Main Menu

Meg 310: The Cogs of War!

Started by Batman's Superior Cousin, 23 April, 2011, 01:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batman's Superior Cousin

Judge Dredd: Ends fairly well.

Anderson: Oh-oh, bad news for our favorite Psi-Judge.

Numbercruncher: Plodding along nicely!!!

Insurrection: Ends on a cliffhanger?!?

Articles: Are on Nigel Dobbyn, Swamp Thing and Lovecraft in comics while the Movier section is dissing Sucker Punch?!?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Oh, and the Flesh floppy is an enjoyable read, while Tales of Telguuth is less so!!!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Buttonman

No Dreddlines! The first blank since Meg 296 - shocker!

Paul faplad Finch

Out of interest (though I'm sure I could find out easily enough if I left the forum and actually looked at the rest of the site once in a while) what's in the Flesh floppy? Wouldn't be Chronocide would it?
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Buttonman

Quote from: Paul faplad Finch on 23 April, 2011, 01:30:10 PM
Out of interest (though I'm sure I could find out easily enough if I left the forum and actually looked at the rest of the site once in a while) what's in the Flesh floppy? Wouldn't be Chronocide would it?

It's 'The Legend of Shamana' Book one from Progs 800-808 & 1198.

Batman's Superior Cousin

The Legend of Shamana

Also, Buttonman is right, there are no letters this month!!!
Texts from Last Night

Batman's Superior Cousin

Bah, beaten to the punch by Buttonman of all people!!!
Texts from Last Night

Paul faplad Finch

Ah well,got my hopes up a bit there. Cheers lads for the quick response,anyway.

It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Buttonman

I think the older Flesh tales are getting the collected treatment along with 'Texas' which explains its 'old school' look.

The Dredd kind of fizzled out for me with nothing resolved. A new threat has been placed on the agenda but a bunch of nutters shooting the place up isn't really the kind of threat that interests me. Hershey gets a couple of hits but will make it so nothing changes apart from her maybe becoming a liability.

Still enjoying 'Numbercruncher' despite the point where I lose my way is rapidly approaching.

Anderson was OK with her big trip getting underway. The art bettered the script by a ratio of 2:1.

Insurrection finsihes his run with our man poised over the Doomsday button - will he won't he? I'm guessing not as it'd mean Dredd fighting with just his day stick for a new months.

Enjoyed the Nigel Dobbyn interview and came away with the thought that he's not been well treated by Tharg. Sure he's never had a big hit but when he's getting drek like 'Trash' 'Red Razors' and 'MediVac' he can hardly be held culpable. Give him a multi-part Dredd Tharg!

Not really interested in Lovecraft mythos or Swamp Thing but I appreciate many are. Movies seemed almost generous with 3.5 stars the low earner from those on show. I saw Death Race 2 last night and it was shit - there's a one star review on me!

No letters and a slightly unclear cover made this a 65% Meg for me.

Ancient Otter

I love Nigel Dobbyn's work too,get this man back on board Tharg!

Bluecube

I wasn't half disappointed with the Dredd tale. It started off in an excellent with Fatties, Hershey and a New Threat to MC-1. Fabulous! Excellent script and art too. The excellent art continued to the end but the script ended limper than a piece of tissue paper dropped in the ocean. VERY disappointing indeed. Obviously it's setting the scene for further mysterious attacks and stonings but I'm really getting fed up with these short stories that peter out to nothing. The writers really need to be allowed to tell the entire shebang in one go!

Numbercruncher isn't doing anything for me. It's highly original and clever but just not for me. Same with Insurrection which everyone is raving about. Sorry but I'm finding this pretty dull. Once again I feel the story is too short to do the material justice!

I love Boo Cook's artwork and he does a great Anderson but he has to remember that Anderson is 50(ish) and not an uber fit, gravity defying breasts gym babe type thing. I'm nitpicking as usual  :D Great story, great art.
An Atlantean Triumvirate
Ghosts of the Past
The Centre Cannot Hold

My eBooks are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

The Monarch

They stuck a world of warcrap onto the Flesh gn?

that kind of sucks

Keef Monkey

Brilliant Meg for me, with Dredd actually being the weakest thing in it. Was still good, but lost a lot of welly in being gone for a month which is a shame.

Numbercruncher is still great, Holden's art is a joy in the way the style seems to change sometimes over the course of a page (or a panel even) depending on who and what you're looking at but it's always organic enough that it never jars. Curious where it will go from here, as it might become repetitive if it's a Roadrunner-esque chase/outsmart cycle repeated. It hasn't become repetitive, it just might. I've got enough faith in PJ and Spurrier that it'll stay interesting.

Anderson was brilliant, am hoping her tripped out state gives Boo Cook plenty of space to flex his creative muscles, because just the couple of trippy panels so far have been splendid. And I know she's 50, and the depiction of her as a sexed up fembot seems odd if you think about it too much, but damn she looks good in that panel where she first gets a dose.

And the highlight for me (as usual) was Insurrection. I couldn't quite believe we were on the finale, and couldn't for the life of me think how they could wrap it up. And they didn't. Maybe this will turn out to be the right way to leave it, right now I'm not so sure, but it definitely gave me pause for thought. I see the trade in December apparently collects Insurrection and Insurrection 2, so I'm assuming that either means this is the end, or that there's be enough of it to come for another trade (I'd hate to see any of it not collected). As it is I'm gonna read the whole thing again and see how I feel but right now I feel I've been left hanging.

Enjoyed the articles more than usual, although I'm still avoiding the film reviews whenever they look like films I don't want spoiled (like this month), and I skim through the artist features usually. I love the art and obviously have a huge respect for what they do, but because they're always 2000AD or ex-2000AD artists doing a whole feature on how they got into the business is pretty pointless and reads the same every month. We know how they got into the business. Through 2000AD. Probably a lot more interesting to those lucky enough to be artists themselves mind you.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: The monarch on 24 April, 2011, 10:48:22 PM
They stuck a world of warcrap onto the Flesh gn?
that kind of sucks
Wait until you see the absolutely hideous (albeit possibly unavoidable) moiré pattern across most of every page of Flesh. Horrible. (And more next month too—bleh.)

Dandontdare

Another good meg I thought.

I also thought the Dredd kind of petered out rather than coming to a conclusion - Hershey gets wounded and the shootings are never solved. I see this as laying the groundwork for a future story rather than being a 'thing' in itself. I think BM's suggestion of Hershey becoming a liability would be intriguing, if heartbreaking! (Ah, Barbara!)

Anderson was a good story, but I can't seem to get on with Boo Cook's style. It bugs me because I have no idea why - it's obviously good and people seem to rave about it, but something just leaves me cold - i think it may be the eyes, but I don't know, it just doesn't thrill me the way others do.

Numbercrucncher steams on, a classic in both story and art. great fun.

I've been enjoying Insurrection immensely, but I thought this finished rather abruptly - this felt like a mid-story cliffhanger rarther than the end of book 2. And why has the protagonist taken to wearing a bizarre superhero mask? I'd be interested to know if that came from the writer or artist, but it seemed a bit ... strange. I adore Colin's giant robots and apes! Oh, and I'm fighting with Whittle Block when it comes to title pages at the end - NO! (The Dredd in this week's prog tried to please all camps by sticking the title in the MIDDLE!)

I think they've got the balance about right with text articles, in the amount and subject. Particularly liked the Swamp Thing one, though it didn't add much I hadn't read before. I haven't read the floppy yet, and may never get around to it which is rare for me (I even re-read Snow/Tiger!)