Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

That's partly what I mean. It's doesn't even mesh with my friend's actual position on gun control. There would've been less eye rolling if he'd just typed a few sentences himself instead of letting fan page pics speak for him.  >:(

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Why go to the bother of typing forming your own opinion and then type out  ALL!  THOSE!  WORDS!* When you can just let a meme speak for you?

*Grammatically correct, no less**

**The most important thing to remember when correcting someone's grammar is this: EVERYONE HATES YOU
You may quote me on that.

MercZ

Quote from: House of Usher on 31 January, 2013, 10:10:04 PM
P.P.S. - and the use of the phrase 'outlawing guns,' seeing as I don't know of anyone, anywhere, currently advocating such a move.

A lot of the spin machine in the United States is painting the gun control debate as a slippery slope type deal- give way for the smaller things and before you know it, bam, dictatorship.

I never understood that train of logic but it's common here in the US. Godwin law is even invoked because they talk about how Nazi Germany confiscated weapons, which lead to the holocaust. I'm not joking about that, comes up on bumper stickers here alot.

COMMANDO FORCES

What about Douglas Huhne, perjury from a politician  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Frank

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 February, 2013, 05:18:35 AM
What about Douglas Huhne, perjury from a politician  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mean Chris Huhne's been lying about his name too? Not a smart move to involve your missus in a criminal conspiracy then dump her for a younger model. Like they always say, if he does that to the woman he loved imagine what he'd be prepared to do to the anonymous voting public.

Stan

Well he did give us a by-election so I'll try not to hold him in too much contempt. Maybe the Lib Dems can even walk away with their deposit on this one. That should be nice for them. I just hope it's soon anyway.

COMMANDO FORCES

How on earth did Douglas come out of the keyboard (slaps forehead) what a twat :lol:

Trout

I suspect you were thinking of former Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home (pronounced "hume").

Eric Plumrose

Wot, no one here's mentioned this?

Ah, ya buncha homophobes.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

COMMANDO FORCES

Brilliant news isn't it and it only took a Conservative leader to get the ball rolling :D

Dandontdare

yup, and even better, it may kill his career! Win-Win situation!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 07 February, 2013, 03:27:36 PM
Brilliant news isn't it and it only took a Conservative leader to get the ball rolling :D

Yep but he wasn't there, just tweet it...? What a coward!

COMMANDO FORCES

I can't recall New Labour putting this forward in the 13 years they were in power, or did I miss something inbetween wars and the gap between the rich and poor expanding ever more!

Frank

It was pressure from Liberal party coalition partners which pushed the issue up the agenda. This is the kind of thing only the Tories can get away with while in power - the New Labour Project's cowed terror of negative headlines from the Daily Mail meant they could never take something like this on, while Dave can rely on them reverting to type and falling into line when it comes to the next election.

Ditto regarding cutting the budgets of the military and the police - soft-on-crime Blair and chums would have been slaughtered for implementing the coalition's cutbacks in those areas, but the perception of the Conservatives as being the party of the establishment and law and order means they're regarded as necessary economies, rather than driven by ideology or weakness.

It's a corollary of the rule that means the ruling classes have to wait until their red party are in power before they can get away with embedding free market principles in the daily operation of the health and social welfare services. The left and liberal-leaning sections of the press would be up in arms if Dave & Co tried to introduce similar (ahem!) reforms or -as you point out - start a series of illegal and ruinous wars for no good reason and to no real effect.

Richmond Clements

I could almost agree with that, if half of them hadn't actually voted against equality for their fellow citizens.