Main Menu

Synammon

Started by Dudley, 16 October, 2003, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

Synammon - the device.  After some debate here, I thought I'd take a closer look at the issue of how Synammon plants the device.  Using Iain M Banks as a reference, I get this...

Sequence:
1) Morpulous suggests they, ahem, cough, y'know...
2) Syn gives her combat drone the go-ahead
3) The drone uses a field to tear a hole in Morpulous's actual flesh and deposit the singularity generator in it.  Deduction) The hole is then sealed up with another field that requires a "key" to unlock it.
5) Syn does the whole thing with pretending to escape with the generator, Morpulous gives chase.
6) Having allowed herself to be boarded, Syn gets ready for battle.  The "key" is placed on her hand, hence what looks like a tattoo of Morpulous on her bare skin before she slides the glove on.
7) Syn knocks out guards, opens the field (which is round about the appendix, anal probe fans), retrieves singularity generator, sends Morpulous into deep space.

If I'm right, then those who are writing this strip off before it starts might find it has hidden depths worth considering.  I don't think that it's good to pair up writing with this art as both rely slightly more than average on the reader to examine and work stuff out, but on the whole I've revised my initial impression and will look forward to seeing how the universe of this strip develops.

Slippery PD

Personally, and I was a critic of **ahem**, I rather liked this opening episode.  It wasnt brillaintly innovative, but it was solid and entertaining issue and I like the art.

Yer Slips

Devons Daddy

i like it from the experimental point of view. as i did with FROM GRACE, which offered a differnt style to the norm.
(which i have re read several times and get more form it each time)

one of the writers has a brillant imagination but failed to pull it off properly last time.
so i want to believe with this pair up they will blow us away.
i like to think many of us will be willing to look deeper and try to understand everything that seems to be going on.

or i could be wrong and its a rip off of the Matrix / kill bill
kung fu killer babes genre.

dont write this off.i think it will
be a slow burner.

I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Mudcrab

Hmm, I just assumed she'd hidden it in one of his folds of fat :o)

Must pay more attention!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Devons Daddy

they are not folds of fat.!!!!!

they are simply access amounts of water retention.
oh sorry you meant the guy in the story.
ignore me. sorry . just being overally sensitve.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Mr C

Admit it Dudley, she did shove it up his arse!

I rather enjoyed this one. Emma Peel as a culture agent type can't be that bad. Dead Men Walking was alright as well. Can't go judging things by the very first episode, reckon these two might turn out alright.

Dudley

More shocking news after the all the football scandals last week.

Sophie Ellis Bextor has been found dead on the floor of a French soccer star's hotel room.

The police are treating it as murder on Zidane's floor.

Woolly

Must admit, when i heard about the new strips i felt disappointed, but after reading the first parts i am alot more hopeful.

Synnamon is a crap title for a strip, but hey, whats in a name?
First part very interesting, like to see where its going.
Would have preffered a different design to it all though. A sexy, catsuit wearing female protagonist is just....so.....expected! No surprises, nothing new.
Hopefully the characters will stand up, though, and the writing/art is certainly nice!

Harry twenty...sorry...Dead men walking seems interesting, but a bit mis-timed due to Meg reprints.

All in all, not what i'd have asked for from my mighty prog, but interesting enough to give em a chance!!

Ps. would you believe it took me over half an hour to write all this between calls at work!!
How incredibly annoying!

Art

Apparently it really starts rolling around about episode 3.

I've seen some of the artwork for the final few pages and it looks pretty slick, so that'll be worth waiting for.

Oddboy

Actually, I thought she just stole the thing. I'll have to read it again now & pay more attention.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Krustabi

At the moment I detest the strip, it seems to be style over substance and thinks it's cleverer than it actually is. The irritating retro-futurism grates as well.

Quirkafleeg

gosh that's a real turnabout... Art's gone from enermy no. 1 to their no. 1 fan!

Devons Daddy

i reckon its cause one of the writers promised to buy him a pint at sheddcon.
I AM VERY BUSY!

NO 2000ad no life!

Slippery PD

It could be that one of the artists is drawing cosmonaught X, his Past Imperfect.  Of course thats a vicious rumour :D

Yer Slips

Art

Oi! Rumours that I'm now claiming Bison was a misunderstood work of genius  simply because Laurence Campbell is drawing my story are a complete fabrication.

...and anyway, even if I wasn't under an obligation to say nice things about his art I have to say I'm kind of digging this so far. Its got a sort of 60s Jim Steranko SHIELD retro vibe to it with a few Culture-isms thrown in, and I can kind of dig that.

Now if they'd gone more 60s and coloured it in flat colours with a really rough 60s style halftone I'd REALLY be digging it, but I suspect that may be taking things a little too far.