Main Menu

Can anyone recommend a good Stylus for Procreate on Ipad?

Started by Hawkmumbler, 21 August, 2016, 05:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Over the last few months i've been practicing coloring in both Manga Studio 4 on my PC and Procreate on my Ipad Air. Though i'm fairly confident with where my progress with the Bamboo and MS4 is going, i'm not getting my head around using my fingers for Procreate and would like to invest in a stylus for the Ipad Air, can anyone recommend a (relatively inexpensive but i'm not privy to the price of quality) stylus that NOT the apple pencil! I know it's supposed to be good but lordy i'm not spending THAT much!

Jim_Campbell

The Apple Pencil only works with the iPad Pro. The screen tech is designed differently in the Pros to enable the Pencil. This is unfortunate (for you, I'm afraid) because the Pencil is best-in-class by a frickin' mile for iPad drawing tools. To the best of my knowledge, all the other styluses are basically a kludge. They work by registering to the screen the same as a finger and then trying to guess the exact tip position you intended. They also don't have true pressure sensitivity -- they have squishy tips and try to translate increased surface area contact into a pressure value.

All of which is not great news... sorry! That said, the late, great Stephen Prestwood was drawing exclusively on his iPad for at least the last couple of years of his output, so it's clearly possible to get decent quality results without the Pencil...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Heh, just as well then as there not a cat in hells chance of me being able to afford an Ipad Pro and Pencil any time soon. I gues i'll just have to main MS4 and retire procreate because I just can't get my head around it.

pauljholden

Pick up a £3 ipad stylus, in my experience the cheapie ones aren't much different to the expensive ones, until you get to the pencil. You can do some pretty decent things with it (esp on Procreate's new version, where it has some very smart auto select tools)

-pj

Hawkmumbler

Hhhmmm, I'll consider getting a narrow tipped stylus, like this one where I can alternate the rubber tips as I see fit, should be good to at least cut my teeth on.

amines2058

I think that Wacom may do a bluetooth stylus that is fine tipped and pressure sensitive. Will try to google it now.

EDIT: here you go : http://www.johnlewis.com/wacom-bamboo-stylus-fineline-2-for-ipad/p2803243?sku=236256323&s_kwcid=2dx92700012712505989&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CKGBwoSr084CFdOTGQodp6kMhA&gclsrc=ds

mightybren

I've heard good things about the bamboo stylus, but I would take PJ's advice initially. Try something cheap and see how that works first.
Procreate is great but is quite fiddly with a lot of options for customisation, so it may be the app rather than your finger. I moved to Sketches 2 on the iPad Pro (with an Apple Pencil) purely there was less for me to fiddle with (and get lost in) :)

That was my experience anyway. Once I've mastered the basics on Sketches 2 I'm going to graduate to Procreate :)
Overall though I tend to find it's worth mastering a cheap basic option before digging into something more expensive and feature rich.

Structure

Hey!
Since you're on the Ipad Air, FiftyThree has a stylus that works just as good as the Ipad Pro's Pencil from what I've heard:

https://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

best,
Mike

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

sheridan

Bottle Rocket