Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Update. Well, I'm up before the magistrates tomorrow on this "assaulting a police officer" charge.
Last Monday, I called the solicitor that was assigned to me by the system - the day after he represented me the last time he went on holiday and I was told that he would "ring me nearer the time", which he didn't.
Thinking that 8 days was sufficiently "nearer the time" I took the initiative and called him on the Monday. He wasn't available but would call me back "as soon as possible", which transpired to be Tuesday afternoon. He asked me to attend his office on the Wednesday. But this was not for me to meet him and discuss the case but to drop my wage slips off. "Can't do anything until I know I'm going to get paid." Fair enough - should I drop my video evidence and statement off at the same time? "Er, yeah, if you want, I suppose."
Thursday, nothing. Friday, unreachable. Then it's the weekend.
10am this morning I called again and managed to talk to him directly. How's it going? "Well, I've had to send your paperwork to Nottingham for a decision on legal aid and other payment stuff."
"I see - and the case?"
"Still don't know if I can represent you, yet."
"Okay - so I'm at court at 9.30 in the morning. If you're there, you'll help me but if not I'm on my own?"
"Yeah."
"Brilliant. Thanks so much for your help. Goodbye" *BEEP*
So now I'm trawling the web learning about magistrates court procedure, working out questions and strategies and reading Cicero's "Murder Trials" for inspiration.
"If you cannot afford a solicitor, one will be provided for you." Yeah, right. Thanks for that...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 23 June, 2014, 02:18:45 PM
So now I'm trawling the web learning about magistrates court procedure, working out questions and strategies and reading Cicero's "Murder Trials" for inspiration.

Just stay away from Kafka  :D

Good luck my friend, I feel you may need it
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

I admit I am armchair lawyering here, but I'm pretty sure if you don't have any representation there's no trial.  It sounds suspiciously like a dog and pony show.

Hawkmumbler

This whole affair is turning out to be lonher than Die Nibelungen!

Good luck Sharky!

ZenArcade

Not too what Magistrates' Court procedure is like in England, but there should be a duty solicitor in the Court building, explain your position to her/him and they will persumably seek an adjournment untill you are properly advised upon how to plead, that is to say your 'attitude' towards the charge. If there is no duty solicitor, go to the Court Clerk before proceedings commence and ascertain your place on the list. Point out to her/him your situation in that your solicitor has engendered a delay and you wish to have the matter adjourned for say 2 weeks until you are able to brief and be adequately represented by a solicitor. This is not legal advice as I cannot comment on procedure in English Courts but in extremis it is what I'd be inclined to do. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

Heh, the idea of turning into a giant insect is rather appealing right now - especially one with wings. And yeah, I think I am going to need a lot of luck - and a lot of notes!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Z - was just reading about the duty solicitor before taking this coffee/panic break.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

You are at a very early stage of the process, so don't panic too much. The meat of the issue comes after you are arraigned. You cannot be arraigned untill either a. You elect to do so (don't do this) or b. You have sufficient legal advice on how to plead (do this). I would find it incredible if any Court allowed you to plea as an unrepresented person in a matter such as this. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Richmond Clements

I think the only problem here (apart from the horredous stress of the case of course) is a bust solicitor failing to communicate what's happening.
If legal aid is not sorted by Monday, he *should* just tell the court this and your trail will be set for a later date, after Legal Aid  is determined.

JayzusB.Christ

Wish I had some advice too, but I just have no idea.  I just hope it all works out well for you, Sharky.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

von Boom

I have nothing helpful to offer except my best wishes that everything works out for you Sharky.

The Legendary Shark

Thanks all - I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. Strangely, I'm more excited than scared, hungry for this new experience despite the dangers - is that wrong, I wonder?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Bloody hell Shark, that is a ridiculous cause of added stress.  Very best of luck.

Professor Bear

I'll give you the advice my gran gave me for dealing with John Q Law: always keep your balls covered and don't tell the bastards nothing.

CrazyFoxMachine

May your gods go with you Shark - hope it all works okay and it won't be too long before we hear more from you on this thread here - honestly I'm wishing for a dull uneventful read with NO BAD THINGS :S