Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

...idiots keep repeating things that aren't true so that other idiots pick up on it and believe it. A guy on Channel 4 just repeated the nonsense that the MoD paid £22 for a lightbulb you can buy at the supermarket for 65p (disproved a week ago) and was allowed to get away with it unchallenged.
STRIKE !!!

COMMANDO FORCES

I know, you can buy them cheaper than that  ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 07 March, 2011, 08:49:29 PM
...idiots keep repeating things that aren't true so that other idiots pick up on it and believe it.

Isn't that the very foundation of western democracy?

SmallBlueThing

Because i got the beginnings of a massive migraine while playing frisbee this morning, resulting in me having to take an extended vacation in a very dark and quiet room for a few hours before i felt well enough to go to work. Thankfully, i caught it in time to stop it developing into the kind of pain that i get twice a year or so, and which results in me wanting to put a gun to my head.
However now im at work, and my head is hot and pounding, my eyes are blurry, and i feel sick as a dog. Worse, i cant take any time off, as i have a very important meeting with social services coming up, and i need to produce two detailed person-centred care packages that will stand up to close scrutiny.
Shit.

SBT

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

COMMANDO FORCES

Absolute crap night at work as I nearly lost the sight in my left eye!

The amount of times I have had to complain that a previous driver has not defected something before he clocks off and so I have had to do it at the start of my shift is unbelievable. Well last night it all came to a head.
I went down to to do my vehicle checks and found that the unit had no fuel, no adblue and no cleaning kit. He had also been running about with a white A4 paper number plate (3 points on your licence for that one). This was the least of my worries!

I went to connect the air lines to a trailer and the wanker had left the unit with a damaged red airline coupling. As I was bent over the housing, unhooking it from it's stowage plug (keeps the dirt out and keeps the lines tidy) a continuous high powered jet of air hit the left side of my face before I even had a chance to angle it away and move my head. I replaced it back on the plug and unhooked the unit from the trailer and went back upstairs to the office.

I informed them what had happened and said that I would be going all the way with this incident, as I was nearly blinded by some lazy fucker not doing his job. Sat here now it feels as if somebody has punched me and my eyesocket area is bruised!
I defected the vehicle and when the mechanic looked at it he said the automatic cut off valve piece was missing from inside the socket. This proves that the previous driver placed it on there while air was pissing out of it as he didn't want to waste time defecting the bloody thing.

Anyway, all the reports are in and the socket is in the evidence bag waiting for the next stage of the procedure. I am so bloody annoyed about this as I kept telling them about these lazy gits, well let's see how they enjoy what's coming their way now!

They didn't tell me who the previous driver was, as they know what I'm like but it's obvious I'm going to find out due to the investigation, so they might as well have told me.

TordelBack

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 13 March, 2011, 07:13:13 AM

Anyway, all the reports are in and the socket is in the evidence bag waiting for the next stage of the procedure. I am so bloody annoyed about this as I kept telling them about these lazy gits, well let's see how they enjoy what's coming their way now!

Over the years I've felt CF is sometimes a bit tough on people, asking perhaps more than most of the behaviour of those around him, and being somewhat unforgiving.  Lately however I have the nagging feeling that if more people adopted his attitude, at least when they have the trousers to back it up, the world might be a better place.  They warned me this would happen with advancing age.

Hope the eye feels better, John.

Kerrin

Yep, hope the eye doesn't give you too much grief John. Take whichever bastard was responsible to the cleaners.

It's very much the case these days (these days, jesus, listen to me...) to look upon a job as something to just turn up for and get through, rather than do to the best of your ability, even if you fucking hate it. Trying, and failing, not to sound like a reactionary old fart, there is fuck all professional pride in a lot of workplaces nowadays.

Noisybast

I could go on at length about my issues with lazy disincentivised workmates and the managers that encourage that way of working, but I won't. Hope the eye's feeling better soon, John.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

House of Usher

Quote from: TordelBack on 13 March, 2011, 09:19:25 AM
I have the nagging feeling that if more people adopted his attitude, at least when they have the trousers to back it up, the world might be a better place.

The trouble is, few people dare to make waves in the workplace before they've been 12 months in the job and gained full employment rights. Employers reserve the right to dismiss any employee in the first twelve months without giving a reason, which pretty much allows them to jerk you around as long as what they're doing doesn't amount to bullying or discrimination.

Quote from: Kerrin on 13 March, 2011, 10:20:47 AM
there is fuck all professional pride in a lot of workplaces nowadays.

I quite agree. I haven't seen any in the 10 workplaces at which I've been employed or have had more than fleeting dealings with in the past 10 years. What I have seen is people who got into senior positions when conditions of employment, job security and long term prospects were much better pulling up the ladder after them and keeping out fresh talent who might actual be capable of doing the job better than them if they were given half a chance.

This is especially true of academia, where old bastards hog their professorial chairs and final salary pensions, devoting themselves and others to their own pet research projects and neglecting teaching, which they would rather delegate to doctoral researchers and casualized teaching-only (i.e. low prestige) lecturing staff.
STRIKE !!!

SmallBlueThing

CF, that's shit. Hope you a) retain the sight in your eye, b) kick a drokkload of stomm at work and give the spugger who's responsible a damn good bum-pounding!

And re the workplace ethics thing- you lot should try Social Care. Try explaining to some just-out-of-college eighteen year old who failed their exams that this isn't just sitting on your arse all day long, storing up stories about how mental some people are. Or that yes, they DO have to be in work at 7am the next morning, despite getting off at 10pm and saying "great, still got loads of time for the pub". And no, I won't believe you when you phone in sick at 6.57am, claiming to have been contracted D&V during the night.

And, while on the subject, try explaining to your contemporaries (who were at university with you), that you don't just clean up shit all day and wipe bums.

SBT

johnnystress

My contract is up this week

I asked about getting further work and my advice was to pitch for contracts as a sole trader and hire Indian designers to do the work for me

:o

so, dole next week

the replacement mini will have to wait
:(

SuperSurfer

Hope the eye is ok CF. Fed up of lazy ****kers that go about their business without thinking for a second how they affect others. Hope someone gets their comeuppance.

That's crap, Johnny. Work dried up for me too for the time being. Got some poorly paid bits and pieces to do from home in the meantime, get a portfolio of work out, catch up with invoices, timesheets etc (boring).

Had a good recent stint of work with some long days so will help the finances. When I was full-time at the same place I would often stay late to hold the fort when all the freelancers had clocked off. Then when I was freelancing there recently the full-timers would scarper and I would be there holding the fort. Doesn't bother me really as the meter was ticking so they were doing me a favour.

On work ethics, I do like the Modern Toss Work cartoons.

TordelBack

Quote from: johnnystress on 23 March, 2011, 02:57:23 PM
I asked about getting further work and my advice was to pitch for contracts as a sole trader and hire Indian designers to do the work for me

That is full-on arse.  If I had a euro for every time I've heard that story from contract workers in the last two years... well, I'd have enough for the Meg at least,