure – Mean on the Screen. This was totally accidental as my original idea for Mean was to copy a fellow boarder's avatar and picture submitted on the "Does my art look big in this?" thread.
I'm talking about the image from Woolly of mean sitting on a big rock. I loved this pose and have always wanted to get a hold of the Halcyon Mean figure at a decent price off Eballs. Guess what I did – others were wanting £40 but eventually one came up for £25 so it was snapped up.

As you can see from the 1st pick he's a standing figure and has his arm up. As it's an actual model kit he was also in bits. So taking time in building the bits I needed as whole I then started to "change" his pose. A little cut here and there, a bit of manipulation, milliput and sticky backed plastic and his legs were bent into the sitting shape. I also had to twist his head slightly as he wasn't looking in the right direction. As for his arm this had to be done after I was happy with the sitting pose. Leaving a small gap for the addition of his claw (to be made as these are not part of the kit) . Other additions were the shin pads, making his boots bigger and adding a cover over the shoulder.

My initial idea was to totally copy Woolly's pic and have Mean sitting on a rock. But as I hadn't made the rock yet I kept putting him on a shelf to see how his pose was coming along and with Christmas coming up I remembered that my work colleagues with younger kids did the stupid Elf on the shelf. Putting 2 & 2  together and saving time on creating a rock to sit on this is when he became Mean on the screen. However as you will see he's versatile and may be moved around the home office. An added benefit is that due to him being a 1/9th scale he can be kept away from the others in the cabinets.

To make him festive I had to create an elf hat from a Thor cape left over from one of my other mashups.

The other pics are the usual Primed, base coat and finished. I have also added a few in situ pics as he bounces round the room

Enjoy and I should have another creation ready sometime in January.

Trooper McFad

For those that are interested here's the low down on the low life snow globe:

As stated on the Advent thread I'm running out of space on the "office" tree so had to tack in another direction and after given a link to Snow globes by atp during last year's advent, I was onto it.
Up to Hobbcraft picked up a snow globe, a mini Xmas tree and a bag of fake snow I was off and running.
Next question was what/who to put in from the Warlord mini range?
I would have loved to do a Stront but they aren't selling them anymore and those on eballs are at least double the price! So it had to be from the Dredd world and the low life minis fitted the roll perfect.

In January I got the delivery of an extra set of Low life and started making them Festive.

The first photos show the changes and additions to the minis.

Once they were ready I thought about doing a traditional snow globe with liquid but as I use acrylic paint I was scared they would eventually peel even after a varnish.

I then wanted to put in a small blower at the bottom but couldn't find on at a miniature size at my price range (but still looking)

I then saw all these mini lights that everyone puts in bottles or vases. Very cheap and fitted In well.

With the lights and figures in I sprinkled in some fake snow. Closed it up and gave it a shake. Not the best snowy snow globe but the more I shook it then rubbed it on my belly the static made the snow stick to the side's for a while.

The pictures don't do it justice when the lights are on but I'm happy with it sitting on the shelf. And it's been there since last January - that's how excited I was to get something ready for this year's advent.

I have another idea forming in my head to start in January - work on the advent is a year long effort.

Merry Christmas

Trooper McFad

Well fellow squaxx its a New Year and I'm still bashing Marvel/DC 12 inch figures, although I won't be going at the same pace as last year (maybe every other month)

The first of the year is a mashup of a falcon figure i picked up on eballs as the tight suit fitted the uniform of this Titan of the game Areoball - I give you Giant of Harlem Heros - floating in mid air.

As usual the extra stuff is a mix of milliput and air dry clay. shaped, moulded and sanded into shape. I was in 2 minds on whether to paint him monochrome or colour but as you can I plumped for colour and I'm glad I did.

I did think about posing him standing with the ball under his arm but I saw some expensive figures online who were "floating" and I thought I'd give it a go and again I'm happy with the results.

Another issue I had to over come was the eyewear. I thought about some coloured plastic but it would never have worked as good as my final choice of buying snow goggles for the 1/6th scale figures you can buy online - eballs is full of wee accessories for this and I will be hunting through that again sometime in the future. The ball is a 1/6 scale basketball which i pinned to his hand. As you will see in the photos I've left one hand as movable. I like doing this just to give them a different style now and again.

Hope you enjoy the results as much as I do  :D

Le Fink

Top work Trooper. The paint job is excellent!

Colin YNWA