Main Menu

Solicitations for May DC/2000 AD are out: Sin Dex, Anderson, ABC Warriors

Started by Grant Goggans, 15 February, 2005, 07:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

SINISTER DEXTER VOL. 3: SLAY PER VIEW

Written by Dan Abnett; Art by Sean Phillips, Greg Staples, Simon Davis,

Finnigan Sinister and Ramone Dexter are gunsharks: hired killers with chalk outlines around their souls. In SLAY PER VIEW, Ramone's got a serious problem ? he thinks he might be a notorious serial killer called the Blevmoi Butcher!

2000 AD  |  240pg.  |  Color  |  Softcover  |  $19.99 US  |  Mature Readers

On Sale May 4, 2005

JUDGE ANDERSON VOL. 1: ANDERSON ? PSI DIVISION

Written by John Wagner and Alan Grant; Art by Brett Ewins, Cliff Robinson, Robin Smith, Barry Kitson, Jeff Anderson and Will Simpson; cover by Arthur Ranson
Cassandra Anderson is a member of Psi-Division, the psychic section of the Justice Department. A precognitive telepath and empath, she can detect crimes before they're even committed!
In this first collection of Anderson stories written by John Wagner (BATMAN) and Alan Grant (LOBO), with art by Brett Ewins (SKREEMER), Cliff Robinson, Robin Smith, Barry Kitson (LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES), Jeff Anderson and Will Simpson (VAMPS), Cassandra must face the horror of the Dark Judges once more, enter a demonic realm in a quest to save a young boy's life, and face Orlok, the terrifying assassin who nearly destroyed Mega-City One!

2000 AD  |  192pg.  |  B&W  |  Softcover  |  $14.99 US

On Sale May 11, 2005

ABC WARRIORS VOL. 2: THE BLACK HOLE

Written by Pat Mills; Art and cover by Simon Bisley

The A.B.C. Warriors are back in this explosive collection written by Pat Mills (Slaine) and featuring the ultra-dynamic art of Simon Bisley (LOBO, Heavy Metal)! When the far-future evil empire of Termight begins experimenting with time-travel, they unleash a force that could destroy the entire universe!

2000 AD  |  136pg.  |  B&W  |  Softcover  |  $14.99 US

On Sale May 18, 2005

Artwork for each is markedly different from the placeholders found on Amazon.  Sin Dex is using a Brashill(?) cover from Mother Lode & the Red Admiral (prog 1094, I think), Anderson (great logo!) is using a Kitson cover from Hour of the Wolf (prog 529), and ABC Warriors is using prog 556's cover.  (No love for SMS in the solicitation, though he's credited on the cover.)  MUCH better-looking than what has been solicited the last few months!  Follow the link below to see the covers.

--Grant

Link: http://dccomics.com/comics/?dat=20050501&s=31" target="_blank">DC Comics in May

IndigoPrime

Excellent Sin/Dex cover, and I agree that the Anderson logo is pretty neat. I've never been convinced by that ABC Warriors pic, but it's good to see the covers generally improving, and actually being relevant to the contents.

Bolt-01

That Anderson logo is really nice. Didn't think much at first glance but it's really good.

Bolt-01

Oddboy

Well - solicit.s tend only to mention people's names if they can put something noticable in brackets after them... I understand that SMS didn't do any comic work after The Black Hole.
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

Art

He did some background work for Luther Arkwright: Heart Of Empire. LMS would be able to tell you more about it than me.

The Amstor Computer

Nice catch, Grant!

The Sin/Dex cover is pretty good - I had wondered if they'd keep with the previous volumes and go with a Greg Staples cover, but the only other covers he's worked on aren't really appropriate (coming from after "Eurocrash", IIRC). Still a shame that SB Davis hasn't had a look-in, given his role in defining the Sin/Dex look & all the work he's done on the series.

The Anderson logo is OK. It's certainly a great deal better than the naff one used on the Hamlyn reprints, but I still think that something like this, or this.

The ABC cover is alright - much better than the awful first placeholder - and to be fair it's probably the only suitable one for the Black Hole period. It should be easier to find a cover for a (possible) third volume, but it's a damn shame that commissioning new covers wasn't an option - it would have added to the attraction of the books, and it given Rebellion a chance to get something perfectly suited to the contents, rather than trying to find something from the archives.

Overall, a pretty good pair of covers and one stinker. The preview images look to be higher image quality as well, which is nice after some of the pixellated placeholders recently.

Richmond Clements

SMS has also done some work on the Hellraiser comic line.

Art

I remeber thinking this cover way incredibly cool at the time... I'm, ah, slightly less keen on it now. Hammerstein in particular looks a bit weird.http://dccomics.com/media/covers/3020_180x270.jpg">

Oddboy

Looking at them both together - the original prog 556 cover still does look a lot better IMO, probably to do with the dusky colours make it look more atmospheric (and the 2K logo detracts from Hammerstein's head!) - strange that bright reproduction should be a bad thing!

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/556.jpg">http://dccomics.com/media/covers/3020_180x270.jpg">
Better set your phaser to stun.