Main Menu

Urban Dead - going horribly wrong?

Started by House of Usher, 25 November, 2006, 02:45:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

House of Usher

When I began playing Urban Dead, it had quite a bit of novelty, and gave me something diverting to do at my desk at work. My first character began as a lone and frightened survivor in a zombie-overrun suburb, hid himself inside an auto repair shop, and got discovered and killed by a zombie in under a day.

While he wandered around as a zombie attacking other zombies and acquiring zombie skills, my next character was lucky enough to begin outside a Caiger Mall, and used Pagram Library as a safe house until he got the Free Running ability. He got every survivor skill going before he left Caiger Mall to find more interesting places to live where he could do more good.

Eventually I ended up with 5 characters.

Now the game has started to get boring, because the zombies are too organised. They have the benefit of the internet, email, wiki pages and the same full map of the city used by survivors. They have human spies. Zombie players also have human characters who know where the survivors are. All of this enables zombies to mobilise in their hundreds, sweeping the city one suburb at a time, destroying everything in their path. If you kill a zombie it can just stand up again and resume its rampage at no cost, whereas if a survivor gets killed he has to find someone to revive him, get an infection cured, and get to safety.

Where I think Urban Dead may be going horribly wrong is that a situation may soon arise where there are too few human survivors left to keep the game in balance - if the zombies are killing humans faster than humans can revive zombies, then sooner or later almost everyone will be playing zombie characters. Won't that be a bit boring? Won't the game then be effectively over?

I think part of the problem is that when zombies are killed, they just get up again with their full number of hit points restored. Apart from clearing them out of buildings, what is the point of killing zombies when it doesn't really do them any harm?
STRIKE !!!

opaque

There is the point that theres a limit to what you can learn as a Zombie so after a certain point whats the point of that?

I think changes likes the recent refortification of the Malls and Forts make the game a bit better but you have some good points.

DavidXBrunt

A lot of very good points. I still play but it's things like the Killing Game that have kept my interest. Once you reach a certain point you pretty much have to abandon your character and start again for it to be a challenge.

Still, the first post on the board was in April so 8 months or so of free entertainment is pretty good, even if it's limited in scope.

Of course what we need is Daneys MMRPG.

Bico

Like fuck - what we need is that Advance Wars rip-off someone was putting together that pitted Judges against Perps.  If that isn't the definition of online crack-cocaine for 2000ad nerds, I don't know what is.

DavidXBrunt