Main Menu

Printing a comic

Started by SIP, 29 May, 2016, 03:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIP

Howdy folks,

When I finish off the art on a few more pages I want to have a 32 page comic professionally printed. Wondered if anyone out there had some solid advice on the best sites to use to print a comic?

Cheers!
Simon.

Greg M.

Me 'n' David Broughton used UK Comics Creative Limited to print our comic, Martillo, a few years back - David was the one who had most of the dealings with them, but by all accounts they were great, and the finished product looks slick and professional.

Banners

I run a design and print company. Happy to quote if you let me have spec and qty. Cheers.

Jim_Campbell

I'll do production & typesetting for UK small press if needed. Happy to help take anyone's book to print if I can.*

Cheers

Jim

*I've done this stuff for everyone from small press to Image.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Banners on 29 May, 2016, 05:33:23 PM
I run a design and print company. Happy to quote if you let me have spec and qty. Cheers.

Bookmarking this so I can easily check back after Banners' next moronic client tale! 😉

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 29 May, 2016, 06:04:56 PM
I'll do production & typesetting FREE for UK small press if needed.

Omitted a rather important word from my original post.

Regards

Jim

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Greg M. on 29 May, 2016, 04:08:13 PM
Me 'n' David Broughton used UK Comics Creative Limited to print our comic, Martillo, a few years back - David was the one who had most of the dealings with them, but by all accounts they were great, and the finished product looks slick and professional.
Can't vouch for the quality of the company but can for the quality of the product. Excellent production values.

james newell

Hi SIP, having draw, lettered, designed & formatted & printed, (as well as worked in a printers) myself, Jim Campbell's offer of helping you with this is an amazing offer for the cost of printing, getting a price from the printers is generally only printing and not formatting, dont underestemate the amount of work thet is involved  after you compleet the drawing, to have some one with Jim Campbell's exterance will be invaluable!

I have no connection to Jim, buy the way.

james

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Banners on 29 May, 2016, 05:33:23 PM

I've used him and I was happy.
Lock up your spoons!

SIP

Thanks for the information all, and for the generous offer Jim, much appreciated. I'm still ambling along with the artwork at this point and really just wanted to get a feel for what people were using so I could have a tinker. Thanks for all the advice and guidance. If I could maybe catch up with you Jim at a later date that would be great!

I must be very ignorant on this subject as assumed it would just be a matter of dropping the finished pages into an online template and just selecting print sizes/formats. guess it's not that straight forward!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 31 May, 2016, 01:38:20 PM
I must be very ignorant on this subject as assumed it would just be a matter of dropping the finished pages into an online template and just selecting print sizes/formats. guess it's not that straight forward!

There are systems to allow for such a thing, but it's no substitute for the proper software and someone who knows how to use it. I've done so much pre-press and repro that it's pretty much second nature to me, which is why it's not really a big deal to bash out press-ready PDFs for people. (With the sole caveat of being able to fit it into my schedule!)

Cheers

Jim

SIP

Well Jim, once I've finished the artwork and lettered it up I would be extremely grateful for any help you could offer! Vet kind of you to offer.

Cheers
Simon.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: SIP on 31 May, 2016, 02:06:28 PM
Well Jim, once I've finished the artwork and lettered it up I would be extremely grateful for any help you could offer! Vet kind of you to offer.

Drop me a line when you're ready and we'll get it sorted. :-)

Cheers

Jim