Main Menu

Prog 2165 - Strange Daze!

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 January, 2020, 12:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Bit of a thread snatch here, but just wanted to say The Paisley boy done it and done good. Would have taken this post in a different direction if it hadn't been a wonderful tribute to the sadly departed Ellie De Ville.

Never read the letters page first, but flicking through the Prog as it landed, saw this name, was curious about what he'd said and then deeply touched.

I'll return soon with a full review I hope...

Eamonn Clarke

D'Israeli cover for the Carroll and Flint Proteus Vex thrill.

And echo your sentiments as the Paisley lad hits 100 with a very moving tribute to Ms De Ville.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

As you were. So okay the Prog couldn't raise to the challenge and be better than last time, but under that brilliant, so horrifically glorious cover we might not have a Prog that's better than last time but to my amazement we have one thats as good.

Dredd - brilliant, so brilliant in fact the only thing worth saying apart from brilliant is the observation that Dan Cornwell probably gives us the best mustache action of any droid ever. He does though doesn't he, his mustaches are to die for ... in fact they are brilliant ... damnit!

Brink - Brilliant so brilliant in fact there's nothing to say except to make the observation that even those folks that say nothing ever happens can't say that this time sorry. Again using the power of wonderfully dialogues conversation Dabnett ably abetted by INJ's almost unequalled acting moves things on an amazing degree. The fact that surely they'll silence the few naysayer is of course brilliant... damnit

Proteus Vex is just large scale brilliant. In fact so brilliant there's not point saying anything else. Except the small observation that I delight in the way Flint and Carroll (famous 70s folk duo surely) move from alien world building to high octance space chases in just 5 breathless pages is just... damnit .... brilliant

Zaucer of Zilk is ... okay, okay lets try something different. I mean of course its brilliant. Both in quality and in colours but after last weeks Strontium Dog set up for the gun draw Hogan and McCarthy spin things in the most superify brillian... oh God Damn.... way...

Feral and Foe has really sunk in during these last two episodes and managed to raise itself to the level of the other thrills in the Prog which is just.... superb. What is even more exciting (and a little worrying) part of that is the introduction of Tank has been the catalyst of that change but Dabnett and Elson seem so confident with that they have they are able to make the brillant - bugger and bollox - move of [spoiler]offing Tank[/spoiler] quite brutally and moving us onto... well whatever wonders we have next.

So there we have it even in the world of five for five Progs this one is a standout. So I might as well give up and just go with the flow as there is of course only one word to describe this weeks Prog and it is naturally DEAD GOOD.

Thank you Tharg, thank you you brilliant Betelgeusian editor you.

Proudhuff

Well done Butt'man, a lovely and touching salute to a true star of the Prog.
What a nice way to reach you century.
DDT did a job on me

Buttonman

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 January, 2020, 04:58:31 PM
Well done Butt'man, a lovely and touching salute to a true star of the Prog.
What a nice way to reach you century.

Sniff! Thanks Tom and Colin and all the other well wishers. As I said in the Letters Thread that one was for Ellie and I'll save the grandstanding for letter 101!

I'm vain enough to think that Tharg knew I was on 99 and saved number 100 for a Letter of the Week and a suitable subject. Ellie's passing was a good point of reflection and of what really matters. It's not letters, and Tharg is truly wise.

Southstreeter

No subs prog by Wednesday is very unusual. Judging by the tumbleweed on this thread it's not just me!

DrJomster

Another 5/5 prog. We're on a roll, good people, good times!

Can I just add that the Cornwell droid's art is really coming along nicely. Thanks.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

norton canes

Firstly, and eclipsing everything, it was so touching that this prog's editorial dropped out of the Tharg persona to pay tribute to Ellie deVille. I watched Michael Palin yesterday talking about the passing of his friend Terry Jones which also brought into focus how terrible it is when we lose someone who's not just a long-term colleague but a dear friend. This Nerve Centre entry was equally heartfelt and poignant.

-----

We've certainly been spoiled for great covers so far this decade. A gloriously gory effort from the Culbard droid here, even though he has taken a bit of a liberty with Midnight's physiognomy and mode of ingestion. I wonder if he had this week's prog for reference?

'Kill Bloopy' continues to hit the spot (the 'empty room' gag being an especial treat) while Brink takes the unexpected step of casting Angry Kid as an antagonist. Feral & Foe remains by far the best of the three new strips, with its typically Abnettian (Abnettesque?) mixture of well-planned storyline, engaging dialogue, sly gags and most importantly, proper characterisation of all the protagonists. The latter is what's sadly lacking, so far, in Proteus Vex, which otherwise has plenty of potential. Although - hang on... a title character who hunts fugitives and lives in a large cube? Reminds me of something, but I can't quote put my finger on what. Anyway, finally Zaucer Of Zilk, which falls, I'm afraid, squarely into the 'not for me' category, though I see others are enjoying it. 

norton canes

Oh yeah, random thought: you know what I miss about the prog, now that every strip is geared up to an eventual trade paperback release? Big titles. Proper big page-spanning titles. Think Meltdown Man or Nemesis The Warlock or... Return To Armageddon or, any 80's strip really. These days the titles are just squeezed into any available corner on the first page of each installment. I mean look at this, from Skizz:

Wonderful.

Sorry, random thought over.

TordelBack

It's a good point, Norton.

I though that was an excellent prog - only Proteus Rex hasn't quite clicked for yet, powerful designs and widescreen events not quite meshing with the relative cipher at the centre of the action. Give it time.

Dredd is pitch-perfect, a proper MC-1 Craze story of the old school, with added Wrexler & Patsy action. Maybe it could be a bit more condensed, but that would deny us several pages of glorious Cornwell and Boswell art, and no-one wants that.

Brink is everything Brink can be. What a strip.

I'm enjoying Feral & Foe a lot, the sheer callousness of the pair set brilliantly against their troubled introspection, but I've still no idea where it's heading.

Zaucer has settled back into its former role as zestily refreshing sorbet between heavy thrill-based courses, and that's fine.  Still tending a bit more Swifty's Return than Sooner or Later, but never less than entertaining.

broodblik

Another fiver prog.

The Dredd story feels like it has intensified this episode and builds up to a one-on-one confrontation finale

Brink is starting to tie-up loose-ends. At last we    get some more information on the Mercury Incident mentioned in previous books. Cannot wait for the next episode just great stuff.

I see some complains about Proteus Vex main protagonists. I like the way the story is being told; with use being fed a steady backstory on everything except on the main protagonists. Why should the main protagonist's backstory being spoon fed to us in the first episode? Let us be patience and let the story unfold.

The Zaucer had me fooled at the end of last episode where I just thinking the wand-fight would be over in a zap and flash by the second panel. McCarthy continues to amaze us with his dazzling art.

Feral & Foe is evolving in another great story by Abnett. I like the way that Tank was played and dismissed from service.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: broodblik on 23 January, 2020, 01:32:26 PM
I see some complains about Proteus Vex main protagonists. I like the way the story is being told; with use being fed a steady backstory on everything except on the main protagonists. Why should the main protagonist's backstory being spoon fed to us in the first episode? Let us be patience and let the story unfold.

It's not just a question of backstory, though - he's just a bit of a charisma vacuum generally.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Yeah, that's it for me too. I am uncomfortably reminded of wozisname from Skip Tracer (Blake?), especially when Midnite referred to him as a famous tracker, and I thought "oh that's what he is!".

But look, I trust Carroll and Flint, I'm more than happy for them to tell the story in their own way, and come to an appreciation of Proteus Rex himself in good time. It's certainly not a boring strip so far!

Bolt-01

and also bear in mind that this far into the first Shakara story, all our hero had said was his name and leave a trail of wanton destruction in his wake.

Reckon that Mike and Henry have earned the full first story to win us over.

And do you know - I wouldn't mind seeing Skip Tracer back down the line either.