Main Menu

Prog 1385

Started by Mr D, 10 April, 2004, 07:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longmanshort

dammit, there was me thinking I was reeeeally observant ...
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dudley

Yay!  Go me!

(What did I say?  Can't remember.  Probably something cool, though.  Yes, definitely something cool.)

Queen Firey-Bou

hey duds, have a good holiday ?

my prog is the same as cover above, no mistakes no 'and'...

Trout

I loved the cover and Gulag is increasingly violent and exciting. Good stuff!

Droidlife's great, and my other highlight this week is Tharg's revelation that next week's will be "the last-ever episode of Durham Red."
Hopefully that doesn't mean we'll have the same thing in another guise.

Otherwise, B&K and Rogue Trooper were reasonable stuff, and SinDex was a half-decent ending.

Overall, a ho-hum prog dragged up to proper thrill power levels by the Dredd, which, yet again, is The Best Thing In The Prog, IMO.

- Trout

Oddboy

Longy/Blackblood - could either of you scan your freaky AND prog for the rest of us to see?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Jared Katooie

"my other highlight this week is Tharg's revelation that next week's will be "the last-ever episode of Durham Red." "

YES!!!

GermanAndy

well, so-so prog.

Doid-Life: best Future shock in ages *g

Dredd: nice battle. confess I groaned a little bit at the savior from the sky bit. Rico is there. Or isn?t he? we?ll see.

Sin/Dex: I too am tired of the gunsharks, but the art was great. Liked the last remark though

Rogue: Okay, he had to get free, but I don?t buy this "favour" thing one minute. Put a bullet in him and be rid of him. Would save the life of hundreds of your men, Arkhan :-)

B&K: sorry, hate it. This is unfunny and contrived.

Durham: have to re-read it. Don?t get it. What did what?s her name think Durham would do with the Offspring? Sacrifive thousands of soldieres and your ships just to have a nice chat with him?

The Amstor Computer

No scanner, I'm afraid. It's not really that exciting, but if you want I can try and get to the library to scan my copy in...

Scottiepunk

Yeah!!! I've got a dogy one:

http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/Scottiepunk/1385_Cover.jpg>

Mr C

Limited Edition collectors Items!
Limited Edition collectors Items!
Get yore Limited Edition collectors Items here!
Get 'em while they're dodgy!

Leigh S

Dredd:  Am I the only person not particularly convinced by this story...? Dredd does a lot of tough guy posturing, and he's really just making things worse for MC1 isnt he?  Trespassings one thing, wiping out hundreds of Sovs is another... Presumably Hershey will fire him when he gets back (or are we in Lost in Space/Dr Smith territory, where Hershey will cut his cake ration and tell him not to do it again).  

Anyone else think that the version of Dredd they keep in their head would have surrendered and took the consequences?  Dredds generic tough guy stuff probably isnt helped by everyone else trying to out tough each other - Ocks "I'm hard me", Guthrie "I'm hard too" etc, etc.  The weirdiest example of this is an unlikely Med Judge spending her time in an unlikely fashion making up unlikely exploding blood gadgets (presumably before perfecting the toaster that works on contact with elastoplasts, and the car that runs off the contents of bed pans).  Lots of bang bang shooty to e sure, but all a bit "Dreddless".

sin Dex.  If Abnett hadnt spent 100 of pages showing us that Dexter had some scruples and wrestled with his conscience, this might work.  If we hadnt been sold a hundred different cod philosophies, all of which were contradicted in the next run of stories, this might work.  As it is, theres no tension in Sin Dex, as the rules will almost certainly change with their next outing.  A shame, as the idea of self deluding hit men has a lot of potential either way, but its a strip that has cried wolf once too often for me.

Rogue:  Well, I was enjoying it (despite more "tough guy" dialogue from the Renster), until I was told that this was the last one, and it stops once again in an awkward non-end - poor old Rogue - destined to be fudged and forgotten rather than nurtured... what was the pint of it if you havent got the courage to see it through properly.. more thought from editorial before these relaunches might not be a bad thing (Robo Hunter strikes me as another potential fizzler outer due to lack of planning before the revive button was pressed)

Bec N Kawl - more Random, less of this would be preferable to this reader - I like my humour to flow naturally from the story, rather than gags - while some of the gags work, some are more than a little forced, or just plain go over my head

Red: cant end soon enough.

on the plus side, droid life was fun

Oddboy

I've recently read the first two Bec & Kawl stories - they're *really* good, very enjoyable. More B&K I say. I'd like to see more of them at college though - or have they left college now that Si's graduated? ;)

Having checked my prog, I do have the special AND belt version! Never noticed it first time, until you lot pointed it out.  Freaky!
Better set your phaser to stun.

Cthulouis

i realise the next prog is already being reviewed, but what the hell.

Like the Watcher, I don't like this Dredd story much, and was very supprised to see that everyone on the net seemed to like it. Dredd seemed completely out of character, especially in the first part. If Dredd disagrees with other Judges, he usually reasons with them logicaly. he dosent just go into a strop and say "im Dredd, so im right, so there!"
the same applied to Rico, though it has been sugested that this could be showing some inherent flaw in him that we are yet to see. sadly, it just seemed that neither of the Dredds were staying true to character. so far, this story doesn't seem to have amounted to anything. usually when the Sovs turn up, they provide a damn good story (the first pages of the first epesode filled me with such hopes) but here they just feel like a random enemy with scenes straight out of any of the standard "dredd leads group against badguys" mega epic.

this most recent Rouge story disapointed me, up until this last part, which somehow made the entire story a bit better. Ive enjoyed all the new Rouge arc, but how come we didn't get to see more of that venus bluegenes look alike we saw a few christmasses back?

Bec and Kawl i usually love, but with this one i just didnt get the joke. or rather i did, it just wasnt funny. come to think of it, the only other Bec and Kawl story i didn't like was the first one with the weed plant guy in. hmm, a conection possibly?

Im new to Durham Red, having only started following her adventures with the Death Prog. only really started to like her by the end of the vermin stars, at which point she died. oh well i thought, never mind. then came her appearences in the megazine, whcih made me happy to see her return for the new story. book one was great. book 2 lacks something. i think the problem is that the god like badguy thing has been done so many times before (im thinking Kid Marvelman and Jaspers from Captain Britain as well as others) and this story hasn't really shown us enough of the Offspring for us to see how cool and evil and he is. (yes, hes wiped out humanity, but we've all wanted to do that at some point, so it doesn't count)

sin dex have been good recently, but its been as though they have been trying to hold the entire comic together, and though they're good, they arnt that good.

perhaps the main problem is that last year was so rich in thrills, that this recent slip back to the averageness of the pre rebellion era is a little disapointing, especially as the storyies before this crop were damned good (especially the Dredds)  

Max Kon

i had the 'and' too