Main Menu

Prog 1385

Started by Mr D, 10 April, 2004, 07:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

Am I the first then?? Or just the first to get to the board?

Thought I wouldn't get to read this for a while cos of Easter and Oxford, but here it is!

Only scanned so far, but here's first thoughts:

Cover - Nice, though I'm not sure about Karyn's hair on it... Oh well, nice pose, and the hair does add a hint of colour at least. Stands out, though the logo is SLIGHTLY obscured. Can live with it though, it's still mostly visible.

Droid Life - Genius. P14 got a Future Shock commisioned..... Woo!

Mr D

Ok, this may contain SOME

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Dredd - Very nice indeed. Violent battle, much damage done (Ocks goes down, several injuries) and the art is absolutely fantastic. It's nice to see KAryn making use of herself in such a destructive way. I was a bit worried she's just sit aside and pout while posing seductively if they got into a fight like this, but nope. She holds her own. Thinking, however, that even once they've got out, they're in a lot of trouble... I mean, it looks like an invasion from the Sov perspective doesn't it?

Sin/Dex - Very nice. I've been enjoying this run, and this story is just as good. The end was the best part (I liked the battle in the middle) but I had a problem with one line: 'Making the world an asshole free place, nine millimetres at a time...'
Haven't we already established that they don't just kill assholes? They kill whoever they're PAID to kill. Hm, careful there Dan...

Rogue Trooper - Very nice, very nice. I'm assuming this feeds into the old stories somehow, but I got most of it. It seemed very... .complete. And it was certainly enjoyable. Art was just... .Mwah!

Bec and Kawl - Nice, different stuff. Makes me giggle occasionally. Can't complain really.

Durham Red - Almost over now. I liked it (thought her going into Strontium Dog mode was pretty nice) and I'm looking forward toi the final conclusion, just to watch it all get destroyed...

Nerve Centre - More Chopper details here, sounds good! And a mention of that BBC Cult 'Vampires' thingy.

Input - Noticed that it revels that Robo-Hunter is back in prog 1406! From Grant and Gibson again. Huzzah! Unless it isn't your thing...
Oh, and is that a letter from Dudley I spy? Why yes, it might just be!

Art

That's funny, she seems to have lost her helmet...http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/hires/1385.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

Another okay prog. Cover's a bit bland but at least it represents an image from inside instead of a stock pose thing.

Dredd - battle action, fun. Conclusion looming, interesting.

Sin Dex - finale of new style stories ends run on good note. Loose end - stolen disc.

Rogue Trooper - oddly quiet ending. Expecting big battle, gun fight. Expectations subverted.

Bec and Kawl - Enjoying it, but I always do. Don't think it'll convert doubters.

Durham Red - bring on the grand finale please. 'Last ever' next week according to Tharg.

The Amstor Computer

Cover: Could have been a bit more dynamic, but it's a nice group pose.

Dredd: Enjoying this more action-filled Dredd, although I'm not keen on some of the dialogue. Still, a prog highlight.

Sin/Dex: A solid conclusion to an OK tale from the gunsharks. The introduction of Kal Cutter has livened things up a little, and the return of Andy Clarke to art duties has given that side of the strip a boost. It's filler, but a step above Dan Abnett's run on The VCs and Durham Red.

Rogue Trooper: Although the art hasn't hit the peaks it did in the first two episodes, it's still the best thing about this - apparently final - Rogue tale. It does seem to have been an oddly pointless return to this character, despite Gordon Rennie's best efforts - part of the problem with writing stories about a character that, by the guidelines in which the strip has been set, cannot actually do anything significant to the character or his world.

If Tharg wants to bring back Rogue, I'd advise him to follow John Wagner's example with Strontium Dog: a one-off story once or twice a year, set in original Rogue continuity. The longer runs, along with the attempt to give Rogue new ongoing "quests" aren't doing the character any favours.

Bec and Kawl: DXB's right - this isn't converting doubters. There's nothing in it for people who don't already like it, but I'm sure there's plenty for those that do. Don't like the art, don't like the humour.

Durham Red: "Last ever"? Hopefully, as this is WELL past sell-by. The art is slightly better than last week, but it's still looking scrappy & rushed, and well below what Mark Harrison is capable of.

Overall, this wasn't a great prog, but it hasn't been a great run of stories. I'm looking forward to the new clutch of thrills, but I hope we can move away from the Assault format soon, and into something that can bring a bit more balance to the prog, rather than just rebooting the lineup every couple of months.

Max Kon

what i only just got my meg today and u have the next prog?? Whaaaaa?

The Amstor Computer

Heh - I reckon it's something to do with the Easter weekend. Either Rebellion sent the progs early, or the Post Office have been speedy delivering them.

Oddboy

That's a Saturday delivery two weeks running! Good work posties!

Droid Life - best Future Shock possibly ever (not counting Past Imperfects, Arthur).  A call again to Tharg to relent from his MUST BE FIVE PAGES rule - sometimes less is more.

Dredd, lovely stuff, and a real l-o-l moment with Guthrie's 'why I signed up' line.

SinDex - good ending to a good run.
Rogue - likewise, but I'd add the word 'very' a couple of times to that.

B&K really enjoying this, fun.

Durham Red - getting better, felt like more happened this episode then in the previous three together. Really liked her characterisation this prog, bringing her back to her S/D roots.
Next week: Last EVER Durham Red story, eh Tharg? Looking forward to it (in a +ve way).

Also, big-up to Dudley for his input.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Oddboy

O can I also just say that my back-prog reading has brought me up to the prog (#1287) that was out the week I first joined 2000ADonline.com? Nostalgia-tastic!

And the Dexter 9mm line this week - yeah it was very out-of-place and not-true, but it sounded cool. I reckon that these gunsharks really believe they're doing good, even if *we* know they're emotionless sociopathic serial killing mercenaries.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Art

There probably isn't that great a market for for Hitmen who AREN'T  emotionless sociopathic serial killing mercenaries. Unless its a John Woo film and turning nice can be brought in as a bit of character developmenet miodway through (ooh! a crying child! I bet kill my gangster mates instead now) then pretending otherwise strikes a bit of a false note. And you can only really do that John Woo thing ONCE. Doing it multiple times throughout an ongoing series would just be crap.

That was kind of the problem I always had with Hitman too, despite it being otherwise great.

Queen Firey-Bou

woo HOO !  got mine earlye too;

droid life great.

Dredd, great, twists , turns & explosions and lots of getting involved with the action.. er... that is i was going "wooo ", "oh shit !" etc through it, whereas with

Rogue, i was like, um... eh?... why? nice art tho.

durham, lovely space, scribbley people, good plot.. bit intreiged that the mind bogglingly powerful offspring is suddenly less of a threat than the cranky wifey tho.

BEC & Kawl, well Si, is still my hero og the week for the spurrious pseudo mention of the other queen Bou, so he can do no wrong... and it makes me giggle.

sin dex ? great art, but puleeeeeeeeeese with the 9mm thing? will they make their minds up? are they cold killers or heros or what?

input; hurrah to dudley ! tho i disagree total & must have a scrap about it....

Wake

I won't get my copy until Thursday when I go back to work, so please could someone email me the progs credit details so I can upload the prog to the database. I already have the cover image.

Cheers,

Wake

ESCUBRIA

I think the cover is top notch, quite different for Dredd.

longmanshort

Can anyone spot the mistake on the front cover that DOESN'T appear on the version shown on this thread? (either that or it's only on my copy ...)
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

The Amstor Computer

Yep - the word "and" printed on Dredd's belt. I'm guessing it was left in when the design droids were setting out the front page. Someone probably decided to try an ampersand instead of text for the tagline, pulled the word out of the way & forgot to delete it before it went to printing.

Give it a week & you'll see a copy on eBay along with a special "staple-free" copy of 1363 ;-)