Main Menu

Prog 2117 - Hotzone!

Started by A.Cow, 01 February, 2019, 05:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Proudhuff on 09 February, 2019, 03:05:56 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 07 February, 2019, 06:04:12 PM
Anyone enlighten me on what Dredd is referring to with 'Look at Guatemala'?

Doesn't ring any bells, its the kind of throw away line that the Big W does and other writers build a world around... all of which I love

I was wondering that too.  But I like it if it's not referring to anything in particular; makes you realise there's a whole rest of a world outside MC1.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 February, 2019, 09:11:47 PM

Doesn't ring any bells, its the kind of throw away line that the Big W does and other writers build a world around... all of which I love

I was wondering that too.  But I like it if it's not referring to anything in particular; makes you realise there's a whole rest of a world outside MC1.

To me it seemed obvious that this was not a specific reference but a throwaway line hinting at a wider world beyond what we see in Prog every week. I'm sure Mike Carroll will be able to get a tedious six-parter out if it in 2027.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Ooh! Saucer of milk for The Cosh.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Molch-R

Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 February, 2019, 12:56:57 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 12 February, 2019, 09:11:47 PM

To me it seemed obvious that this was not a specific reference but a throwaway line hinting at a wider world beyond what we see in Prog every week. I'm sure Mike Carroll will be able to get a tedious six-parter out if it in 2027.

That is quite a mean and misjudged comment, Cosh. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, we do ask that users of our forum treat our creators and their work with the respect they deserve.

Tjm86

Quote from: Molch-R on 13 February, 2019, 06:26:48 PM
Quote from: I, Cosh on 13 February, 2019, 12:56:57 AM
[

That is quite a mean and misjudged comment, Cosh. While everyone is entitled to their opinions, we do ask that users of our forum treat our creators and their work with the respect they deserve.

Fair enough, but at the end of the day Carrol has form here.  Maybe it is worth phrasing it a little more elegantly but the critique is valid.  'Tedious' may perhaps be a poor choice of words but a number of recent Carrol strips share a commonality with Star Trek: Next Generation - an interesting set up that pique's interest, but a ending that fails to satisfy ...

Quite a few Dredd tales of late have fallen into the old 'conspiracy at the heart of justice dept' trope.  It has moved far beyond cliche.  Perhaps there is a case for arguing that readers deserve respect as well?

I, Cosh

Quote from: Molch-R on 13 February, 2019, 06:26:48 PM
Yeah, fair enough.
We never really die.

broodblik

Quote from: Tjm86 on 13 February, 2019, 07:34:21 PM
Quite a few Dredd tales of late have fallen into the old 'conspiracy at the heart of justice dept' trope.  It has moved far beyond cliche.  Perhaps there is a case for arguing that readers deserve respect as well?

I actually like his Dredd stories but he tends to have his stories fixed on certain themes
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Theblazeuk

To balance that out, I bloody love those six-parters and couldn't wait for the next part every week.

Jim_Campbell

Fair enough, but

The "but" rather cancels out the "fair enough", don't you think?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrJomster

Very pleased to see Jaegir back. Awesome art as always. I know I'm not saying anything new but it really does show the strength and depth of the Rogue Trooper world. Long may Jaegir continue in my books.

As for Dredd and Brink, well.. #PraiseBeToTharg

Good variety to the prog and a nice balance between old and new, which is good to see.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

sheridan

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2019, 11:21:50 AM
Fair enough, but

The "but" rather cancels out the "fair enough", don't you think?

The old hermeneutic rule - nothing someone says before the word 'but' really counts.

Tiplodocus

Reg singing "If I was a sculptor... BUT then again, no..."
loses a bit of its meaning.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheridan

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 February, 2019, 07:32:08 AM
Reg singing "If I was a sculptor... BUT then again, no..."
loses a bit of its meaning.

Had to look that up!

The following line would be more positive though:
"I know it's not much, but it's the best I can do."
becomes:
"It's the best I can do."

Dandontdare

If preceded by "I'm not being funny, but..." then it's usually true (the following sentence is rarely amusing) but if preceded by  "I'm not being racist, but..." then  it's usually false (the next sentence is invariably racist)

wedgeski

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 February, 2019, 03:00:44 PM
If preceded by "I'm not being funny, but..." then it's usually true (the following sentence is rarely amusing) but if preceded by  "I'm not being racist, but..." then  it's usually false (the next sentence is invariably racist)
The internet would prefer to eradicate the word "but", it seems. Too nuanced.