Main Menu

The Boarders Awards 2003 - Results

Started by Slippery PD, 02 April, 2004, 05:37:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slippery PD

Well heres the winners, Ive not collated the rest of the results, Ill do that when I get some time at the weekend.  

The Awards:

The Ace Garp award for best Series (non Dredd)
Cabbalistics Inc

The Max Normal award for best Dredd Story:
Sturm and Dang

The Two ton Tony Tubbs award for best Artist:
Dom Reardon

The Rosa Karn award for best Writer:  
John Wagner

The W.R. Logan memorial award for best cover:  

The Murd the oppressor award for best Villain:
Orlok the Assassin. (Judge Dredd)

The Shako award for best Character:
Judge Dredd

Best Message board thread:
monkey in a hat

Best Message Board Icon:
Malchidiel

The "Oh my Grud, not Judge Death again" award for best Reprint:
Charlies war.

Best Fanzine:
Solar Wind

Why, Tharg, WHY?:
Synnamon (1362-1370)

The Bad city Blue award for best One off Series:  
Leviathan (1351-1360)

The Halo Jones award for most Improved Droid:
Si Spurrier (Bec & Kawl/ Lobster Random/ From grace/ Future Shock)

The imperfect shock terror twist award:  
Terror Tales The statue garden (1327) Gary Wilkinson Dom Reardon

The Chopper award for best "new" Artist:
Boo Cook (Dead men Walking)

The Abelard Snazz award for best "new" Writer:
Paul Cornell (XTNCT)

longmanshort

Best Message Board Icon:
Malchidiel

Crikey DM, it's a fix!!
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Oddboy

Yay! I'm happy with pretty much all of those.

Prog 1360 looks like this:http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/1360.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.

Trout

I'm particularly pleased to see wins for Dom, Sturm and Dang, Leviathan and Prog 1360, all of which I voted for.

Hooray!

- Trout

Dudley

Unhappy with the results for best new anything - criteria need to be tightened up a bit next year!

Other than that, TAKE A BOW, BOLT-01 AND THE SLIPPERY ONE, for all your hard work and dedication to the cause!

Oh, and someone find a carrier pigeon and let the winners know...

Dudley

Oh, and how on EARTH could anyone seriously think Synnamon was worse than Dead Man Walking?  

Boo Cook art or no Boo Cook art, DMW was the steamingest pile of wank it's ever been my misfortune to read.

Art

Yeah, tahts pretty much the only one of the bunch I'd really question. I can only asusme that the vote was split by peoples hatred for Slaine, Durham Red and DMW and Synammon sneaked through...

Quirkafleeg

I'd like to accept my award on behalf of Dom's artwork

Trout

Gary's is well-deserved, too.

- Trout

VampiraJen

SCANDLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY DIDN'T FROM GRACE WIN BEST ONE OFF!  RECOUNT!  SHINANIGANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Satanist

Aaaaaaaaaargh!!!The Statue Garden!!!
I saw the end of that coming a week before I read it.

Apart from that fair enough
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

DavidXBrunt

Cornell and Cook shouldn't have been eligable for best new anything, really. Out of interest who came second in those categories?

JTurner

Synnamon's creators should have won the most improved Droid award. Why Synnamon was even put up for this 'award' is beyond me, there was far worse stuff around.

Slippery PD

In defence of the awards and this is what happens when we run this.  Many of the awards are prevoted for, see the previous nomination threads for details.

Now I was under the impression that Paul Cornell had done no strip work before?  But the Boo Cook one I agree with and also Synamon.  But Im only norris mcwhirter here.......  Dont blame the messenger, you lot voted for them....

Yer Slips

paulvonscott

Cheers for the votes for Solar Wind chaps, much appreciated.  All the fanzines nominated were good anyway (I buy 'em) so it's all pretty much of a sameness!

Issue 3 is currently being worked on and there is some very funny material being lined up before it goes on sale (hopefull) a bit before Bristol.  We're also hoping to get out a spin off called Sunny for Girls, which I'm still looking for artists for by the way!

Cheers again

Paul

Link: http://www.solarwindcomic.co.uk/" target="_blank">Solar Wind