Main Menu

Mark Millar or Kek-W - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 4

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 June, 2021, 06:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Team Classic vs. Team Current
Only work for Tharg to be Considered

Whatever we think of Mark Millar there's no denying he's gone on to become one of Tharg's highest profile alumni so he's doing something right and he learnt how to do that in the pages of 2000ad. Kek-W can be rewritten off as a take-over writer - a trend he kicked off taking over from Mark Millar in fact on Canon Fodder BUT he's clearly so much more than that and has become one of Tharg's mainstays in recent years.

Time for you to decide your favourite as the droids square up to the tee...

Mark Millar - more info

OR

Kek-W - more info

Remember for this tourney you have 5 votes to distribute as you please between these two artists, whole numbers only. So you can vote 5 - 0; 4 - 1; or 3 - 2; either way depending on how much more you like one artist's work over the other.

If you can't be doing with that just name your favourite - remember bold tags, or other ways of highlighting always appreciated - and I'll give them 3 votes and nowt to the other droid.

Three day votes, so this one ends morning of Thursday 24th June

Remember we only consider work for Tharg in these Tourneys

What the heck is all this about - well we have a thread for that

How does this voting work? Look here

I don't understand how this works, what are the rules of the Solhiem Cup - yep got ya covered there too

Anything else just ask and I'll make something up. Most importantly, have fun!

broodblik

This is easy since nothing Millar did for the prog is worthwhile. I do like alot of his stuff outside the prog but that does not count.

Kek-W 5: Millar 0 (if I could I might even given Millar -5)
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: broodblik on 24 June, 2021, 07:14:34 AM
This is easy since nothing Millar did for the prog is worthwhile. I do like alot of his stuff outside the prog but that does not count.

Kek-W 5: Millar 0 (if I could I might even given Millar -5)

I liked Silo, and, though I'm going to get crucified for it, Big Dave

Kek-W 4, Millar 1
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

BPP

If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

Nothing by Millar sticks in my head as memorable, and I love what Kek is doing with Deadworld.

Mark Millar 0, Kek-W 5.

broodblik

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 June, 2021, 08:11:02 AM

I forgot about Silo that was not bad at all but not enough to change my mind. Big Dave was the reason for me to stop reading the prog.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: BPP on 24 June, 2021, 08:12:32 AM
Yet we had Pat Mills v Alan grant? Ffs lad.

Hey don't go blamin' me the draws the draw I'm just thew herald of fate, the hailer of happenstance, the hick who clicks*

*The on screen button that starts the spinny name picking process

rogue69

Magnetica

JayzusB.Christ

I've just remembered - I thought Kek-W was Mark Millar for a while.  As in his new pen-name.  Not sure what gave me that idea, but it was cemented when Kek did the sequel to Canon Fodder.  Sorry, Kek.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

AlexF

Things I like by Mark Millar: Canon Fodder, Maniac 5, a handful of one-off Dredds, parts of Janus, Psi Division. (possibly the parts written by Morrison, hard to say).
I'd put all of these in the same bracket as the worst things Kek-W has done, e.g. Kid Cyborg, Canon Fodder II

By the time you get to Angel Zero, The Order, Deadworld...

It's an easy Kek-W:5, Mark Millar:0.

I will say both writers have had quite the lift provided by working with some serious art talent.

milstar

I only read from Millar Inferno, which was dreadful, but I generally love him, so i may be a little biased for giving him 1 point. Kek gets 4.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Tomwe

paddykafka

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 24 June, 2021, 08:11:02 AM

This is me in the line for crucifixion also - 2nd one in, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lN4TSslz-0

Not only do I like Big Dave, but I also enjoyed both Purgatory and Inferno as well, in addition to Canon Fodder and Janus: Psi Division.

Mark Millar (4) vs Kek-W (1)

IndigoPrime

Kek-W has written some crap for the Prog in the past, the nadir of which must be The Grudge Father (although I don't recall if his series was any better than Millar's). Sometimes, his writing is incomprehensible. And I'm a bit irked by his mining old properties to shove in his stories, because it doesn't always work well. But. Fall of Deadworld varies between readable and masterful. I'm sure The Order will make sense and be pretty great when I read the entire thing. Rose O'Rion deserves another crack. His Indigo Prime is mostly very good.

Millar: I'm looking through Barney and seeing if there's anything of his that's worth a damn to me. Long Distance Calls is creepy, succinct and excellent. So that's one. And, er, well. Now, I might have been tempted to give Millar a point for that single one-off, but given the rampant misogyny and homophobia liberally sprinkled around his work elsewhere in the Prog, that's just not going to happen.

Almost by default, then:

Kek-W: 5 // Millar: minus a billion