Main Menu

A Shared Universe Project

Started by Pauul, 13 July, 2011, 10:48:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Pauul on 14 July, 2011, 11:36:18 AM
On the latter score, I've trained as a screenwriter as an undergraduate and postgraduate which gives me training in how to write scripts and how to edit them. I've helped peers bring their scripts up to a professional quality before and I beleive I can do the same here.

Yes, yes, I know you are...accomplished...at this and that, as you've mentioned before time and again. But have you launched a magazine before? And, my friend, no one needs degrees to write. Knowledge in X's and O's very rarely make a good writer. A good teacher, sure, so I suppose your boast about "bringing up scripts to a professional level" may be truthful.

Pauul

The degrees themselves are fairly useless, but I'd argue that learning from someone who has more experiance than you, is always worthwhile.

I have been taught skills to do with formatting and script editing which would be useful here.

In the past, I've helped friends on their projects by giving them useful feedback.

On one of the previous threads, it was asked that someone take charge to give this project some direction and when no one else stepped forward, I volunteered.

And doubtlessly, there will come a time when this project reaches a point where it will need to be taken to someone with more experiance than I have but first things need to be developed to that point and I will do all that I can to help.

Christov

Restraining myself from the gruesome and the sweary is a tremendous task, but I might give it a go.

Richmond Clements

QuoteI take it you mean an editor who has worked professionally within the comic book industry? Rather than someone with the ability and training to edit scripts?

I'd suggest he means an editor with no emotional attachment to any of the characters and who is not a friend of you or any of the other contributors. In other words- one who will tell you when something is not working and be able to offer help with finding a solution.

blackmocco

Quote from: Pauul on 14 July, 2011, 12:34:05 PM
The degrees themselves are fairly useless, but I'd argue that learning from someone who has more experiance than you, is always worthwhile.

I have been taught skills to do with formatting and script editing which would be useful here.

In the past, I've helped friends on their projects by giving them useful feedback.

On one of the previous threads, it was asked that someone take charge to give this project some direction and when no one else stepped forward, I volunteered.

And doubtlessly, there will come a time when this project reaches a point where it will need to be taken to someone with more experiance than I have but first things need to be developed to that point and I will do all that I can to help.

That's 'e-x-p-e-r-i-e-n-c-e'. Hate to be that guy but hard to take you seriously when there's glaring spelling mistakes...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Pauul

QuoteThat's 'e-x-p-e-r-i-e-n-c-e'. Hate to be that guy but hard to take you seriously when there's glaring spelling mistakes...

My apologies, I'm dyspraxic and there is a certain overlap with other learning difficulties. I could run every post I make through spell check but falling into that kind of obsessive behaviour really isn't good for me.

Although it does make me very careful when checking through my scripts.

So, yes, I think we have firmly established that I am not a perfect human being. Nor am I a professional editor, who has launched a magazine before. If these facts are of concern to anyone, then you can by all means go elsewhere.

The fact of the matter is, that if someone hadn't stepped in to give this project some direction then it'd now be dead and we wouldn't be having this conversation anyway.

I can only promise to do my best and hope that is good enough.

QuoteI'd suggest he means an editor with no emotional attachment to any of the characters and who is not a friend of you or any of the other contributors. In other words- one who will tell you when something is not working and be able to offer help with finding a solution.

Trust me, being emotionally detached really isn't an issue for me. I am really very able to brutally dismantle a script should it prove necessary. I would happily do so, even if a friend were contributing to this because I know that is the best way to help a script (which in turn, is the best way to help a writer).

If you are referring to my own writing, then I am well aware that I am not the best person to edit my own work which is why I have taken the time to show my script to other people and get feedback.

Now, this is all becoming terribly personal, so could we perhaps turn out attention back to the project?

To those artists looking to contribute, I thank you for expressing your interest and when the scripts have reached the point where I deem they are at a professional level and worthy of your time and talents - I will let you know.

And to writers which have posted, I look forward to hearing what ideas you have.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Pauul on 16 July, 2011, 02:10:02 AM

Now, this is all becoming terribly personal...

Perhaps because you sound like a pretentious ass. Seriously, have a reread of your posts both here and in the Doctor WTF?! thread with that detached eye of yours. As I mentioned to you - in a private PM - there are many writers, editors and artists frequenting this forum who have a great deal of experience and success in comics. Your tone is in turns condescending, insulting - and whiny. As for me, you're such a turn-off that I wouldn't bother with a project that, with a few tweaks, might turn out nicely.

Good luck in any case.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Richmond Clements

QuoteNow, this is all becoming terribly personal, so could we perhaps turn out attention back to the project?

Well, I actually thought that I was trying to help, but never mind. Carry on.

Pauul

QuoteWell, I actually thought that I was trying to help, but never mind. Carry on.

That part of my post wasn't necessarily referring to you, but the general direction the thread was heading in. I was attempting to get things back on topic.

Looks like I did a terrific job, huh?

QuotePerhaps because you sound like a pretentious ass. Seriously, have a reread of your posts both here and in the Doctor WTF?! thread with that detached eye of yours. As I mentioned to you - in a private PM - there are many writers, editors and artists frequenting this forum who have a great deal of experience and success in comics. Your tone is in turns condescending, insulting - and whiny. As for me, you're such a turn-off that I wouldn't bother with a project that, with a few tweaks, might turn out nicely.

You really know very little about me and I do not see how it is at all helpful to insult me. I would suggest you are reading things into what I have written which are simply not there.

My mode of speech is perhaps slightly more formalised than most, that is difficult to deny but as I've already stated - I'm dyspraxic which has a certain overlap with other learning difficulties such as dyslexia and Asperger syndrome. I talk this way not because I'm being condescending, insulting or whiny but simply because it is the way I talk.

Richmond, I thank you for trying to help.

Locusts, if you don't have anything positive or helpful to say then please say nothing at all.

Proudhuff, nice kittens.

locustsofdeath!

I stand by my comments, and your latest post does very little to change my mind.

You say "formalised" I say "wooden"  :-\.

Edit: I'm going to apologize here real quick - not to Pauul, but to other members of the forum. I've worked with, been friends with and met for drinks with a good many of you, and I've been around this forum for a good while without ever having a go at someone or highjacking a thread in a negative way. But there's something about Pauul's pretentious "know-it-allness" that just gets under my skin, from his comments about submitting an "epic rewrite of the Doctor Who mythos" to his "I type more fomalised than most". I should keep my laughs and my comments to myself, and I'll do my best going forward. Those involved with this project, good luck. Really...good luck. To you most of all, Pauul.

Pauul

Okay, given that some people on here think that I'm unfit to help organise the project (about half the posts on here are about that alone) and now that the atmosphere on here is so toxic that I doubt anything good can come out of this - I'd suggest a mod close the thread.

I really don't think there's any hope of getting this discussion back on track and no potential contributors coming onto the thread are going to want to be involved after reading this mess.

However, the thread on Millarworld is much more positive, so if anyone still wants to be involved then I suggest you head over there.