Main Menu

Meg 436 - Fit for Duty?

Started by broodblik, 15 September, 2021, 06:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Well, the last few months meg felt a little bit underwhelming to say the least but this month with the same line-up we have a very good meg. The one that steal the show is our friendly neighborhood glow in the dark toy of joy.

Dredd – This one-shot serve as an epilogue to the Providence storyline. I enjoyed this and it was more back to basics with a straightforward Dredd actioner. Good art as well from Nick Dyer (very much reminds me of Cam). 

Diamond Dogs – The story ends in a very satisfactory way and kept me interest and I am sure there is more to come. The nice thing was that the end reintroduced a character that will play a bigger role in forthcoming series. [spoiler]Armitage makes a nice cameo appearance.[/spoiler]

The Returners – The standout part of this story is the great artwork especially in this episode. Some interesting turn of events as the story re-engaged me.

Angelic – Great storytelling from Rennie and Carter especially the introduction to the alternative Mean Machine.

Devlin – I am going to say it, this was for me the single best Devlin episode ever. Awesome stuff from Kot, dark humor, twisted characters, witty engagements, wonderfully scripted. Do not forget the superb work from Dowling to deliver this masterpiece.  The laugh-out-loud moments made my day.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Cover by Paul Williams and Chris Blythe:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

broodblik

IndigoPrime

A solid issue, on the whole, to my mind. The Dredd worked nicely. Diamond Dogs ends well, even if the cameo character must be about 100 by now. The Returners has a lot going on. Honestly, it's kind of lost me along the way, in terms of what's happening, but I'm going to do a re-read.

Angelic has transformed the Angel Gang into something interesting, rather than basic parody with amazing visual design. I really like what Rennie's doing here, even if it is clearly ret-con-tastic.

But then there's Devlin Waugh. This felt old-school and modern all at once. It was absurd—and knowingly so (with the characters wondering what the hell was going on). It was camp and silly, but with the lead having that plan up his sleeve.

I get why people remain unhappy about John Smith thrills being dished out to all and sundry, and the results have been variable, to say the least. But Kot gets this character. His run has been horrific and funny and interesting and weird and sad and clever and all the things the strip should be. I do hope Tharg can keep him writing for the Meg, especially at this high level.

wedgeski

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 September, 2021, 10:44:20 AM
I get why people remain unhappy about John Smith thrills being dished out to all and sundry, and the results have been variable, to say the least. But Kot gets this character. His run has been horrific and funny and interesting and weird and sad and clever and all the things the strip should be. I do hope Tharg can keep him writing for the Meg, especially at this high level.
Couldn't agree more.

Colin YNWA

I really enjoyed the Meg this month - as has been mentioned if last months was a little flat, this months bounced a treat.

Dredd was a familar tale of a Judge - at whatever stage of their career, being tested by Dredd. The character work on Francisco was great however and Nick Dyer's art is always a joy. I enjoyed this.

Diamond Dogs needs a re-read

The Returners also needs a re-read but damn that's a great episode on its own merits even if you ain't following you get the viseral thrill of this one on it own. Fantastic.

As is Angelic just a great episode, full of hard gritty anger and Mad Max thrills. Loved this.

Finally Devlin Waugh
Quote from: broodblik on 15 September, 2021, 06:50:39 AM
Devlin – I am going to say it, this was for me the single best Devlin episode ever.

Now I don't know I'd go that far BUT GOOD GOD DAMN it won't be far off.

QuoteAwesome stuff from Kot, dark humor, twisted characters, witty engagements, wonderfully scripted. Do not forget the superb work from Dowling to deliver this masterpiece.  The laugh-out-loud moments made my day

Because it is all this. Just wonderful stuff.

Colin YNWA

Also meant to add decent text piece. The Encyclopedia is what it is and all on all this was a lovely package.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 September, 2021, 10:44:20 AM

Leaving aside my obvious bias for Lawless (not because I've been fortunate enough to work on the strip, but because I've loved Westerns since I was a small child), I'm slightly baffled by the notion from some quarters that Lawless has become the make-or-break inclusion in any issue of the Meg. I bloody love Lawless, but the Kot/Dowling Waugh is also, for me, good enough to justify buying the Meg on its own.

Everything IP says above is spot on.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Sean SD

My Top 3 for Meg 436

1st - Devlin Waugh - Everything's going a bit crazy in this ep. but the title character seems as cool as ever given his predicament. Across the storytelling and the art, top thrill this week

2nd - Angelic - Thar's some fight in the ole Angel. Dare say he's seen some scraps in his day. Lee Carter's art and colours top notch.

3rd - The Returners - Going for this thrill in 3rd place this week due to the amazing art by Assirelli and colours by De La Cruz. Not the easiest thrill to get into usually but this episode was great.

hippynumber1

Did everyone get their print this month?