Main Menu

Frankentime

Started by pauljholden, 27 October, 2019, 05:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

TordelBack

Continued WHEN? Damnit I want more NOW. Excellent stuff, thanks PJ!

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Robin Low

I NEED CLOSURE, GODAMMMMIT!!!!!

Regards,

Robin

Funt Solo

Needs full series - someone call TMO...
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pauljholden

Hah, glad you liked it. Do I spend time refining it and making it fit for human consumption or go "sod it" and just keep ploughing on in that half-arsed awful art to see where it takes me...?

Rogue Judge

This is awesome, belongs in the Prog!

Trooper McFad

Like the others said I want more and although a tarted up version would be visually awesome I like the "half-arsed awful art" as well. Maybe because the plot of story is drawing you in it doesn't require visual candy yet!
If you've got ideas keep going with it. I'm sure everyone on here will want to to find out the next instalment 😃👍🏻
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Cosier

Sinx

Sometimes I think this is what comics should be, simple but well constructed art that can be pumped out quickly allowing the artist and writer to create a hefty volume of work. Sometimes I wonder if spending days on a page which will be read in minutes and worse forgotten nearly as quickly still if the story is poor is somehow missing the point

Bolt-01

PJ - keep drawing this. It is silly and brilliant. I adore the immediacy of your work.

sheridan

I'm fine with rough arts - in the past I've seen some artwork (not anybody in particular) where the prelims were better than the final piece.  Though, uh, perhaps spend a little more time on the lettering as some of it has to be parsed a couple of times to read.

Frank

Quote from: Sinx on 29 October, 2019, 11:11:47 AM
Sometimes, I think this is what comics should be. Simple but well-constructed art that can be pumped out quickly, allowing the artist and writer to create a hefty volume of work.

Sometimes I wonder if spending days on a page which will be read in minutes - and worse, forgotten nearly as quickly if the story is poor - is somehow missing the point

I adore the meticulous line work of Fabry and Bolland, and the painted era of 2000ad was my golden age, but I basically agree.

The page rates most artists receive no longer justify the level of detail to which we've become accustomed and the cover price of floppy comics deters the new (young) readers those titles need.

Pat Mills shared a great Forbes piece that pointed out more than half of US comic sales are in book stores or downloads and only 10% of those are Big Two cape titles.

Teens are buying YA original graphic novels and big, fat Manga, and very young kids are into stuff like Dog Man, which I'm not sure I can remember even being mentioned in these august halls.

Outside the shrinking bubble of the direct market and publishers determined to colour inside lines Jack Kirby and Alan Moore laid down last century, reasonably priced books of simple drawings by writer/artists* are selling in their millions.

* Similar to the way the music industry has adapted to the new economic reality by pivoting away from bands comprised of 5 or 6 gangly teens with ruinous narcotic dependencies to Ed Sheeran or Calvin Harris alone on stage, playing to arenas

Funt Solo

Dog Man is a seriously important hit for my daughter.  As is Bone, and Yotsuba. The speed at which they're devoured is something to behold, although there's a lot of re-read potential.

(Other good ones are Hilda and the Troll, and El Deafo.)

Frankentime is great because it's compelling: the art tells the story. You could spruce it up and there might be some added joy to observing that end product, but it's telling the story perfectly well as it is.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Colin YNWA

Yep Dog Man is big hit with the Boy child and they are consumned again and again with relish at a rapid rate when they land.

And of course the western worlds biggest selling comic of the year came out very recently. Not got my hands on Asterix and the Chieftians Daughter yet so not reviewed yet but will do soon. There's a booming market out there.