Main Menu

Prog 1359

Started by Slippery PD, 22 September, 2003, 04:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slippery PD

Latest prog is here and looks like Im the first to review.

Cover - Normally Im not a huge fan of Davis' strip work.  But his covers tend to be good and this is rather top notch.

Dredd - An old style filler Dredd that we all probably grew up loving.  It seems these days that its GRennie who produces these rather than Wagner or Grant, this is great with an expected, unexpected ending.  PJ's art compliments the tale perfectly.  In all honesty Id like him to ge a run on dredd, it seems his art is perfectly fitted to it.

Future Shocks - This was well written, good art but the twist was  a failry standard Shock!

SinDex - Pedestrian, but unoffensive.  It is probably the best thing I can say about them.

FRom Grace - Is turning into a rather good outing by Spurrier.  A father revenge job that the world suffers from, nice.  Great art as usual from Fraser

Leviathan - Fantastic.  Now where did Grace go :) ???

Good prog if I had to give it a score, in the ice cream stakes its Ben and Jerrys Phish Food....... Yummy

Yer Slips

Tu-plang

How is a thread on the latest prog off-topic... ?

Slippery PD

Oooops miss click meant spoiler:)

Leigh S

Gordons Dredd is another top notcher in the same league as his "couch potatoes" - at first a seemingly fairly standard idea for a Dredd story (lucky Cits), but pushed to greatness in it's execution (the unusual nature of their luck) and especially by a lovely spot-on Mega-City twist for the pay-off.  

Top work

Tex Hex

Ahh! Sodomites!* Ive not got my prog and it usually arrives bang on time. Whats worse is that my meg HAS arrived. Has my prog gone AWOL? Has anyone else exprienced this? Please?

*General expletive. Not aimed at anyone. Especially not thise of you who have your progs. Huff.

Leigh S

Not this week, though its happened in the past that Meg has turned up Monday,and prog Tuesday, and vice versa...

prah

Happens to me all the time...

Ruddy postal service...

Capt.Zeep

No postal worries for me,. prog was bang on time.

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

Well what a fine issue of the Galaxy's Greatest this week, all the stories on top form, even a future shock that I actually LIKED which is rarer than Greg F@*?ing Rusedski winning an important tennis match...

I like these one off funny Dredds, this one manages to be quite clever and the art's good too.

The future shock I expected to be standard FS pish but no,  a great little timetwister of a tale which still leaves alternate endings possible....I liked the way the warrior monk was rendered (can't remember the artist and Mrs. Zeep is ensconced, prog in hand, on the couch so I'll not take it off her), reminds me of Flint and Kennedy's VCs...the script was good too...normally these things leave me going "that was shite" but not this time.  Erm.

Sin?Dex, bit of a cop-out there with the H.E.A.P shells instantly felling the huge Samurai-bots...but some good plot intrigue and nice art, yeah I like this tale.

From Grace, wow.  This is a cracking story so far, (the jumbled-up continuity isn't too annoying), it's got me hooked anyway, love the darkness, (as in the darkness of the story, not Zodiac Mindwarp wannabes The Darkness, altough I don't mind them either).  Wonder how far we should take the biblical parrallels - fallen "Angel"  (I know, he's not an angel) exacts a terrible toll on Earth due to grudge against unknown "Father",  "Eden" actually a barbaric Hobbesian State of Nature...Hmmm.  Anyway, I love it.

Leviathan - Again, wow.  Continues to twist and turn like a demented eel in a bath of mushroom tea.  What a payoff for the second-to-last episode?  What now?  This just has to have the great ending it deserves.

All in all a very fine prog.  Lubes all round for those droids,  Green-Bonce!  And a couple of polystyrene cups for yerself, big man.

ZeeeeeeP!

Matt Timson

Cover- excellent.

Dredd- entertaining.  Don't like PJ's helmets (sorry), but do like the lapel badges.

Future Shock- liked it, despite guessing the ending by panel four.

SinDex- not read it properly- will read the whole lot in one sitting- love SD's art though.  Am I the only person who doesn't hate it?

From Grace- you know how hard it is to look at the art and not read the story?!?  Again- want to enjoy it in one sitting.

Leviathan- Pattern forming here- saving it for the big read.  Which truth be told, is why I hardly ever contribute to anything that's on topic!

Is it just me- or are we going through an extraordinarily good patch at the moment?

Cheers.
Pffft...

Quirkafleeg

AAhhhhhh New Sub.... I'm I ready for such luxury...

Spoiler...

Pah Gordon... and you're always going on how useless PSI is ;-) What's next, the return of the birdie?

petemaskreplica

Ah, what a splendid prog.

I like PJ's rendition of the helmets! And his artwork generally fits this kind of Dredd tale wonderfully, beautifully poised between realism and parody. Like Slips said, quality Dredd filler.

Future shock was similarly well done. Not really that big a shock, but well written and with very nice McCarthy/Ewins-esque art.

Sin/Dex: Blimey, I actually quite liked this this week. Lovely art of course, and the story actually has me wondering what'll happen next week. And Abnett seems to have ditched the endless parade of third rate puns, which can only be a good thing.

From Grace is wonderful, I watched Once Upon A Time In America over the weekend, and that comes back to mind as I read this, what with the multiple flashback structure and all. And it has something of the same feeling of loss and waste about it too.

Leviathan: Highlight of a very strong prog. Just when I thought I could see where it was going, it twists around again. I have no idea how this is going to end, and that's why this is so good.

All this and a lovely cover too? doesn't get much better, does it? I didn't even mind too much that there was no Stronty this week, and that's saying something.

Slippery PD

Artist is Rufus Dayglo.  IIRC has homage to Mcmahon Tattooed on his back?  Am I correct or am I remembering someone else through drunken haze.

Yer Slips

Art

Oh yes, thats the one. There ain't no two Rufus Dayglos in the world.

Quirkafleeg

Rufus has given stalwart support to Class of 77 and Dogbreath so it's great to see him in tooth proper

petemaskreplica

more to the point, good to see him producing the goods in tooth proper. that's one of the best drawn Future Shocks I've seen in a while.