Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

We have taken a light touch with this thread, as it is inevitably a place for strong opinions.

However, it is now getting out of hand.

Personal attacks of all types will stop and they will stop now, otherwise this thread will be locked, deleted, and the entire forum will be on its final warning.

Thank you.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Molch-R on 31 July, 2014, 10:19:25 AM
Personal attacks of all types will stop and they will stop now, otherwise this thread will be locked, deleted, and the entire forum will be on its final warning.

To be fair, the entire purpose of this thread is to contain the kind of dickwaddery that overruns other online forums to a single thread. There are many, many posters who (very sensibly) don't touch this thread with a bargepole and, of those who do, only a tiny fraction have been involved in the ill-tempered exchanges that have boiled up over the last few pages.

I will put my hand up and take my share of the responsibility for that, particularly for rising to a bait when it would have been better if I'd walked away. I'll apologise for that lack of judgement, both to you (as Tharg's proxy here) and to the many uninvolved forum members, and urge you not to hold the wider forum to account for the behaviour of a tiny fraction of its members.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

ZenArcade

Be a pity if this thread were locked/deleted, not withstanding bouts of ill temper and adverse reaction, there are some damn good debates on here. But I support the warning. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Noisybast

Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 July, 2014, 09:15:58 AM
(For your information, I voted Conservative in the Newark by-election this June because I was damned if I was going to live in the first constituency in the UK to return a UKIP MP, particularly a homophobic, racist cretin like Roger Helmer.)

Interesting tactical vote, and it perhaps demonstrates that UKIP aren't such a big threat to the Tories at the next election as they have been painted. Tactically voting Lab or LibDem to keep out the Conservatives has been widespread for years, but now there's a party to the right of the political wing of the Bullingdon Club they may actually benefit themselves from the practice.

Next year's election is going to be pretty exciting...

The Legendary Shark

Next year's election is going to be just as pointless as all the previous ones. Despite the promises, nothing will change except the depth of our debt, which will increase steadily as usual.
And if Cameron's voted out, he'll get a job at a bank instead and never want for anything again - except maybe a clear conscience.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Frank

Saying you knew George Osbourne, and posting pictures of him at your flat with his arm around you to prove it, is now a criminal offence which will see you arrested by police and charged with abusive behaviour:

http://beforeitsnews.com/eu/2014/07/woman-arrested-for-posting-photo-of-george-osborne-at-prostitutes-flat-2565670.html

ZenArcade

I have a feeling this thread will be locked very soon. Z :lol:

JamesC

Quote from: sauchie post office on 01 August, 2014, 12:14:30 PM

Saying you knew George Osbourne, and posting pictures of him at your flat with his arm around you to prove it, is now a criminal offence which will see you arrested by police and charged with abusive behaviour:

http://beforeitsnews.com/eu/2014/07/woman-arrested-for-posting-photo-of-george-osborne-at-prostitutes-flat-2565670.html

If this is true it sets an incredibly dangerous precident. I'm surprised it's not a bigger story.

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 01 August, 2014, 12:30:39 PM
If this is true it sets an incredibly dangerous precident. I'm surprised it's not a bigger story

The picture itself was mentioned briefly on the news before I went to bed the other night, but all trace of the story has since disappeared. I learned about the apparent self censoring of the story by the media from PJ Holden posting a feature the BBC had done on the dangers of trying to suppress stories making them bigger news ... because they can't/won't talk about the actual story itself. I can't decide whether this is Kafka or Orwell.

Hoagy

"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

ZenArcade

I see Barak's admitted they tortured some 'folks'. I wonder did they serve them some apple pie and soda pop up at the old homestead afterwards. Z

NapalmKev

Quote from: ZenArcade on 02 August, 2014, 11:10:39 AM
I see Barak's admitted they tortured some 'folks'. I wonder did they serve them some apple pie and soda pop up at the old homestead afterwards. Z

Torture is apparently ok when Western powers Deign fit to do it. I wonder how Obama would feel if he was being tortured? He'd probably be fine with it as long as It's for the 'Greater Good'.

It also reminds me of several documentaries I've seen about UTILITARIANISM. The most morally reprehensible acts can be perpetrated in the name of Peace and Freedom. (I can't find the link at the mo' but the gist of one such interview with an advocate of Utilitarianism was that he would justify the torture of a criminals/terrorists Children if the result was that said Criminal/terrorist revealed information that could "Save Lives", an argument I feel is a total Crock of Shit!!)

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

ZenArcade

It is obviously the torture which is most offensive; but to couch it in pseudo, homely, white picket fence phraseology dreamt up by some snivelling spin doctor scum ensconced in some lobbyist office within the beltway is the utter limit. Z