Main Menu

Prog 2117 - Hotzone!

Started by A.Cow, 01 February, 2019, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

That stuff is amazing. I think he should get another try. I like what he was trying to do with that cover.

In the pictures where he's aimed for realism, his style resembles Arthur Ranson's.

73north

For me , the Prog Cover was good - and it does the job intended -
its makes you aware that my favourite strip ( apart from Strontium Dog ) is back , Jaegir

For my money a terrific prog, with Skip Tracer doing okay , not the highlight of the Prog
but still readable , Brink , as ever , just wonderful , the 3Rillers not too bad and
Dredd was good - with more to come , in the next Prog ... Colin Macneil's artwork was good .

- however , the total thrill power overload that is Jaegir continues with yet more
great art-work and nice story telling -
I really enjoyed reading this last night , and the new series which has just started in 2000ad -
can only get better !

ZenArcade

Gotta say, Jaegir and Dead world have been consistent favourites of mine as well. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Southstreeter

Quote from: 73north on 03 February, 2019, 03:38:35 PM
For me , the Prog Cover was good - and it does the job intended -
its makes you aware that my favourite strip ( apart from Strontium Dog ) is back , Jaegir

For me it doesn't do that job at all well. I didn't find the Nort logo at all obvious, just a blur of colours. And using red on black for the word Jaegar meant that it didn't stand out for me. I'm a long time subber, so I'm buying it anyway, but if I were a casual reader and a Jaegar fan I'd be in danger of not noticing this on the rack.

Southstreeter

wedgeski

Wowsers. Dredd and Brink wonderful, Jaegir getting off to a great start, and new Grey Area around the corner. These are epic times for the Prog.

broodblik

This was a very good prog loved everything in it especially Jaegir.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

I, Cosh

Tough crowd. Cover of the Year material for me.
We never really die.

norton canes

Yeah, I'd say that on balance the cover works really well. OK the illustration within the insignia is a little nondescript but the design and colouring are really eye-catching - I love the black/red/yellow palette and the incoming missiles make the whole thing look like a big naval mine. From a distance.

Anyway even up against the strongest of competition the star of the prog is once again Dredd - in fact I'd go so far as to say this installment is one of the most perfectly scripted six pages of comics storytelling I've ever read. It absolutely sings, from the exchange between Dredd and Logan, then Dredd and Harvey, to the painfully funny page of supermarket jokes and the masterful reveal, and the poignant denouement with the brilliantly conceived device of Dredd simply show more compassion than the newly empathic robots. Masterful stuff.

I said the competition was strong, and Jaegir blasts back with, well, another masterclass, this time in how to open a new chapter in a war strip. If Duncan Jones' forthcoming Rogue Trooper movie captures an ounce of this tension and excitement then it'll be a great watch. In fact if he's after pointers on what kind of tone to go for, he should be reading this rather than the original Rogue stories. Brink slips effortlessly back into dialogue-heavy mode without losing a scintilla of interest (the 'weird life' concept is great, looking forward to seeing how that develops) and how about this, even Skip Tracer pulls one of its unfortunately too infrequent killer episodes out the bag - I liked the little bit of misdirection with the bodyguards. And the 3hriller concludes with a satisfyingly grisly twist, although overall it's been a bit erratic.

All in all, a well above-average prog.

Theblazeuk

Anyone enlighten me on what Dredd is referring to with 'Look at Guatemala'?

Arkady

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 February, 2019, 06:04:12 PM

I wondered about that. Didn't jog any memories.

JamesC

I don't like that cover at all - very fuggly.

Dredd was fantastic - I'm really enjoying this story. Script, art - everything is just top notch.

Skip Tracer - Just another uninspired episode. The art is quite nice though.

3riller - This one didn't grab me.

Brink - Outstanding.

Jaegir - I enjoyed it but there's something missing. I want the main characters to be a bit more developed and distinctive.

Proudhuff

Loving Dredd, I take it the Big W has had some problems at his local store? :lol:

Great to see Jaegir back in the prog and loving The Bonegrinder...

Thriller doesn't need the grief its getting, I enjoyed this, must be one of the few (non Mills) stories that touches on our class system in the modern world.

Brink nicely done continuation after the crescendo last week

The cover could have done with simplification, too busy for my old diodes.
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 February, 2019, 06:04:12 PM

Doesn't ring any bells, its the kind of throw away line that the Big W does and other writers build a world around... all of which I love
DDT did a job on me

Tiplodocus

More good proggage.

DREDD, BRINK, JAEGIR all top drawer stuff. I even liked the cover - caught my eye even in thumbnail.

Much appreciated, Tharg.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!