Main Menu

Favourite CURRENT Art Droids Tourney - Entrants

Started by Colin YNWA, 11 October, 2020, 07:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

I've started a thread to 'launch' the first of two tournaments that I plan to run next and they will be running in parallel. (Copied text cos as I've said I'm lazy) They'll be a Favourite Classic Art Droid to celebrate Droids past and a Favourite Current Art Droids Tourney. Both of these will play to an end. Then we'll go back and run a short play off to find the overall Favourite Art Droid.

Let's talk Current ART Droids. These are Droids who are still active in the Prog. So those who've done a series, significent number of Dredds, or Cliff Robinson (see notes elsewhere!). I've used Prog 2000 as a cut off point, or the equivalent Meg 376(ish). These are Droids that we'd not be too surprised, though we'd be delighted, to see gracing the Prog at any point still. There may be other reasons why, alas, we know a Droid's work for Tharg has finished, these to will be in the Classic section, even if they have had a series since Prog 2000.

Both tournments will consist of 32 Droids. For the Current Droids I have 44 nominated (see note below) and so we need to whittle that down. As I want the tournaments to be primarily about quality not quantity (past a certain benchmark) I'm only putting 8 Droid through to the tourney proper automatically (based on the fantastic work of AlexF from Heroes of 2000ad Blog Spot http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/) and so we'll have 36 Droids in qualifying to get the final 24 slots.

I'll post 2 lists today. The 8 automatic qaulifiers and the 36 droids in qualifying. Then this week I'll start to drop in some Posts with 'rules' and tournement structure and what not and hope to have this all set up for qualifying to start Monday 19th (is it???). But we'll see.

Colin YNWA

Automatically Qualified Art Droids (based on total work for Tharg not just since Prog 2000 and equivalent Meg)

Steve Yeowell
Henry Flint
Simon Davis
Colin MacNeil
Clint Langley
John Burns
D'Israeli
Paul Marshall

That's a pretty smashing line-up I think you'll agree.

Colin YNWA

Current Art Droids in qualifying - let me know if you think I've got anyone in these list wrong OR you think I've missed anyone.

Richard Elson
Mark Harrison
Cliff Robinson
Simon Fraser
Patrick Goddard
John Higgins
Cat Sullivan
Brendan McCarthy
Boo Cook
PJ Holden
Simon Coleby
INJ Culbard
Leigh Gallagher
Chris Weston
Ben Wilsher
Nick Percival
Karl Richardson
Lee Carter
Dom Reardon
Rufus Dayglo
David Kendall
Neil Googe
Staz Johnson
Warren Pleece
David Taylor
Nick Dyer
Michael Dowling
Paul Davidson
Jimmy Broxton
Dan Cornwell
Tom Foster
Nicolo Assirelli
David Roach
Tiernen Trevallion
Jake Lynch
Phil Winslade

AlexF

Like, obviously we all have our own biases, but I'd be inclined to move a bunch of these droids into the 'Autimatically qualifying' list - I'm not quite sure how the numbers work out but could you not have 16 in the automatic list, and then whittle down the remaining 28 droids to just 16?

I'd nominate this lot to be 'automatic qualifiers', in some cases because they have a foot in both 'classic' and 'current' camps:

Richard Elson
Mark Harrison
Chris Weston
John Higgins
Patrick Goddard
Simon Fraser
Leigh Gallagher
Brendan McCarthy

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

That's defo a good list and as you say most of those have a foot in both camps - though Current supercedes Classic - should probably mention that somewhere.

These a couple of things holding me back from just saying yes.

1) The numbers for qualifying are a little awkward. We'd need to get from 28 remaining to 16 which is a little trickly. Could go 7 groups of 4 with two going through and then a play-off for the final 2 places could be fun (or 2 places go to the highest scoring runners up... that could work couldn't it. Or we find four more qualifers and then it becomes and easy 32 down to 16. I'm sure we could find 4 more newer artists, which would be good.

2) Would other folks have a different list of automatic qualifiers BUT I can live with that since two folks who have contributed a lot to these tournaments defo deserve a voice .

Other thoughts? If not I'll sleep on it.

Colin YNWA

Just had a quick dig and I could add 4 of Stewart Kenneth Moore, Eduardo Ocana (from a personal point of view would love to as I love their art!), Simon Parr, Andrea Mutti or maybe Antonia Fuso and still be in my self imposed parameters.

hmmmm...

Colin YNWA

Okay let's go with that as I think its clear that those you've nominated will almost certainly qualify anyway. To remove any biase though I will go with the top 16 quantity eise.

It's a good job we're doing this as looking at it I seem to have messed up my listing so I'll reorganise and get it all sorted hopefully today then post a new list and format.

AlexF

I didn't even think of the option of adding MORE names to make the numbers balance out - genius!
Your list there is a solid one, too - I do hope we seee more SK Moore in the Prog. Mutti vs Fuso is a tough call - I guess Mutti has more credits to his name so that makes as much sense as anything?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 13 October, 2020, 09:04:18 AM
I didn't even think of the option of adding MORE names to make the numbers balance out - genius!
Your list there is a solid one, too - I do hope we seee more SK Moore in the Prog. Mutti vs Fuso is a tough call - I guess Mutti has more credits to his name so that makes as much sense as anything?

Well I've fumbled the numbers anyway, so I'll do a bit of work on that and get a new list out. I think... think it'll end up at 40 in qualifying after the 16 automatics (yes, yes it was a BIG fumble!) if I add a couple more. So I've look at the five I suggested and do a quick count... or maybe just treat myself to my favourites if I'm feeling lazy!

Colin YNWA

Right I've sorted out the mess I'd made of the 'Current' tourney entrants and alas that only left one slot to add and did a quick bit of number crunching over lunch and Simon Parr gets the next slot. Have to be honest I'd have liked one of the freshly minted droids just for the newness BUT I love Simon Parr's work and for some reason I've got it in my head that we know more Intestinauts is coming so he's only adding to his haul so its good that he's included.

So can we ignore EVERYTHING in this thread so far as its bourne from my dumbheadedness and start fresh.

The Tourney will consist of 16 automatic qualifiers and then qualifying will be 8 votes consisting of 5 droids in each with the top 2 going into the tourney proper. Not quite as tough as Classics BUT looking at the names involved theres going to be some hard cuts.

Lists to follow...

Colin YNWA

Automatically Qualified Art Droids (based on total work for Tharg not just since Prog 2000 and equivalent Meg)

Steve Yeowell
Henry Flint
Simon Davis
Colin MacNeil
Clint Langley
John Burns
D'Israeli
Paul Marshall
Richard Elson
Mark Harrison
Cliff Robinson
Simon Fraser
Patrick Goddard
John Higgins
Brendan McCarthy
Boo Cook

That's a pretty smashing line-up I think you'll agree.

Colin YNWA

Current Art Droids in qualifying - let me know if you think I've got anyone in these list wrong OR you think I've missed anyone:

Cat Sullivan
PJ Holden
Simon Coleby
INJ Culbard
Leigh Gallagher
Chris Weston
Ben Willsher
Nick Percival
Karl Richardson
Lee Carter
Dom Reardon
Rufus Dayglo
David Kendall
Neil Googe
Staz Johnson
Warren Pleece
David Taylor
Nick Dyer
Michael Dowling
Paul Davidson
Jimmy Broxton
Dan Cornwell
Tom Foster
Nicolo Assirelli
David Roach
Tiernen Trevallion
Jake Lynch
Phil Winslade
David Kendall
Neil Googe
Staz Johnson
Warren Pleece
Dave Taylor
Nick Dyer
Michael Dowling
Paul Davidson
Jimmy Broxton
Dan Cornwell
Tom Foster
Simon Parr

Colin YNWA

Oh gosh this is getting embarrassing. In coming to make the draw I realised I'd now double logged some folks and so we have a new list (I really hope the last!).

The automatic qualifiers remains the same but we now have 32 Art Droids to fit into the last 16 spots with the addition of most of the new folks I listed below.

Those 32 are (I hope!)

Cat Sullivan
PJ Holden
Simon Coleby
INJ Culbard
Leigh Gallagher
Chris Weston
Ben Willsher
Nick Percival
Karl Richardson
Lee Carter
Dom Reardon
David Roach
Rufus Dayglo
Tiernan Trevallion
Jake Lynch
Phil Winslade
Dave Kendall
Neil Googe
Staz Johnson
Warren Pleece
Dave Taylor
Nick Dyer
Michael Dowling
Paul Davidson
Jimmy Broxton
Dan Cornwell
Tom Foster
Nicolo Assirella
Simon Parr
Stewart Kenneth Moore
Eduardo Ocana
Andrea Mutti

Colin YNWA

Well I've just done the draw and i have to say I think decisions are harder here, even though there's only 4 in each group. The reason is picking 2 from 8 in the 'Classic' tourney you are forced to accept that superb talent will go.

When you look to pick two from four I found it harder reaching that callous chopping point. There is some ridiculous good talent working on the Prog and Meg at the moment.