Main Menu

Prog 2125 - Brave New World?

Started by Richard, 31 March, 2019, 12:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Andy Lambert on 04 April, 2019, 11:40:41 PM
When is Thistlebone starting?
Every time a strip comes to an end lately, I keep thinking "This is it", but it fails to materialise...

Accordingly to the latest solicitation it is in June: https://2000ad.com/post/4904
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Andy Lambert

norton canes

Caught up with the rest of the prog now. Don't know what Tharg's been putting in Guy Adams' synthi-caf (extra caf, I guess) but Max Normal really takes off with a brilliantly comic six pages, making for an entertaining double-whammy with S-Geeks. And Kingmaker serves up an excellent one-shot where... hang on! That's not 'Doctor Ravna'! That's patently Mavic Chen, Guardian of the Solar System, from the 1965/66 epic 12-part Doctor Who 'The Daleks' Master Plan'! Right down to actor Kevin Stoney's contemptuous sneer! Swipe... or homage..?!

wedgeski

Dead impressed with this prog. I massively loved Grey Area's finale. Dredd capped Unearthed with a glorious last couple of panels, even though I didn't get on with the confusingly mixed tone of the strip as a whole.

gameluvah

This may not be the place to ask but I have read the two collections of Scarlet Traces. Am I caught up or do I need to buy some digital progs before next week?

broodblik

@ gameluvah, if you bought the two collections then you are up to date
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

gameluvah

Quote from: broodblik on 05 April, 2019, 12:47:59 PM
@ gameluvah, if you bought the two collections then you are up to date

Thank you for letting me know!

DrJomster

I'd missed that about Scarlet Traces. Excellent news! Re-reading my gorgeous digital copies of Book 1 & 2 at pace! And they are well and truly gorgeous books.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Colin YNWA

A week away means I'm rolling in late. And with Prog 2125 I did a rare thing and skipped ahead instead of reading in order as I wanted to get to Grey Area straight away to read the series finale and it was brilliant ... but was it an absolute finale? Nerve Centre suggests not with Tharg saying '..this series finale'. What's brilliant about the ending as well as its works either way. Its works well if that's it - by George I don't think I've ever been so excited to see one have their head blown off - if Grey Area comes back and I'd happily have it back - it sets up new opportunity. I suspect given that Dabnett and Harrison have 'The Out' coming we might not see it for a bit or ever OR we get a another change in artist OR 'The Out' is a continuation in the same universe OR.... well with a writer with the talent of Dabnett who knows.

Whatever Grey Areas has once again been fantastic and the fact that there are so many possiblities for the future is just so classically 2000ad...

.... oh yeah the rest of the Prog. Well that to makes a statement in what's so great about 2000ad. We get a brilliant conclusion to the two part Dredd, both compelling and comedic with a stunning final page. Kingmaker gives us genre mash in classic 2000ad style as we get introduced so brilliantly to our villians. I might not particularly like Survival Geeks and it certainly adds something different and fun... if you like that kinda thing, I find it a bit easy and twee. Then we get a classic concept wonderfully revivalised with the magnificent Max Normal story somehow dark and brooding, reflecting on age which comes to us all, while being light and frothy like Max himself. Great stuff.

So while the end of Grey Area might steal the show, its the rest that reminds us quite what a thrilling varied, beautiful show it is.

Sinx

I really enjoy Survival Geeks, definitely made me chuckle more than once. Neil Googe's art is great and perfectly suited to the story.

TordelBack

Quote from: Sinx on 07 April, 2019, 09:41:11 PM
I really enjoy Survival Geeks, definitely made me chuckle more than once. Neil Googe's art is great and perfectly suited to the story.

With the greatest respect to Beeby and Rennie, I think Googe's art IS the story. It's just so much damned fun, so packed with clever visual reference and pure invention, and everyone looks to be having a blast even when they're supposedly in mortal peril.

Without Googe the strip could still be one of the most competent 2000AD comedy series. It's a nicely sustained romp, characters are well-defined and generally likeable, plots never get bogged down, things move along, there are good gags most weeks: but for all that, in different hands it could so easily be just a 2000AD riff on Big Bang Theory (-shudder-).

For my money the writers' true genius here (and it's no small thing) is in giving Googe a continuous procession of great settings and setups to draw. And by Grud does he deliver. His characters emote, his backgrounds convince, his details amuse: every panel is colour and energy and humour.

Like all good strips it's the product of a successful partnership between writers, artist and letterer, but I've no doubt that it's Googe's art that makes Survival Geeks the ongoing joy it is.  I take my hat off to all involved.

JayzusB.Christ

He truly is excellent, the Googe monster.  And yeah, great script as well - truly the perfect mix of writer(s) and artist.

Loved how the kind of throwaway, comic Dredd ended on a dark and poignant note.

Haven't read the other stories yet.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sintec

The ending of Grey Area has left me hoping for an extension to the Ultimate Collection because I'd love to see the rest of this collected in a nice hardback (or 2) on my bookshelf.

DrJomster

Quote from: DrJomster on 05 April, 2019, 11:07:01 PM
I'd missed that about Scarlet Traces. Excellent news! Re-reading my gorgeous digital copies of Book 1 & 2 at pace! And they are well and truly gorgeous books.

When I said "at pace", I actually meant at normal speed... which for me is a bit slowly!

Having said that, i've now re-read vol 1 and my word, it is gorgeous! The art and colouring are stunning, the story pitched brilliantly and the lettering of high quality. Seriously, what's not to love.

I picked these up in a recent House of Tharg sale, but to be honest, these would have been a bargain at normal prices.

Roll on volume 2, then I'll get back to the prog.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

BPP

Just getting round to this. Those last 3 / 4 Dredd pages are magnificent.

The last two panels avoiding the 'quip' ending even more so.

Outstanding.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd