Main Menu

Website - what are the rules?

Started by Si Logan, 11 September, 2005, 02:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Si Logan

Hello.

As there are a few people around these parts with their own websites, I wonder if you would be able to help me out with a question (also, if any involved parties are reading this.....).

I'm currently trying to teach myself the basics of setting up a website.  The idea is to use it as a gallery of what I have produced in the last year or so (...which is less than I would hope, but time is not plentiful this year....).

My concerns are this - a lot of what I have produced features 2000AD characters.  If I put these pieces on my website am I treading on any toes, breaking any copyright laws etc?

To those of you who scripted some of the strips I produced - I shall be writing to you individually to ask for your permission to feature your work.

Thanks.

Noisybast

AFAIK, you'll be OK, as long as you're not making money from it. Just make it clear that it's fan art, and not scans from the prog. I'd also slap some small print at the bottom of each page, stating that Rebellion hold the copyright to the characters.

Your best bet would be to send Rebellion an email outlining what you intend to do. They're usually very reasonable about this kind of thing, and I can't see them objecting.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Buddy

SIP

Thanks for the help - I shall contact Rebellion asap.

Simon Penter (formerly Si Logan....)

Ps. This is my new username - its not my new name of course, it's been Simon Penter for 32 years (and 7 months).

Bolt-01

Si, good luck with this. You deserve a good showcase for your work. Quality speaks volumes.

Bolt-01

SIP

Thanks for the vote of confidence on my artwork Dave (...which I have been a bit down on this week).

I think I might need the luck with regards to setting up the site though. HTML doesn't seem THAT bad....but it's still early days. I'll get there in the end.

I'm enjoying doing the easy part at the moment and designing banners etc!

Quirkafleeg

Wot everyone else said... linking back to this site wont do you any harm either. Give us an email if you want any help with html etc

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

SIP

Thanks for the offer of help with HTML Gary.  Its likely I may need it at some point!

Noisybast

Wake

If your website is clearly not for profit then I don't think there is any need to email Rebellion about it. Please just include a copyright statement - such as Judge Dredd and 2000 AD copyright Rebellion A/S - and a link to this website.

Scans from progs are also normally allowed. The rule of thumb is that no more than 20-25% of any given episode should appear on the site.

Cheers,

Wake

Noisybast

"Scans from progs are also normally allowed. "

Well, yeah. I probably phrased that badly. I meant scans of entire stories. I have a few scans of individual panels and the odd Star Scan on http://www.strontiumdog.com">my long-neglected site.

SIP

Thats a relief then - if I couldn't put up the tooth related strips/pictures, the site would only have two strips on it!